Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Memory Lane: 02/11/91 Blackburn Rovers 1 Brighton & Hove Albion 0 (The last visit)

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
Our last trip to Blackburn... November 1991

Very early start on a wet day and I Had to miss the Rugby World Cup Final. There was no cider at the East Lancs Beer Festival (They normally have a few brands), so not a good start. I remember a crap away end on a dull and rotten day, ending in a 1-0 defeat.

Then it got worse. There were massive train delays going back and I became ill (drinking unfamiliar ale I think). A Brighton fan decided to smash a table in the carriage. So I had to go to smokers carriage to avoid trouble (throbbing headache no pills)

The Transport Police boarded the train and we arrived hours late in Euston

BR paid for a Taxi back from Euston to a terrential downpour at home in Brighton.

I got in, threw up and went to bed.

My worst ever away trip.

Does anyone remember it better ? :lolol:

Seagulls over Lewes

Jul 5, 2003
Rodmell
I was there that day even went to the beer festival as well. Taxi from Euston to Brighton after train arrived back at Euston around half midnight. Got home about half two after being up since half four. Think we were still drinking in the taxi on way home after being on the sauce since nine in the morning. These days i would be out for the count by midday now if I drank that much.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Great to have someone doing threads like this again. [MENTION=6366]Freddie Goodwin.[/MENTION] used to do quite a lot a few years ago

Last edited:

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
Great to have someone doing threads like this again. [MENTION=10773]Freddie Goodwin[/MENTION] used to do quite a lot a few years ago

I was intending throwing one in every day, but varying it by including matches that I knew about but never went to. I think that when you mention a match folks minds get focussed and they pull in memories they had long forgotten.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
I was there that day even went to the beer festival as well. Taxi from Euston to Brighton after train arrived back at Euston around half midnight. Got home about half two after being up since half four. Think we were still drinking in the taxi on way home after being on the sauce since nine in the morning. These days i would be out for the count by midday now if I drank that much.

Oh I'm just the same. Folk going to Blackburn this Saturday would probably have little knowledge of 'this day in 1990'. Port Vale away.. lost in a toxic haze..

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Didn't do that one but remember the season before when we went there for the last game of the season. We had a half in every pub between Mill Hill station and the ground with their 'lads' then had a water balloon fight on the way home. I ended up passed out on someone's sofa in Three Bridges. I can remember all that yet, at the moment, the score totally escapes me!

Seagulls over Lewes

Jul 5, 2003
Rodmell
Didn't do that one but remember the season before when we went there for the last game of the season. We had a half in every pub between Mill Hill station and the ground with their 'lads' then had a water balloon fight on the way home. I ended up passed out on someone's sofa in Three Bridges. I can remember all that yet, at the moment, the score totally escapes me!

1 all mate.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
I remember being not sure whether to go. Woke up and it was a case of Rugby WCF or drive to Blackburn. Decided on Blackburn. Recorded the match on the VHS!!! Drove up. Watched Beeny get sent off. Who went in goal for the penalty? Can't remember, anyway, drove home on radio blackout (did the la la ears at half time at blackburn), kept rugby WCF off air. Sat down at about 22:30. Phone rang. Father in law said "shame about the rugby"..... Ahhhhh He was Oyrish ....

Who did go in goal? Anyone help me with my aging memory?

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
I remember being not sure whether to go. Woke up and it was a case of Rugby WCF or drive to Blackburn. Decided on Blackburn. Recorded the match on the VHS!!! Drove up. Watched Beeny get sent off. Who went in goal for the penalty? Can't remember, anyway, drove home on radio blackout (did the la la ears at half time at blackburn), kept rugby WCF off air. Sat down at about 22:30. Phone rang. Father in law said "shame about the rugby"..... Ahhhhh He was Oyrish ....

Who did go in goal? Anyone help me with my aging memory?

Wilkins, I think

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Great to have someone doing threads like this again. [MENTION=6366]Freddie Goodwin.[/MENTION] used to do quite a lot a few years ago

Thanks for the mention, Conboy. Don't start me off on one.....

I remember two trips to Blackburn. In 77/78 and the final run in. It looked like the Albion's promotion push was fading (as was Blackburns) but Albion really went for it and this woke Rovers up and it turned out to be one of the most exciting 1-0 away wins I've seen as both teams went all out attack, end to end stuff. Eric Potts scored the winner and what I really liked about Ewood, in a time when visiting fans were hearded everywhere, we were given the whole stand behind the goal and virtually left to our own devices. There were not vast numbers of us but it was great to be able to jump around, chant etc without stewards/police wading in.

My visit in 1983 is very personal. My Dad passed away in the early hours and I really didn't know what to do with seeing peple/family etc so I decided to go to the match, as planned. Obviously I was pretty subdued and I don't think I shared my news.

The game was another cracker, ending at 2-2. Rovers had a pen and I thought to myself "Well, dad, if you're up there, give me a sign and save this pen". joe Corrigan duly obliged! Later, Rovers were given another dubious pen and the old cynic in me said "Well anyone can save a pen...." and Corrigan saved again! rather lifted my spirits.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here