Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Memories of 1980s Brighton wanted

Spunk Bubble

Feb 21, 2007
Does anyone remember Soft Centre (Computer shop). It was right in the depths of Churchill Square where it always stank of piss.

rusty redeyes

Feb 26, 2007
Portslade, The Blue Anchor
Not B'ton related, though there are a couple of mentions, a book by Phil Thornton published in 2003 called "CASUALS" is a good read about football, fighting and fashion from the late 70's through to the 90's. Tells the story about how Wade Smith started out in Liverpool.

Just flicking through it for reminders and here goes;
Benetton rugby shirt
Desert boots, Clark Wallabies, Adidas Kagools, Berghaus and Sprayway jackets, Mullets, the back perm, CP Mille Miglia, M&S lambswool crewnecks

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Never mind the West Street Uncle Sams, the mother of ALL Uncle Sams was the one with the spiral staircase by The Clock Tower.

Oh, and random other memory, all the kids in Brighton used to lie about it being their birthday at the Dolphinarium - cos then you got to go in that wee rowing boat and get whisked around the criminally small dolphin pool by a real live dolphin. Oh, and the snack bar downstairs had HUGE glass windows onto the murky pool so you could watch the dolphins while your kids ate their Cheesy Quavers and slurped their coke.

One True BHA

Sep 2, 2008
Not B'ton related, though there are a couple of mentions, a book by Phil Thornton published in 2003 called "CASUALS" is a good read about football, fighting and fashion from the late 70's through to the 90's. Tells the story about how Wade Smith started out in Liverpool.

Just flicking through it for reminders and here goes;
Benetton rugby shirt
Desert boots, Clark Wallabies, Adidas Kagools, Berghaus and Sprayway jackets, Mullets, the back perm, CP Mille Miglia, M&S lambswool crewnecks

got that book recently. very good read

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Never mind the West Street Uncle Sams, the mother of ALL Uncle Sams was the one with the spiral staircase by The Clock Tower.

Oh, and random other memory, all the kids in Brighton used to lie about it being their birthday at the Dolphinarium - cos then you got to go in that wee rowing boat and get whisked around the criminally small dolphin pool by a real live dolphin. Oh, and the snack bar downstairs had HUGE glass windows onto the murky pool so you could watch the dolphins while your kids ate their Cheesy Quavers and slurped their coke.

That was the west street one? Right up the top by Hornes.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Ah, yeah, you're quite right, same one :thumbsup:

:unclesam:

playing football at happy valley in woodingdean, waterhall or anywhere else on a sunday morning. bevendean barcelona beating everyone else out of sight with grim predictability like a sussex mini minor league premiership arab or russian oligarch owned giant.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
00663_small.jpg
00776_small.jpg
00773_small.jpg
00679_small.jpg

I was looking for photos of the great storm. I shall never forget walking around Hove Park the following day and seeing the descimation of the area. Brighton, as a whole, looked entirely different.

Last edited:

Wisdens in Duke St, Olympus at the clock tower, Hornes for blazers

How can I forget those sports shops man, every Saturday afternoon used to drag my mum in there begging her to buy me gear. Going slightly into the 90's now but can remember her buying me my first ever strip, the old Spurs (I know, I know...) Holsten kit so I could pretend to be Gary Lineker in the playground.

Nowadays, sigh, well I'm more like Gary Glitter in the Playground.

rusty redeyes

Feb 26, 2007
Head holdalls
Persil vouchers, did England in Paris Feb'84 for £30 return inc ticket for the match. Mayhem, with 2 of our group banged up overnight. Had to stand all night with their hands help up in the air against a wall and if they dropped or moved the old bill twatted them!

Kickers, Tacchini trackie bottoms

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Head holdalls
Persil vouchers, did England in Paris Feb'84 for £30 return inc ticket for the match. Mayhem, with 2 of our group banged up overnight. Had to stand all night with their hands help up in the air against a wall and if they dropped or moved the old bill twatted them!

Kickers, Tacchini trackie bottoms

Addidas/Nike cagouls. They were the business (and back now it seems). Lacoste, Lyle and Scott, Pringle and Le Shark too.

rusty redeyes

Feb 26, 2007
I worked in Hornes at the end of the eighties. There was a big scandal at Hornes/Olympus. Everyone was nicking gear and flogging it. Loads of us got the Spanish archer :(

Someone I once knew, allegedly, worked in Olympus and was probably on the same scam as you, possibly!!!! As was someone else from my not so distant past who worked in Dolcis next to M&S. He always said it was a crap job, but great for the up skirt viewing:p

Also believe that there was a clue in the small sport shop in Western Rd, possibly Olympus as well, who did quite well out the Ellesse Ski/Bubble jackets.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
playing football at happy valley in woodingdean, waterhall or anywhere else on a sunday morning. bevendean barcelona beating everyone else out of sight with grim predictability like a sussex mini minor league premiership arab or russian oligarch owned giant.

I can see some misty eyed polishing of long forgotten medals happening later..
:thumbsup:

:goal:

Beating Bevendean Badgers was always nice, and remember playing against Saltdean Tigers on that sloping pitch..

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Coasters with the boys on a Friday and Saturday night followed by a large seafood pizza in Chattanoogas. I tried to do a runner one night from Chats but got CONFUSED and ran the wrong way and ended up in the kitchen where one of the chefs TRIED to attack me with a meat cleaver and SEPARATE my head from the rest of my BODY :angry::angry::angry:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
BBC3 just showed clips from the top of the pops that featured both The Stone Roses and Happy Mondays. That clip will be TWENTY years old next year :eek:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Another place I worked (just about) in the eighties was the marina. People went MAD for the marina in the eighties and early nineties. The Katerina and the Master Mariner were the two pubs with the hightest turnover for their respective breweriees in the south east. We used to open the does in the Mariner on a Sunday at 12:00 and be four deep at the bar until it closed at 2:30. God knows why... the marina was and is f***ing shit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here