Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Michael Howards next policy strategy

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
a few days ago I made a post on here being worried as a Labour-ish supporter about the election,however if this latest piece of information I've heard is true, I wouldnt be worried much longer

Howard and the Tories next strategy is to attack abortions, a la George W.Bush in USA. I totally disagree with this, and Im sure there will be a public backlash if he goes ahead on this vein. Afterall, I thought Mrs Thatcher wanted to be rid of the "Nanny State", and let us make the choices for ourselves.

also..another rumour. Prescott is finished after this election,and its rumoured to be Blunkett as next deputy P.M, so if we havent got a decision by May, and Labour win, you're gonna have to change those chants(advice passed on by a civil servant, they are all cracking up with laughter at the thought of him being moved up to the House of Lords...Lord Prescott anyone?heh)

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Why would Prezza bother standing as the Labour candidate in Hull East if he'd been told he'd be kicked upstairs straight after the election, causing what could be an embarrassing by-election for a newly elected government in an area where the Lib Dems control the council?

Prezza's staying.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
nah...it may not be straight away...and Im not sure...but he may be moved sideways

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
bigc said:
a few days ago I made a post on here being worried as a Labour-ish supporter about the election,however if this latest piece of information I've heard is true, I wouldnt be worried much longer

Howard and the Tories next strategy is to attack abortions, a la George W.Bush in USA. I totally disagree with this, and Im sure there will be a public backlash if he goes ahead on this vein. Afterall, I thought Mrs Thatcher wanted to be rid of the "Nanny State", and let us make the choices for ourselves.

also..another rumour. Prescott is finished after this election,and its rumoured to be Blunkett as next deputy P.M, so if we havent got a decision by May, and Labour win, you're gonna have to change those chants(advice passed on by a civil servant, they are all cracking up with laughter at the thought of him being moved up to the House of Lords...Lord Prescott anyone?heh)

Source???

Prescott loves his job. He doesn't want to do anything else, has no ambition to be PM and is well liked by voters. Anyway, unless he loses his seat he is going to be an MP for the next 4 years so he cant be an lord.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
I forget his name but I can find out, and he works in the ODPM.

but...it could all be just a yes minister thing

i think the lords bit was tongue in cheek,but blunkett could be next deputy, and make prezza leader of the house or something banal like that

Re: Re: Michael Howards next policy strategy

Hatterlovesbrighton said:
Anyway, unless he loses his seat he is going to be an MP for the next 4 years so he cant be an lord.

Erm...he can resign, you know.

Having said that, I don't think he will.

Blunkett as Deputy PM really worries. me. It is bad enough that he has been in cabinet - having a proto-fascist like Blunkett as deputy is the last thing the country needs.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
bigc said:
nah...it may not be straight away...and Im not sure...but he may be moved sideways
Moved sideways to... where?

He's the Deputy Prime Minister. He has one person above him and everyone else below him. When the Prime Minister is away, he takes Prime Minister' Questions in the Commons. He can't be moved 'sideways'.

As for Prescott's position, it works like this; in the Labour Party, the leader cannot unilaterally sack the deputy leader. Both are ELECTED. They have a college system of voting made up of three key blocks.

1. Parliamentary Labour Party members
2. 'Grass roots' Labour Party members
3. Trade Union members who have paid the party levy

In this context, Tony Blair cannot 'sack' John Prescott and 'appoint' David Blunkett. Their party's rules just do not allow it.

Last edited:

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
The Large One said:
Moved sideways to... where?

He's the Deputy Prime Minister. He has one person above him and everyone else below him. When the Prime Minister is away, he takes Prime Minister' Questions in the Commons. He can't be moved 'sideways'.

As for Prescott's position, it works like this; in the Labour Party, the leader cannot unilaterally sack the deputy leader. Both are ELECTED. They have a college system of voting made up of three key blocks.

1. Parliamentary Labour Party members
2. 'Grass roots' Labour Party members
3. Trade Union members who have paid the party levy

In this context, Tony Blair cannot 'sack' John Prescott and 'appoint' David Blunkett. Their party's rules just do not allow it.

Ahh but they could change the name of the department and make someone else the head of it. But its not going to happen. 2jags is here to stay.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Hatterlovesbrighton said:
Ahh but they could change the name of the department and make someone else the head of it.

Assuming he gets re-elected as an MP, the only thing that would affect if it is Prescott who makes the decision on Falmer is whether the Planning portfolio is moved from the ODPM to another government department.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here