Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Michael Owen article - NOT transfer nonsense

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I find it rather sad that, while some of us will carry on kicking a ball around the playing fields of Sussex (or trying to) every Sunday morning until we're carried away in a box, one of the most gifted Englishman ever to play the game would rather not bother unless it's at a level (and for a pay packet) that he doesn't consider beneath him.

He won't play in the Championship - but the only games he got towards the end of his Manchester United career were in the Carling Cup, usually against Championship teams or worse.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
I find it rather sad that, while some of us will carry on kicking a ball around the playing fields of Sussex (or trying to) every Sunday morning until we're carried away in a box, one of the most gifted Englishman ever to play the game would rather not bother unless it's at a level (and for a pay packet) that he doesn't consider beneath him.

He won't play in the Championship - but the only games he got towards the end of his Manchester United career were in the Carling Cup, usually against Championship teams or worse.
spot on,Owen saying he would never play in the championship makes him sound very arrogant especially with so many good sides in the league such as Leeds , wolves, forest etc

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
He's just not interested is he. Hasn't been for years. He just wants to do his racehorse thing.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing

Actually I can understand his point and he's just being honest. If you've spent your career at the highest level I can imagine it would be difficult to motivate yourself to do the training regime for a season against opponents you're not fussed about. Reality is that Owens interests moved away from football years ago.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
He's just not interested is he. Hasn't been for years. He just wants to do his racehorse thing.

That article sums his situation up perfectly. He's quite happy being a 'non-playing football player' as long as some Premier League club with more money than sense is bankrolling his horse racing empire.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Totally agree.

I found it also quite sad seeing the extent of his denial/delusion talking on Goals on Sunday about his contribution at Old Trafford.

He's rationalised the whole thing, pointing to to the odd game in the first of 3 seasons, but he's hardly featured for two whole seasons.

Liverpool fans never loved Owen as much as Fowler right from the start, and maybe part of that was they could just see Fowler loved playing football, whereas Owen is more detached and does it only for a job.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
There was a similar article in the independent yesterday but with a slightly different slant. It was almost saying that Owen is well within his rights to be as picky as he wants because he's been treated like a commodity ever since he was 16 and he should have some choice now in the twilight of his career. Interesting argument but one I find hard to accept and understand because of my love for the game..

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
He was on twitter the other week saying he would not take his kids to a football match because the environment or as a player would never dream of going into the crowd after celebrating as its dangerous

The bloke has lost all touch with reality and comes across as he should be respected and remembered despite clearly not giving a shit about playing

That and his championship comments were just condescending. I have more respect the players like Bellamy who just want games and off the pitch contribute more than just pumping all his money into racehorses

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I saw Bobby Charlton play in the 3rd tier of English football because he loved the game and wanted to play as long as he could. I remember Tommy Hutchison of Coventry playing until he was 40 because he said that there was nothing he loved doing more than turning up every Saturday to play the game he had loved From that very first time he had kicked a ball. Michael Owen does not love the game does he ?
He needs to think back to the days when it meant everything to him, to when the money was incidental and to when watching the back of the net ripple sent him reeling away in ecstasy. Nothing wrong with his interest in horses but he has years ahead to concentrate solely on that. I think he,ll look back in years to come and realise just what he let go of.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
He was on twitter the other week saying he would not take his kids to a football match because the environment or as a player would never dream of going into the crowd after celebrating as its dangerous

The bloke has lost all touch with reality and comes across as he should be respected and remembered despite clearly not giving a shit about playing

That and his championship comments were just condescending. I have more respect the players like Bellamy who just want games and off the pitch contribute more than just pumping all his money into racehorses

Would Bellamy play in the championship if it wasn't for his boyhood club though?

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011

Won`t be doing that for muck longer either,he will not be able to afford it, expect to see reports of him being skint some time soon

Spadge

Sep 21, 2011
Michael Owen does make me laugh! But lets be honest here, for a 30 something footballer who can blame him for refusing to drop down to the championship?

He has spent so much time in treatment rooms and collecting splinters up his arse from the subs bench he has probably played the same amount of games as a top notch current 28 year old, so in theory Mr Owen has plenty of life left in his legs!

Its just a shame his brain is not as big as his ego or he would understand clubs want to sign proven strikers that havent spent there time sat on the subs bench or in treatment rooms, sometimes in life you have to take 2 steps backwards to be able to move forwards again, this guy clearly wont do that.

Michael Owen would of been remembered as an english football legend but unfortunately his name cannot be said in the same breath as David Beckham, Thierry Henry etc. Who incidently both moved of at the end of there careers to america to pick up the final big fat payday that Mr Owen is so desperately looking for on these shores.

Mr Owen your time is up, drop your silly demands and accept clubs wont pay silly money for a bench warmer!

ShanklySeagull

Justice for the 96...
May 30, 2011
Littlehampton
Am I the only one wondering how his horse racing empire will fair once he runs out of football wages to pump into it? If its not operating as a sustainable business now his future doesn't exactly look rosy does it?

Time to prolong his football career as long as possible and max out all possible endorsement opportunities while he scales back his racing ambitions until they deliver a return.

Don't think it looks likely he will drop to Championship though - and if he does it certainly won't be with a Southern-based team.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Won`t be doing that for muck longer either,he will not be able to afford it, expect to see reports of him being skint some time soon

hasn't he also got a property empire, might keep him going for a while longer.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I thought his Goals on Sunday interview was really odd. He was in total denial about being a bench warmer and his 'career' in the last 6/7 years, he was trying to make out that he has actually played loads of games and was still top notch. If he really loved football then he would go to a championship club, resurrect his career and enjoy banging in 25 plus goals in a season. If you love the game then you are happy to play as long as possible wherever that may be. I cannot believe that he would rather sit on the bench and pick up money at somewhere like Stoke than say playing week in week out at Wolves/Leeds/Brighton etc.

Such as shame as I used to LOVE Owen, his goal against Argentina sends shivers down my spine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here