Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mel Hopkins

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was at the hospice visiting my mum and some chaps where talking to a patient about his football career and playing for Spurs. Later it emerged that the man is probably Mel Hopkins. The last signing in of visitors before me was a a B Hopkins. From the eaves dropping it would appear that Mel Hopkins is in a hospice with terminal cancer.

I would like to pay tribute to one of the best full backs I ever saw play for both Spurs and Brighton. He was great player and a credit to both sides. If it is not him and he is well please accept my apologies, but it doesnt seem likely that I am mistaken.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I was at the hospice visiting my mum and some chaps where talking to a patient about his football career and playing for Spurs. Later it emerged that the man is probably Mel Hopkins. The last signing in of visitors before me was a a B Hopkins. From the eaves dropping it would appear that Mel Hopkins is in a hospice with terminal cancer.

I would like to pay tribute to one of the best full backs I ever saw play for both Spurs and Brighton. He was great player and a credit to both sides. If it is not him and he is well please accept my apologies, but it doesnt seem likely that I am mistaken.

I heard this morning Mel was in a hospice, sad sad news.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Used to coach us for indoor 5 aside in Horsham.Great bloke,very sad news.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Remember seeing him at the Goldstone.....classy performer,always had a calm confident way about him!
Sad news.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
mel_hopkins240.jpg

Sorry for my ignorance, but didn't Mel speak at the Albion presentation at the Ropetackle recently?

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach

and he asked you to broadcast this on a message board?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Yeah, not sure how comfortable I'd feel knowing someone had spread this private news on a public board.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
Maybe if word gets back to him that he is still being remembered fondly by Albion fans it may put a smile on his face.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Sad news

Unknowingly sat next to him a few years ago at Withdean, when he disappeared to half time hospitality my mate told me who he was. I stopped slagging off Kerry during the 2nd half. What a wimp I was!! Thoroughly pleasant guy as well but i never saw him play.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Very sad news - he taught me how to play football at Shoreham boys. :(

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I last saw him at an Evening with Jimmy Greaves at the Worthing Assembly Hall (they knew each other from their Spurs days).

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Very sad news - he taught me how to play football at Shoreham boys. :(
Me too - we probably know each other!

Quite a few years back we went to an away game at Torquay and standing on the terrace on his own was Mel. It turned out he and his wife were on holiday in Devon and were about to head back home when they saw Albion fans in town. He just went along to watch as a fan. It must have broken his heart to see how crap we were as we were stuffed 3-0.

I've also seen him a few times at Withdean in the south stand.

kevinsmith

Jan 25, 2004
Portslade
I see Mel every 3 weeks and am pleased to report that he is winning his battle and is gaining strength all of the time.

Things look a lot better for Mel

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I see Mel every 3 weeks and am pleased to report that he is winning his battle and is gaining strength all of the time.

:thumbsup:

I could be wrong but I'm sure he worked in Horsham for a while, at the local sports centre - must have been in the 80s.

Great news that he is winning his fight.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

Am so pleased you posted this.

Hospices are wonderful places and achieve great things...........one of them being........... helping people to live.

Good luck and best wishes to Mel too. A great player for the Albion, and whenever I saw him walking around Shoreham , I never saw him without a smile on his face.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here