Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee's signings

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
PS: Coppell signed has-beens. MM tried to sign players with potential, inevitably discards from other clubs. Until we have got some money to prise away good players in the lower League clubs it is always going to be also rans.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
lincs seagull said:
Err did i say that it was the refs fault the second goal i dont think so i said the refs poor decision changed the game.

With out the penalty albion would have finished the game the better

Where the f*** do you see it is the ref fault that staunton scored

Well if it had stayed 1-1 would you lot be BITCHING as much about the ref as some are now?

lincs seagull

Feb 25, 2004
boston
KinkyGoebels said:
Well if it had stayed 1-1 would you lot be BITCHING as much about the ref as some are now?

Fucks sake of course i would and so would others the bloke has cost us dear no points one point we where robbed by a complete twat.

and then shot our selfs in the foot in the last ten but that goal the ref gave them gave them more belief to go on and win than if it was nil nil at that stage

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
perseus said:
PS: Coppell signed has-beens. MM tried to sign players with potential, inevitably discards from other clubs. Until we have got some money to prise away good players in the lower League clubs it is always going to be also rans.

Has beens, do explain.

Rodger and Blackwell were coming to the end of their careers, but we got a lot of games out of them in the first season and nobody could legislate for their injuries in the second. Kitson was signed by Hinshlewood and not Coppell. Beasant, well he was past his best, but did a job for us and we were running out of options in the keeper department. Come to think of it, just about all of Coppells loan signings also contributed something.

I really think you should step into reality and stop posting your make belief crap.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Uncle Buck said:
Has beens, do explain.

Rodger and Blackwell were coming to the end of their careers, but we got a lot of games out of them in the first season and nobody could legislate for their injuries in the second. Kitson was signed by Hinshlewood and not Coppell. Beasant, well he was past his best, but did a job for us and we were running out of options in the keeper department. Come to think of it, just about all of Coppells loan signings also contributed something.

I really think you should step into reality and stop posting your make belief crap.

Has beens = has beens = have known better days, for better or worse. Sometimes called "experienced".

Kitson was a never-been. The mosty useless player to wear an Albion shirt (not very often).

LDH

Sep 22, 2004
They were all short term fixes that didn't actually work though. When cop left we had a big wage bill for these 'experienced' players and all of them gone (sidwell, ingermarsson etc) or out of action (roger, blackwell).

At least if McGee was to leave we'd have a load of promising young players. There's still question marks about some of them but I know which I'd prefer..

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
LDH said:
They were all short term fixes that didn't actually work though. When cop left we had a big wage bill for these 'experienced' players and all of them gone (sidwell, ingermarsson etc) or out of action (roger, blackwell).

At least if McGee was to leave we'd have a load of promising young players. There's still question marks about some of them but I know which I'd prefer..

I think you need to check the facts here. Both Rodger and Blackwell took a 40% cut in wages to stay with us (granted nobody else came in for them), but even if they were on say 4.5k a week in the first season, that would mean that we were paying them about £2700 a week last season. Hardly huge money in modern football.

LDH

Sep 22, 2004
That's the point though, we weren't going to get sidwell so he was only ever short term. To be honest I'd take some short term signings (bit late now) if it meant keeping us up but the fact remians virtually all his signings were only ever short term fixes..

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
LDH said:
That's the point though, we weren't going to get sidwell so he was only ever short term. To be honest I'd take some short term signings (bit late now) if it meant keeping us up but the fact remians virtually all his signings were only ever short term fixes..

But that is the case for a club in our position. You are going to bring some youngsters through, maybe have signed the odd gem on a free and generally use either loanee's or ageing pro's in the side alongside them. Even sides like Sunderland have verterans playing for them.

Anyway Knight was hardly a short term signing, Roberts would not have been if his back had held out.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It is good to have a bit of experience in the side, but the youngsters are a better bet.

I expect experience could be important tonight. It could be argued that we lost to experience at Coventry. But that will not stop Coventry getting relegated.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
On balance McGhee has not got as much out from his signings as he would have wished, but I think that is tempered by managing to get more out of other players than the supporters could have hoped.

Butters, Hinsh, Reid, Virgo (all season), Harding and Oatway (at times) have all over-achieved, he also resurrected Currie's career while he was here.

If we go down he will be remembered as a shit manager, if we stay up he will be a legend. We will see...

lincs seagull

Feb 25, 2004
boston
perseus said:
It is good to have a bit of experience in the side, but the youngsters are a better bet.

I expect experience could be important tonight. It could be argued that we lost to experience at Coventry. But that will not stop Coventry getting relegated.

You really are clueless Coventry wont go down and i will wage you a tenner on that they have a great run in to teams around them and they will be safe espically if they beat forest wednesday forest a team who have not won away all this season

It was our experinced players that help our demise on saturday oataway got us to sit back and defend deep this is not a sign that experience is the big thig chippy back will help marshall the mid field more than Charlie

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I don't think McGhee will be remembered as a shit manager if we get relegated. I think most fair-minded people would recognise he's worked miracles with the resources available to him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here