Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Michael Owen does in Jan what he would have done in Sept, had he signed for us.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
spain? thats about as interesting as the scottish league use to be. only 2 matches matter.

germany is a top league though i agree.
True so how does that differ from the EPL.
Other than they have the worlds best players.

D

Deleted member 18477

owen never won the premiership, he watched man united watch it from the best seats in the house each week. Spent force for years and i cant think of the last time he was viewed as an important player within a squad, newcastle perhaps? liverpool? long time ago anyway, and the only reason he is still in the top league is like most english players, we cant bare to let them go.

he did win the premier league. he has a winners medal. say what you want... he won it!

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
and?
The Current World and European Champions are Spanish, proves nothing.

Championing a league impossible to win, for 18 teams.
10 of which's main aim is to come fourth from bottom.

Presided over by obligarchs and creative accountants.

It's the best league in the world if you are Rupert Murdoch, and no offence I doubt he lives in Southend.

This.

Sick of the "best league in the world TM" bollocks.

Most competitive? No, only 2 (sometimes 3) sides can actually win the damn thing. Compare that to the Bundesliga, where anyone from 6 or 7 are usually in with a shout, even in the latter stages of the season.

Best technically? :lolol:

Most exciting? In terms of goals, possibly. In terms of unpredictably, never. Wow, Man City won again? Who'd have thought it?!

Can't believe people lap up the bollocks Sky feed them.....

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So let me get this right. You're saying Michael Owen ISN'T a spent force, compared to him being one of the most exciting talents in the ENTIRE WORLD 15 years ago? You're honestly saying his career hasn't been a massive disappointment?

Clown.

A massive disappointment? I totally disagree. 440-odd appearances, 200-odd goals over 16 years including 40 in 89 for England.

I'd love to know your opinion on "waster" Jimmy Greaves who, coincidentally, finished playing for England at 28 and bowed out of top flight football at 31.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So, last 10 years only 3 different teams have won La Liga, compared to 5 different teams in the Bundesliga. 4 have won the Premier League...

Winners last 10 years:

Bundesliga
Borussia Dortmund
Borussia Dortmund
Bayern Munich
Wolfsburg
Bayern Munich
Stuttgart
Bayern Munich
Bayern Munich
Werder Bremen
Bayern Munich

La Liga
Real Madrid
Barcelona
Barcelona
Barcelona
Real Madrid
Real Madrid
Barcelona
Barcelona
Valencia
Real Madrid

Premier League
Man City
Man Utd
Chelsea
Man Utd
Man Utd
Man Utd
Chelsea
Chelsea
Arsenal
Man Utd

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Is it that much different to the '80's in English Football (3 teams won it...)??

Liverpool
Arsenal
Liverpool
Everton
Liverpool
Everton
Liverpool
Liverpool
Liverpool

D

Deleted member 18477

23 english teams have won the top flight in england.

29 german teams have won the top flight in germany!!

only 9 have won the spanish league's top flight which makes it comparable to the boring scottish league won by only 11 different teams...

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
So, last 10 years only 3 different teams have won La Liga, compared to 5 different teams in the Bundesliga. 4 have won the Premier League...

Winners last 10 years:

Bundesliga
Borussia Dortmund
Borussia Dortmund
Bayern Munich
Wolfsburg
Bayern Munich
Stuttgart
Bayern Munich
Bayern Munich
Werder Bremen
Bayern Munich

La Liga
Real Madrid
Barcelona
Barcelona
Barcelona
Real Madrid
Real Madrid
Barcelona
Barcelona
Valencia
Real Madrid

Premier League
Man City
Man Utd
Chelsea
Man Utd
Man Utd
Man Utd
Chelsea
Chelsea
Arsenal
Man Utd

Yes, but that doesn't mean that in the Bundesliga, 1-2 teams are 20 points clear at the top of the table in January (as is the case in the EPL and La Liga). A more balanced view would be gained if you put up the Top 4 for these divisions in that time period.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yes, but that doesn't mean that in the Bundesliga, 1-2 teams are 20 points clear at the top of the table in January (as is the case in the EPL and La Liga). A more balanced view would be gained if you put up the Top 4 for these divisions in that time period.

You're point about the top 4 is probably worth looking at (but I don't have the time!). While Spain is dominated by a couple of teams for the top 2, they do have a variation for the next CL positions as does Germany. You'll have to remind me though when the EPL was last won by 20 pts. Goal difference last season, wasn't it down to the last games of the season the 3 seasons before?

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
You're point about the top 4 is probably worth looking at (but I don't have the time!). While Spain is dominated by a couple of teams for the top 2, they do have a variation for the next CL positions as does Germany. You'll have to remind me though when the EPL was last won by 20 pts. Goal difference last season, wasn't it down to the last games of the season the 3 seasons before?

I did put "1/2". Last season it was 2 pulling away early. This year it is also 2.

My point was that a MAMMOTH gap usually opens up somewhere in the Top 4 less than halfway through the season. Whether that is 1st to 2nd, 1st and 2nd to 3rd, or the top 3 pulling away. Usually by this stage of the season, the team in 4th place will be closer in points to the relegation zone than they are to the top of the table. That is not a sign of a healthy league.

This season, Arsenal (5th) are closer in points to WIGAN (18th) than they are to Man Utd.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Most exciting? In terms of goals, possibly. In terms of unpredictably, never. Wow, Man City won again? Who'd have thought it?!

again? was it predictable at kick off on the last day of last season that they would win? i know its a bit over hyped but let not start pretending its a been predictable.
its considered best league because other countries lap it up. i could say why they prefer our over the German, Spanish or what ever but they do.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I did put "1/2". Last season it was 2 pulling away early. This year it is also 2.

My point was that a MAMMOTH gap usually opens up somewhere in the Top 4 less than halfway through the season. Whether that is 1st to 2nd, 1st and 2nd to 3rd, or the top 3 pulling away. Usually by this stage of the season, the team in 4th place will be closer in points to the relegation zone than they are to the top of the table. That is not a sign of a healthy league.

This season, Arsenal (5th) are closer in points to WIGAN (18th) than they are to Man Utd.

But to be fair, would you not agree that the last couple of seasons has seen the most open battle for a top 4 place in the last 15 years of the EPL? Everton, Arsenal, Spurs, even Liverpool are all capable of getting in there, maybe even a complete surprise like Swansea of WBA as an outside chance.

I actually think the EPL does look quite healthy this season. ManUtd are an exception having conceded more goals than anyone in the top 12, and yet still seeing themselves 7 pts clear. Exactly mid placed Liverpool are pretty much exactly equal points from top 3 to bottom 3. This season while the gap from 1st to 3rd is 13 pts, 3rd to 10th is just 11 pts.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
But to be fair, would you not agree that the last couple of seasons has seen the most open battle for a top 4 place in the last 15 years of the EPL? Everton, Arsenal, Spurs, even Liverpool are all capable of getting in there, maybe even a complete surprise like Swansea of WBA as an outside chance.

Yes, but for all the "outside chances".... when was the last time a "non-big club" (so, for me.... Liverpool, Spurs, Everton, Arsenal, Man Utd, Man City and Chelsea) like Swansea or West Brom actually got a Champions League spot? They ALWAYS fall away.

Compare that to the likes of Wolfsburg in Germany. Not a particularly big club, but they won the title recently.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Winners last 10 years:

Bundesliga

Borussia Dortmund
Borussia Dortmund
Bayern Munich
Wolfsburg
Bayern Munich
Stuttgart
Bayern Munich
Bayern Munich
Werder Bremen
Bayern Munich

La Liga
Real Madrid
Barcelona
Barcelona
Barcelona
Real Madrid
Real Madrid
Barcelona
Barcelona
Valencia
Real Madrid

Premier League
Man City
Man Utd
Chelsea
Man Utd
Man Utd
Man Utd
Chelsea
Chelsea
Arsenal
Man Utd

EPL soon to be just 3, as Arsenal's trophy winning, becomes just distant memories for older generations.

Dec 29, 2011
Michael Owen is the biggest twat in football, hate the guy. Clinging on to past glories (shown by the picture) and still thinks he's a top player even though he spends more time at the horses than he does on the football pitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here