Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mermaid Cafe, Lancing, RIP

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
The place looks a right dump now, I dont remember it looking that bad when I was there many years ago.

It is! I went there to pick my little brother-in-law up a while ago and the place is falling apart.

The new building work should help it though as most of the huts will totally dissapear

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
Those huts were fantastic. Where else would you be able to smoke during break times?

Open the fire escape, lookout on the front door. Quick bolt out the back when any teacher was spotted.

Hadn't given this any thought before, but is the punishment any more severe for smoking at school now, as it's now 'illegal' to smoke in public places?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
CafeShell188.jpg

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
When Iworked with my father we sold it to some Chineese about 4 yrs ago and I think they have been battling for some years to obtain planning.

The previous owners were the Guess family, friend of my Dad. From memory they sold it because the son was attacked and badly beaten up in a robbery/fight there.

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
That's one hell of a building. I wonder what they'll do to get around the problems with the spring tides being about 2 ft higher than ground level...

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
Those huts were fantastic. Where else would you be able to smoke during break times?

Open the fire escape, lookout on the front door. Quick bolt out the back when any teacher was spotted.

Hadn't given this any thought before, but is the punishment any more severe for smoking at school now, as it's now 'illegal' to smoke in public places?

20 years on things were still the same, but now the huts have been knocked down!

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
It is! I went there to pick my little brother-in-law up a while ago and the place is falling apart.

The new building work should help it though as most of the huts will totally dissapear
MY SON STARTS THEIR THIS YEAR,MUST ADMIT TO BEING A BIT WORRIED,MIND THEY ARE KEEPING THE EARLY STARTERS IN THE NEW BUILDINGS SO SHOULDNT BE TOO BAD

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton

We actually used to climb under a few of them to smoke and fumble with the girls.

The two easiest were right at the back by the swimming pool.

Is the pool still there anyone?

unnameable

Feb 25, 2004
Oxford/Lancing
Nowadays, Lancing Beach Green is frequented by hoodies with a liking for setting beach huts alight. One good thing that will come out of the Mermaid's demise is that Lancing Beach will become safe to visit after dark.

The toilets on the green are disgusting and should be knocked down and rebuilt.

The other day, I got on a train at Lancing and heard people on board referring to the place that they were looking at with disdain as "scummy Lancing". I would like to hear them say that in the Merry Monk.

bigkev2007

Banned
Jan 30, 2008
nelson close = peasntville if u like shellsuits and people having bbq's on there front lawn nelson close was the place to be

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here