Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mcshane

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill is keen to sign full-back Paul McShane from Championship side West Brom. (Daily Mirror)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Kinky Gerbils said:
Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill is keen to sign full-back Paul McShane from Championship side West Brom. (Daily Mirror)

Well if they can't even get his position right, I'll not take the story very seriously.

How do these people get jobs? Lazy twats.

There always seem to be quite a few inaccurricies in these stories, and I'm never sure whether it's the newspaper or the BBC journalist that gets their wires crossed.

Another example is the top story on that BBC gossip page.

Jose Mourinho could be set for another bust-up with Chelsea with PSV's Brazilian defender Alex on his way to Stamford Bridge in the summer. (Daily Mirror)

But Alex's registration is apparently already held by Chelsea, he is their player but on loan to PSV (he's been in the press recently talking about his chances of being in the Chelsea squad next year), so the chances of Jose getting pissed just because he has another defender available (that is already paid for) is unlikely. Is this shoddy journalism from the Mirror (which would hardly surprise me), or the BBC journo getting confused?

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
goldstone said:
Because of his height he'll never make it in the Premier as a CB.

Me and munkfish said that when he played for us. I think its a combination of strength and height which means he's more suited to RB.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
goldstone said:
Because of his height he'll never make it in the Premier as a CB.

In his particular case you could be right, but its no bar really if you're good enough. Not every Premiership CB is 12 feet tall.

McShane 6'0"
Toure 6'0"
Ferdinand [A] 6'0"
Terry 6'1"
Carragher 6'1"
Neill 6'1"

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
hans kraay fan club said:
In his particular case you could be right, but its no bar really if you're good enough. Not every Premiership CB is 12 feet tall.

McShane 6'0"
Toure 6'0"
Ferdinand [A] 6'0"
Terry 6'1"
Carragher 6'1"
Neill 6'1"

Surely McShane isn't 6'0"! He's quite a small build as well which adds to the problem. Lets be honest he got mullered by any big centre forward when he was here.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Les Biehn said:
Surely McShane isn't 6'0"! He's quite a small build as well which adds to the problem. Lets be honest he got mullered by any big centre forward when he was here.

He is according to wikipedia! [But he might have put that himself, so as not to get bullied by the big lads:D ]

In all seriousness, 6'0" isn't tall anymore. You used to hear of 'big six-footers', but I'm exactly that height, and wherever I go these days most men seem taller than me.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Les Biehn said:
And when he does then he can go back to being a CB.

From what I saw there last season he is good enough to play in the middle of the defence now. He is good in the air and reads the game well, so the perceived lack of height and strength are not a huge issue. Just the English game has this ancient view that centre backs should be tall and wide.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Uncle Buck said:
From what I saw there last season he is good enough to play in the middle of the defence now. He is good in the air and reads the game well, so the perceived lack of height and strength are not a huge issue. Just the English game has this ancient view that centre backs should be tall and wide.

Indeed.

The best centre-back in the world, is 5'9"

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Ok, if its not an issue then why did he get roasted against people like Adebola?

Canavarro is the best because his reading of the game is unbelieveable. Not sure McShane's reading of the game is up there with his.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here