Mercury Music Prize Gambling

Jul 20, 2003
won't go to The Streets as the fella's poo-pooed the show

Franz Ferdinand bore me to tears as do Snow Patrol and Keane
Zutons is a stupid name
Odds are too short for my liking for Amy Winehouse

so I'm going blind (deaf?) on:

Jamelia @ 25-1

dunno who or what a Jamelia is but I've put everything I own on it/ her/ them/ him anyway

Yours,

Pevenseagull
(Glover-lite)

Dez

Jul 5, 2003
Brighton
the smart money is on the Zutons apparently, but it's a total lottery really. Keep your money in your wallet!

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Glasgow band Franz Ferdinand have won this year's Mercury Music Prize for their self-titled debut album.

They fended off competition from acts including The Streets, Joss Stone, Amy Winehouse and The Zutons to take the prestigious award.

The £20,000 award is for the best album of the year by a British or Irish act.

It is voted for by a panel of industry experts, journalists and artists, and is said to reward originality and creativity rather than sales success.

Frontman Alex Kapranos told the audience at the central London ceremony that he and his bandmates were "truly gobsmacked - very chuffed and very honoured".

"This coming in a year when we're surrounded by such fantastic bands," he continued.

"Everyone else deserves it more than we do. They reflect a trend in the UK at the moment for fantastic musicm so we're living in pretty good times at the moment."

Later, he told BBC Four that he thought "anybody but us" would win.

Franz Ferdinand's nomination followed well-received performances at this summer's Glastonbury and Reading festivals.

Going into the ceremony, they were 9/4 favourites to win with bookmaker Ladbrokes.

They performed live at the event, while fellow nominees Amy Winehouse, Belle & Sebastian, Ty and Basement Jaxx were also among the performers at the Grosvenor House Hotel.

Franz Ferdinand were one of a number of bands with Glasgow connections to be nominated for the award.

Previous winners of the Mercury Prize include Primal Scream, PJ Harvey, Roni Size, Gomez and last year's victor, London hip-hop artist Dizzee Rascal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here