Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee's signings

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I have a lot of respect for Mark McGhee, but was thinking about his signings and not sure his track record is so good:

Molango ... not made it yet. OK, McGhee says "one for the future", but what we need is players for NOW.

Jarrett ... as above

Yelldell ... not a success

Shaaban ... better than Yelldell, but not a success.

Claridge ... waste of space.

Currie ... great!

Reid ... did McGhee sign him? Or was it Coppell? Anyway, a success.

Blayney ... looked good yesterday, but needs to improve his kicking.

Dolan ... not at all sure. Looked too slow.

Have I missed any?

Anyway, based on those above the successes are few and far between!!

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
u missed mccammon

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
But let us not forget that when he's had money to spend he's actually been responsible for signing some rather splendid players.

Robbie Keane anyone?

The problem is that it's very very tough to unearth that untapped treasure (a la Zamora) before somebody else realises he's worth money.

Incidentally, didn't Zamora cost us £100k? Certainly a bargain and worth every penny and more but are we ever likely to see that sort of money being spent on a player again in the near future?

We have a choice of a pool of players that nobody else wants (McCammon) or players that nobody has yet heard of (Jarrett, Molango). He's not got it right every time, but who does?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Bluejuice said:
But let us not forget that when he's had money to spend he's actually been responsible for signing some rather splendid players.

Robbie Keane anyone?

The problem is that it's very very tough to unearth that untapped treasure (a la Zamora) before somebody else realises he's worth money.

Incidentally, didn't Zamora cost us £100k? Certainly a bargain and worth every penny and more but are we ever likely to see that sort of money being spent on a player again in the near future?

We have a choice of a pool of players that nobody else wants (McCammon) or players that nobody has yet heard of (Jarrett, Molango). He's not got it right every time, but who does?

Keane was a yts player

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Bluejuice said:

Robbie Keane anyone?

What are you talking about?

He did not sign Robbie Keane, Keane happened to come through the youth system whilst McGhee was manager of the Yam Yam's.

I have a feeling that it was Graham Taylor's staff that brought Keane to Wolves.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
Oh ok ok, so he didn't sign him, but he did give him his break and recognised his potential.

I bet if Coppell had been there he'd have hidden him in the reserves and not given him a look in

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Bluejuice said:
Oh ok ok, so he didn't sign him, but he did give him his break and recognised his potential.

I bet if Coppell had been there he'd have hidden him in the reserves and not given him a look in

What the same Coppell that was giving games to players likes Hinsh, Harding and McPhee?

Oh sorry, because he got it wrong regarding Virgo we are not meant to like him, me bad fan. off to beat myself with the high and mighty's shitty stick.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Uncle Buck said:
What the same Coppell that was giving games to players likes Hinsh, Harding and McPhee?

Oh sorry, because he got it wrong regarding Virgo we are not meant to like him, me bad fan. off to beat myself with the high and mighty's shitty stick.

Save some stick for me i dont rate mccammon

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
Oh f*** it then, I give up.

We're shit, our manager's shit and we'll be playing in division 2 next season.

Happy now?

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
KinkyGoebels said:
Save some stick for me i dont rate mccammon

who does???

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
Blimey, didnt think u were posting any more richie?

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Richie Morris said:
Coppell was and is a better manager then McGhee.

Thought you said you werent posting anymore? Oh and April fools jokes were meant to be finished by 12pm on the 1st April!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
goldstone said:
I have a lot of respect for Mark McGhee, but was thinking about his signings and not sure his track record is so good:

Molango ... not made it yet. OK, McGhee says "one for the future", but what we need is players for NOW.

Jarrett ... as above

Yelldell ... not a success

Shaaban ... better than Yelldell, but not a success.

Claridge ... waste of space.

Currie ... great!

Reid ... did McGhee sign him? Or was it Coppell? Anyway, a success.

Blayney ... looked good yesterday, but needs to improve his kicking.

Dolan ... not at all sure. Looked too slow.

Have I missed any?

Anyway, based on those above the successes are few and far between!!

You're right, I missed two ....

McCammon ... better than some people on here believe, but not yet proved to be a good signing.

Nicolas ... started well, but not so sure now ... can't even get a starting role.

So still more question marks than positives ....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here