Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee's public bollocking of the team

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
McGhee's public (non) bollocking of the team

... while not changing the outcome, was a very important SYMBOLIC moment, and well-played that man.

He came on the pitch after the game with a look of absolute thunder. The players were applauding the fans, and he got them together in a group. No-one could hear what was being said, but the body language and hand gestures were plain and unambiguous.

He was giving each and every member of the team a severe bollocking for their performance - especially in the second half. He pointed to all the players individually, then pointed over his shoulder at us, as if to say something along the lines of 'you lazy fuckers don't deserve the hearty round of applause that lot are giving you... They've travelled up here in their numbers etc'

The group huddle finished, McGhee stormed off and the players gave the supporters another round of applause - as though he had told them to.

He was fuming on his way back across the pitch, and was only stopped by the fans who had realised what he had done, and started singing 'pints of whiksy, Mark McGhee' to him.

Liike I said, didn't change anything on the pitch, but good to see him showing his passion once again. Top, TOP bloke.

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I don't think he was bollocking the players, but he was clearly fired up. Think he probably pointed out to them that 2,000 had turned up and that they have a chance on Tuesday to pay us back for disappointment today.

However it was very symbolic and clearly he is a passionate man (I am sure LUSH can confirm that).

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
We could ask Race to ask tank about what he said

Incredigull

In Cervesio Felicitas
Nov 28, 2003
Mile Oak
El Presidente said:
y.

However it was very symbolic and clearly he is a passionate man (I am sure LUSH can confirm that). [/B]

Now I know why she's out of breath when I meet her in the Sportsman !!:lolol:

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
will let him read the above and he can answer it when he gets home...............but I would be very surprised if he bollocked them! More along the lines of what El Pres has said I should imagine.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The reason I say it was symbolic was that McGhee deliberately did that in front of us, and I have not seen him do that before. If it was a pep talk, he could have done waited til everyone was in the changing room (yes, I know, he could have given them a bollocking there as well). But he looked pretty animated and well pissed off.

Of course, he could have done it at away games that I have not been to...

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Way off the mark The Large One. Sorry to blow your story out of the water but it wasnt the case at all!!

MM was fuming, but not at the players, but at the crap decsions. He did point at all the players but he was saying that they hadnt deserved to lose the game and to keep it going for Preston on Tuesday, and when he pointed at the fans he said that they had been magnificent and deserved to stay in this league.

So there you have it!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Fair enough. Spot on with the crap decisions bit - that game was BENT. No question.

However, I would disagree with one thing. We were f***ing awful - especially in the second half - and from that point of view 2-1 was not unfair. Coventry wanted it much more than we did.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
On the way home on talk sport they said he might be getting fined for having ago at the ref at the end of the match. That shows passion and that he cares for the club to me.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Thought both sides were poor, Blayney only had one serious save to make, they caught us on the break on a couple of occasions when we were searching for an equaliser.

We missed Chippy today, if he had been in central midfield there would have been less pinball football, and he would have stopped Staunton wandering unchallenged through the wide open spaces for the winner too.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Scandalous that neither Knight or Mcgammon could be arsed to even applaud the fans.

I am fecking annoyed with those two and couldn't give a toss if neither play for us again.

We are a team and they should have been hauled out of the dressing room and be part of it.

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Oh and while we on the subject of Mcgammon Mrs Hut said that Minis Under 7s have more clue than him - what an indictment

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
My take on it was that McGhee was trying to gee the lads up at a moment when they were surely really down... he brought them together and did so in a way which involved us, as well - and I'm certain there were more than 2,000 of us there - closer to 2,500 I would have thought. I felt quite emotional watching it.....but still very gutted to lose to two dodgy reffing decisions - how many more times are we going to lose games through crap refereeing?

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
Oh, and by the way - I completely agree about Knight and (especially) McCammon....their input today was extremely average - compare that to Virgo, who never ever stopped running, scored a cracking goal, had another disallowed, and was truly upset by the result.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I reckon McGammon comes in on Match Days with a note from his Mum saying can he be excused closing down defenders as he is tired - FFS

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Beach Hut said:
Scandalous that neither Knight or Mcgammon could be arsed to even applaud the fans.

I am fecking annoyed with those two and couldn't give a toss if neither play for us again.

We are a team and they should have been hauled out of the dressing room and be part of it.

Oh and while we on the subject of Mcgammon Mrs Hut said that Minis Under 7s have more clue than him - what an indictment

Mrs Hut does not have a clue believe me :angry: :angry: :angry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here