Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Memory Lane: 17/01/1976 Brighton & Hove Albion 6 Colchester United 0

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
It's strange that we don't have a 'Memory Lane' feature where someone chooses a game from the past and folks bring their memories of the day.

I chose the above as a match of intrigue. I have a good memory of my childhood and was 6 when it was played. I never went to games, but can remember scores and listening, in this case to Radio Brighton, and seeing the football scores in the Argus.

I've always remembered this scoreline, I'd love to hear about the day and match itself from NSC oldies !

Fred Binney must have scored

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
I remember this game great win but for the life of me can not remember who scored was Binney still with us in 1976 or had Peter Ward started by then?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I am sure I would have been at this game, age 12, but I confess I don't remember it.

Tim Carder & Roger Harris's book Seagulls tells me the scorers were Binney 2 Fell 2 Mellor and Rollings and it was 3-0 at HT. The crowd was 16,302. The following month we beat Palace 2-0 in front of 33,300 and this was enough for us to finish one place above them in the League. Alas one place and 3 points below Millwall in the 3rd promotion spot. Disappointed, Peter Taylor left to re-join Cloughie and a certain Alan Mullery came in over the summer...

Wardy didn't play until Easter and scored 6 goals in his first 8 games.

PG

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
a great season,beat Chester 6-0 too

was that the hereford 4-2 season? one of the all time classics at the Goldstone

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I was there for that one back in the mists of time, I think we also turned over York City 7-2 that season too.

Seagulls over Lewes

Jul 5, 2003
Rodmell
was that the hereford 4-2 season? one of the all time classics at the Goldstone

0612.jpg

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I was there for that one back in the mists of time, I think we also turned over York City 7-2 that season too.

The York game was the following season veggie. I was also there for the trouncing of Colchester - we really murdered teams at the Goldstone back then.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The York game was the following season veggie. I was also there for the trouncing of Colchester - we really murdered teams at the Goldstone back then.

I think we put 6 past Peterborough about that time too.......what finishers we had then....

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Albion were pretty much unbeatable at home and so, strange as it may seem, the 6-0's against Colchester and Chester, have not lived long in the memory as 'stand out' games as poor opposition rolled over & died.

The Hereford 4-2 was a real cracker as they were top of the league and were eventually promoted. Other home crackers were v Shrewsbury (2-2) & Grimsby (4-2?) both midweek games where we had to come from behind. Opposition that made a fight of it were much better than the whipping boys!

So, why didn't we go up? Appaling away form. As poor away as we were invincible at home.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here