Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Memo to Sven Goran Ericsson

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Oi Sven

If you are going to insist on picking David Beckham, make sure you put him wide on the right and leave Gerrard and Lampard to sort out the middle. If you are so in control of the dressing room, you will not let him dictate where he wants to play.

End of memo.

Beckham was superb on Wednesday - both goals came from his crosses and in addition to the goals, he put in 28 crosses in the course of the game.

:clap2:

Last edited:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Hiney said:
Oi Sven

If you are going to insist on picking David Beckham, make sure you put him wide on the right and leave Gerrard and Lampard to sort out the middle. If you are so in control of the dressing room, you will not let him dictate where he wants to play.

End of memo.

Beckham was superb on Wednesday - both goals came from his crosses and in addition to the goals, he put in 28 crosses in the course of the game.

:clap2:

Ammended.

Drop Fat Frank and get a holding midfielder in so Gerrard can play his natural game, rather than covering for Lampard.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Christ, are England playing next week? I might have to rearrange my sock drawer or paint the bird table instead...

:(

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sadly these sensible options would require a head coach who actually has a clue. Until we get such a person, I fear Svens usual "I-must-play-all-my-faves" policy will prevail, regardless of team shape, pattern of play, form or fitness.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
SVEN OUT

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Easy 10 said:
Sadly these sensible options would require a head coach who actually has a clue. Until we get such a person, I fear Svens usual "I-must-play-all-my-faves" policy will prevail, regardless of team shape, pattern of play, form or fitness.

Of course.

Although it looks like it is going to be a sensible selection as the feeling seems to be that Beckham is going out to the right and 2 forwards will play.

But do not cloud your view, as like with Harding you have made your mind up with Sven.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Re: Re: Re: Re: Memo to Sven Goran Ericsson

Uncle Buck said:
Carrick would be the obvious one.

I dont agree - i think Lampard is a great player. My starting XI would be

Robinson

Ashley Cole
Ferdinand
Campbell
Young

Joe Cole
Gerrard
Lampard
Beckham

Rooney
Owen

Beat Austria on Saturday - other results go our way - and we are through as best 2nd place team. ( i think Holland need to beat the Czech republic).

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Memo to Sven Goran Ericsson

Mr Blobby said:
I dont agree - i think Lampard is a great player. My starting XI would be

Robinson

Ashley Cole
Ferdinand
Campbell
Young

Joe Cole
Gerrard
Lampard
Beckham

Rooney
Owen

Beat Austria on Saturday - other results go our way - and we are through as best 2nd place team. ( i think Holland need to beat the Czech republic).

I do not doubt Lampard has ability, it is the fact that him and Gerrard are similar and together it does not always work. Would just like a bit of balance in there.

However good point that if we beat Austria we could well qualify. Still the anti-Sven brigade will just call for his head on the back of the fact that we finished second rather than won the group.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Uncle Buck said:
Of course.

Although it looks like it is going to be a sensible selection as the feeling seems to be that Beckham is going out to the right and 2 forwards will play.

But do not cloud your view, as like with Harding you have made your mind up with Sven.
So the genius has sussed that playing 2 up front against mediocre opposition at home, and playing Beckham on the right, might actually give us a better chance of winning. Woo hoo.

Forgive me if I don't break out the champers just yet though. We'll still have Lampard and Gerrard in the centre (which everyone else in the country seems to recognise just doesn't really work), and we'll still have someone out of position on the left, probably Cole again. And sure, it'll probably be enough to turn over Austria, and we can all then start saying what a good job he's doing and how amazing his record is, etc etc.

Might have been an idea for Defoe to have more of a runout lately, being as Pugsleys gone and got himself suspended. Could have done that while Owen was missing. Hang on though - that would have required some forward planning, something else thats not really Svens forte. Ahh well.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
UB, I hope for your sake England win because your defence of Sven in light of recent events is looking shaky to say the least...

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
I have just discovered my sister in law is having a house warming next Saturday afternoon and I have been give a three line whip by her who must be obeyed to attend. Looks like I will be supervising kids on trampolines and not watching England then.

Oh well..families

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Id give shaun wright phillips a go on the left.
Beckham on the right with Lampard and Gerrard central.

Get ready for him to pick Crouch......

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Easy 10 said:
So the genius has sussed that playing 2 up front against mediocre opposition at home, and playing Beckham on the right, might actually give us a better chance of winning. Woo hoo.

Forgive me if I don't break out the champers just yet though. We'll still have Lampard and Gerrard in the centre (which everyone else in the country seems to recognise just doesn't really work), and we'll still have someone out of position on the left, probably Cole again. And sure, it'll probably be enough to turn over Austria, and we can all then start saying what a good job he's doing and how amazing his record is, etc etc.

Might have been an idea for Defoe to have more of a runout lately, being as Pugsleys gone and got himself suspended. Could have done that while Owen was missing. Hang on though - that would have required some forward planning, something else thats not rally Svens forte. Ahh well.

Ah a player out of position on the left and you blame Sven, that kind of blows that argument out of the water, as sadly as a nation we have not produced a decent left footed midfielder since the days of Waddle and Barnes. Downing looks a half decent prospect, but alas he is injured and there is nobody else to come in, so Cole will probably have to play there. But it must be Sven's fault that the nation has a lack of left footers, bad Swede.

The Lampard and Gerrard thing, well I agree it is an issue.

Regarding Defoe, when he has played for England he has shown very little to suggest he deserves a starting berth. Might be proved wrong, but we shall see.

Still you just keep the hatred boiling away, keeps my days interesting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here