Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGrath to Sussex?...

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Coach Mark Robinson says Sussex would be interested in signing Anthony McGrath to plug the gap left by the departure of Chris Adams.

Adams joined Yorkshire on a four-year contract last week and immediately made it clear he wanted to keep McGrath at Headingley.

The 31-year-old, who has played four Tests and 14 ODIs, wants to leave Yorkshire after 11 years with the county even though he still has two years left on his contract.

Signing a proven English player is one of three options Robinson has as he looks to replace Adams.

Another is recruiting a Kolpak player or he could be big and brave' and ask the current players to fill the gap.

McGrath would certainly fit the bill as a replacement for Adams.

He has a career average of 36.96 and last season scored 1,293 Championship runs including four hundreds.

He is also a handy bowler, particularly in one-day cricket.

Robinson said: "In an ideal world we would sign a quality English batter with a proven record.

"Our problem is that we planned the squad for 2007 with Chris Adams in it and it is quite late trying to change it. Most of the players who are out of contract have got themselves fixed up.

"But we are monitoring McGrath's situation. He is a player we would be interested in although we are aware that he is under contract."

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I am erring on the side of recruiting another player as we have a small squad as it is. But I think Nash could prove to be a decent substitute for Adams.

McGrath, however, would be a very good signing to shore up our one day efforts.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Trigger said:
Robinson said: "In an ideal world we would sign a quality English batter with a proven record.

"Our problem is that we planned the squad for 2007 with Chris Adams in it and it is quite late trying to change it. Most of the players who are out of contract have got themselves fixed up.

"But we are monitoring McGrath's situation. He is a player we would be interested in although we are aware that he is under contract."

So that's code for: "Oi Adams! You screwed up our team massively by pissing off up north: at least let us have one of your half decent players to make up for it!"

I'm not entirely sure we shoudl get him. He'd probably be quite good, but a lot of the ageing county pros we pick up never seem to be that bothered. (Martin Thursfield anyone?)

Rather take the risk with a youngster whose veins are PUMPING light blue dark blue and gold, than an expensive old pro, even if he's TRIED and TESTED.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Bah - cricket schwicket

What this thread title really reminded me of was my favourite ever front cover of When Saturday Comes.

wsc89big.jpg

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Re: Re: McGrath to Sussex?...

The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:

I'm not entirely sure we shoudl get him. He'd probably be quite good, but a lot of the ageing county pros we pick up never seem to be that bothered. (Martin Thursfield anyone?)

Hmm...depends how you define ageing but Monty's done OK, Tony Cottey did a job for us and in the dim and distant past, Eddie Hemmings, Roger Prideaux, Arnold Long and Geoff Arnold all did well for us - even though their best years were behind them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here