Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McNulty to Barnsley

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Seems strange to me, as I would have thought he's exactly teh sort of player we are looking for as cover for Painter.

Good enough to have some Championship experience, but not so good he'll be throwing his toys out of the pram at being Painters understudy. That's what I think we're looking for, and that would appear to be what McNulty is.

Oh well, in Gus I trust.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Good enough to have some Championship experience, but not so good he'll be throwing his toys out of the pram at being Painters understudy. That's what I think we're looking for, and that would appear to be what McNulty is.

didn't he tell poyet that he would rather go out on loan than be back up to painter at the start of last season? sure i read that somewhere

good deal for all really - he needs to play regular football and we get a fee for a player who hasnt really had a run of games in two years and free up some money on the wage budget

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
How is he worth anything? He's, regrettably, permanently crocked isn't he? Can't believe people think we'll get money for him. How many games has he played since that awful injury?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
How is he worth anything? He's, regrettably, permanently crocked isn't he? Can't believe people think we'll get money for him. How many games has he played since that awful injury?

i think we will get SOMETHING for him, purely because if we were going to let him go on a free we could have just sent him out on loan this season and waited for his contract to run out with the added bonus that he could require cover for painter if it were needed

if i were a barnsely fan though id be very dubious as to why my team were paying for somebody who, as you rightly say, is permanently crocked

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Barnsley said they would only pay a nominal fee because of Jimmy Mac's injury record. A nominal fee to a Yorkshire club is probably £10k.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
didn't he tell poyet that he would rather go out on loan than be back up to painter at the start of last season? sure i read that somewhere

That's not something I've heard before, but it would certainly explain why he's not being kept as Painters back-up. I would be rather surprised if that was his attitude.

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
That's not something I've heard before, but it would certainly explain why he's not being kept as Painters back-up. I would be rather surprised if that was his attitude.

It was quite well publicised at the time (i.e. It was in The Argus!!)

If he stays fit he could be a player but he's nowhere near Painter and seems to get injured more than Woodgate.

Richie Morris must be gutted, where are all his Albion exclusives going to come from now?

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

Why? A lot of professional football players want to play football. He had the chance to go to a higher level to play rather than sit on the bench here. I'd have been exactly the same.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Why? A lot of professional football players want to play football. He had the chance to go to a higher level to play rather than sit on the bench here. I'd have been exactly the same.

Fair enough, but for me - and just MAYBE I'm biased - but I think we are a club clearly going places, and Gus has the look of a manager that makes you a better player. Certainly refreshing to see a young player with a desire to go and play 1st team football though, rather than sit on the bench getting paid.

Good luck to him, I hope he does well, I've always liked the fella.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
I think the selling of McNulty, means we're close to bringing in a defender very soon. I hope Jim does well up there, never really got a chance under Gus after all the injury problems he has had. Still remember that tragic accident at Withers a couple of seasons ago, when he lost his kidney. Never been the same since then.

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
2 year deal expected to be announced today from the Argus. Real shame as he's a top bloke and a quality player. He must be gutted about how badly his careers been hampered by such bad injury luck.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I suspect we will get £50K or so for him and hopefully with an appearances clause plus a sell-on although the speed the deal has been done at doesn't fill me with optimism. It seems that getting rid of players on the cheap is never complicated while buying them at top dollar always is!?

McNulty fell out with Gus as soon as he asked for a loan when he was number two to Painter instead of fighting for a place. Although he professed to be still fully committed to the Albion Gus was not impressed and as we have seen before he doesn't forgive easily.

I wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Nosworthy coming in now - not him necessarily but he has been mentioned by name before as a possible target - someone with lots of experience and able to cover anywhere along the back line. Ironic because if Jimmy Mac had still been "on-board" he would probably have been a shoe-in for slotting-in alongside Gordon Greer for the start of the season. At Stockport he was always rated a better centre back than full back.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Error on official site (I think) - says signed by Slade but swear it was an Adams signing when we were throwing money around (same times as Craig Davies) to ensure we didn't go down

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Error on official site (I think) - says signed by Slade but swear it was an Adams signing when we were throwing money around (same times as Craig Davies) to ensure we didn't go down

You're right, Adams signed him.

Jim's another play who seems to love us all...

Jim McNulty has signed for Championship side Barnsley on a two-year deal, for an undisclosed fee.

The 26-year-old left-back signed for Albion under Russell Slade in 2009 but his playing time has been restricted due to an horrific kidney injury, followed by an ongoing ankle problem, and the arrival of Marcos Painter in 2010.

McNulty spent last season on loan in the Championship with Scunthorpe United before undergoing ankle surgery at the latter end of the campaign.

Fit again, McNulty is now looking to resurrect his career under the guidance of Keith Hill at the South Yorkshire club.

He told seagulls.co.uk, "I've absolutely loved my time at Brighton and I love the club, but it's been a frustrating couple of years for me on the pitch so this is a real chance for me to get by career back on track at a brilliant club.

"It's a great move for me to an established Championship club and in a way I feel lucky that a club at this level is still interested in me after the two years I've had - I'm very grateful to Barnsley for this opportunity.

"I feel great again following the ankle operation and for the first time in a while I don't feel any pain in my ankle. I feel like a new player so I'm really looking forward to getting my head down during pre-season and fighting for a place in the side."

McNulty insists his affection for Brighton will stay with him despite moving back up to the north of England, and he is now looking forward to playing against his former team-mates during the Championship season.

"I will stay in touch with the Albion players because I have made some great mates, and I can't wait to play against them later in the season. It's also a place I'd look to move back to when my playing days finish because I like the place that much.

"I always said I want to play in the new stadium so hopefully I'll be involved when Barnsley visit this season - in fact the two games between the sides will be the only two times I will want Brighton to lose.

"There is no doubt in my mind that Brighton will be pushing for promotion though.

"I wish the club the best of luck, but also the fans because they seemed to really take to me, even though I didn't play as many games as I would have liked throughout my two years."

McNulty played 16 times and scored one goal for the club - his final appearance coming against Aston Villa in the FA Cup fourth round tie at Villa Park in January 2010.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Many more players out than in. But no cause for alarm yet. Still lots of time to go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here