Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Memories of yesteryear from going to football

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Every single player ate steak and chips, drank milk and listened to Phil Collins......according to their profile in Shoot.

Mexican Seagull

Jan 16, 2013
Mexico City
My uncles flask of hot chocolate at half time
Walking over "the top", (dammed steep) to get to the Goldstone, just walking like so many to the game
Beating Hove Grammer school then ran to catch the second half and it rained all the time
The salvation army band playing and the drummer getting blown round when it was windy
Some of Dave Turners heavy tackles
Getting my monthly supply of the Argus Albion reports from my mum by John Vinicombe once I'd moved away to Copenhagen.
Listening to the Danish commentator when Brighton starting to appear on the weekly Div 1 game on Danish TV, complaining that the Goldstone was the worst/most primitive ground in Division 1

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
Now, can someone correct me if I'm wrong. I got to go on the pitch at the Goldstone a couple of times and I remember the goalposts not being perfectly round, but a bit... convex?

Am I remembering that right? Or was my 8 year old self seeing things?

Yes, my 8 year old self saw them as a long oval. Quite surprised first time I was close to them.

But then, some of our current squad would be too, if they ever did.

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
And the rather portly man with the big black coat and hat carrying a board with the winning raffle ticket numbers around the touchline in the second half.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Every single player ate steak and chips, drank milk and listened to Phil Collins......according to their profile in Shoot.

And if it wasn’t Phil Collins, it would almost certainly be the Eagles.

I remember John Burridge’s favourite food was toast.

Lager also came out as preferred drink quite often.

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
I remember the half-time blanket collections. People lobbing coins into a blanket from all parts of the ground as the blanket was carried around the running track. Followed by a small army of kids picking up the coins that missed the blanket. A very questionable risk assessment!

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Going to the Goldstone with my dad, and taking a stool with us so that I could see over the wall at the front of the East Stand (Chicken Run).
Me and my brother used to sit on the wall right by the corner flag NE Chicken Run from about 1964 till 1968. We had some dodgy moments with the ball flying around us sometimes. We could always see ourselves when BHA were on the telly.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Going with my Dad (RIP) to the Goldstone as a youngster.
Standing on the St John’s Ambulance hut in the north west corner to get a view in a capacity crowd v Reading on Easter bank holiday.
The special atmosphere of evening matches, then sprinting hard with Dad at the end down the Old Shoreham Road to get the football special bus home.
Going with my mates. Surging down the north stand terraces when we scored.
Queuing up for a cup final ticket.
The football special trains to away matches.
Being able to go to almost any match without having to buy a ticket - just pay on the gate.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
My 10-year-old self, imagining that one day we'd be in a fantastic new stadium in the top division, with a squad of internationals costing millions of pounds, and the club owned by a fan chairman who was also a billionaire.

But still complaining that this simply wasn't good enough...

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Chris Mental - in the NE corner before matches getting pissed and wearing a baseball cap painted with the players’ names and a fluffy seagull on his shoulder, late 70s.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Getting my monthly supply of the Argus Albion reports from my mum by John Vinicombe once I'd moved away to Copenhagen.

My dad used to send me a supply of Argus reports too. I hadn't gone anywhere so exotic though, I was at uni in Bradford and in the pre-web days it was the only way to see match reports and Albion gossip

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
Going to the ticket office for big games and the thrill of leaving there with ticket in hand.
Walking through the tunnel from Hove station.
Frequent mini pitch invasions
The really tinny tannoy.
That very distinctive north stand smell on my clothes all the way home from a game.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My 10-year-old self, imagining that one day we'd be in a fantastic new stadium in the top division, with a squad of internationals costing millions of pounds, and the club owned by a fan chairman who was also a billionaire.

But still complaining that this simply wasn't good enough...

It’s time to shake off this small club “lucky to be here” mentality :wink:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Going to the ticket office for big games and the thrill of leaving there with ticket in hand.
Walking through the tunnel from Hove station.
Frequent mini pitch invasions
The really tinny tannoy.
That very distinctive north stand smell on my clothes all the way home from a game.

Ah, yes. Joining the queue for the 1968 Chelsea cup game and getting my ticket. The queue went completely around the Goldstone block.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Yes, my 8 year old self saw them as a long oval. Quite surprised first time I was close to them.

But then, some of our current squad would be too, if they ever did.

I seem to remember a thing being made about them in the Argus, stating they will reduce rebounds and more goals will be scored

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here