Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MFI,Woolworths who is next ?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
With these two well known 'names' going under are there more to follow ? With people cutting back as the crunch bites harder what stores do you reckon could face an uncertain future ? No doubt many 'one man band' shops will go,however i would question the future of WH Smiths to me the sell alot of stuff you don't need when cash is in short supply. :shrug:

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
It's difficult to predict. Who would have thought a year ago that Woolies would go bust?

If I was going to name the next high street brand to go under, i'd say BHS.

rospants

off to ronan in the park!
Jul 11, 2005
brighton
my partner said whsmiths as well, they sell all stuff you can get in a supermarket so why both to go elsewhere, also i think Zavvi??

rauper

Jan 9, 2007
Hove
Zavvi has definitely been rumoured to be in trouble - partly because they owe £100m to EUK, which is part of Woolworths... and that debt is likely to be called in.

WH Smiths looks vulnerable-but it has done for years and like mfi and Woolworths it'll be nothing to do with the 'credit crunch' if it is the next victim.

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
Stead and Simpson shoe shops have a 70% off sale that can't be promising!

I reckon Comet, BHS, DSG will withdraw from the High Street and go entirely online, and I concur with BHS. It was only last year or so that Woolies did a massive refurb so that doesn't mean that BHS will survive just cos they are refurbing

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Didn't Polaroid go under yesterday because of a fraud involving their parent firm?

And did anyone else hear about the chairman of Anglo-Irish bank. Classic Father Ted stuff. He "borrowed" £80 million and put it into an account controlled by him and at the end of the year would move it so that it didn't show up on the Balance Sheet as a director's loan. He's been doing it for 8 years. Absolutely gobsmackingly brazenly wrong!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Sussex Stationers have cut right back on the range of books they sell. They only ever seem to have reduced price top ten books and dull old historical potboilers on the shelves, plus dreary calendars with kittens and rural scenes. They do an excellent line in artist-type paper and rolls of card in a wide array of colours, but can't believe that's any kind of secure business model at the moment.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Woolies didn't suprise me at all - there is only so long you can get away with selling cheap shit at knockdown prices for tiny markup, once people have less money - you're stuffed.

Not suprised at MFI either...

Whats happening is that there are simply far too many shops, in good times everyone has more cash, people are spending more, and in their folly, buying on credit, in bad times they don't spend money, so the excess shops close. Its survival of the fittest - those who didn't plan for rainy days will be the first to go.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
With these two well known 'names' going under are there more to follow ? With people cutting back as the crunch bites harder what stores do you reckon could face an uncertain future ? No doubt many 'one man band' shops will go,however i would question the future of WH Smiths to me the sell alot of stuff you don't need when cash is in short supply. :shrug:

I was led to believe Woolies went bust as it has a huge borrowing facility and the banks called it in. It wasnt necessarily the fact sales were down. A number of profitable smaller businesses have collapsed due to similar reasons i.e. cash flow. I listened to Radio 5 about a profitable plumbing company in south London who folded because the bank stopped their credit.

If the banks started up their small business credit lines again things might be a bit better.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Now that all the Poles are buggering off to sunnier economies, its noticeable that the recently-opened Polish shops are starting to go belly-up. Big one in London road has just closed, and the one by Preston Circus has replaced most of its stock of Polish beers with the usual four-for-a-fiver Stellas and those cheapo super-strength gut-rot lagers so beloved of winos everywhere. It's a changed demographic to be sure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here