Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee's Post match comments

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Beach Hut said:
Come on everyone it ain't over till the fat lady sings, remain positive.

I am positive as I posted this morning on this same thread but pointing out the realism of the situation and I think MM is making sure everybody else knows by his match comments.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
i likewise belive that we will get Falmer, was just saying that due to the cash and time that as been invested in Falmer if it was a no then we could not afford to go through the process again.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
MM shouldn't have said we have no players tho'... the team is doing brilliantly, IMHO...

Halftime Oranges

Oct 22, 2003
Rottingdean
It's crazy if we get Falmer who knows where we can get to premiership one day :)

If we don't get it league 1 or 2 forever there is no way out:shootself

Last edited:

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
b.w.2. said:
MM shouldn't have said we have no players tho'... the team is doing brilliantly, IMHO...

Depends what context he meant it. If he meant we have no talent then i agree it would be wrong. If he meant we lack depth of squad then he is right.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
... yes, but "NO players" is a tad strong, isn't it?...

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
i believe mm was right in saying we have no players. when we really miss a player who is a defender but playing upfront due to a lack of forwards in the club and, we have players that are near to ending their careers playing at the highest level they have ever played at. added to this we are playing youngsters through necessity. i believe that is what mm is saying. apart from his ability to assemble this group of players in to what has been a good start for us, the squad is so stretched is virtually picks itself.
it is normal for standards to drop when players have no competion for their places but somehow mm seems to be able to keep them all motivated. perhaps its because most of them are out of contract soon and are hoping to be able to stay

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
I would imagine he meant no players with several years experience at playing at our current level

i.e. highlighting what an achievement it is for us to have firstly made it back to this level at the first attempt and secondly to be 15th with about a third of the season gone

Other teams we are above ON MERIT with far more resources such as Leeds, Forest and Wolves is something we should be rather proud of

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
We have no players to bring in if someone is unjured or suspended, as evidenced yesterday with our two 'strikers' who were about 5'6" standing on each others shoulders

Beach Hut said:
Come on everyone it ain't over till the fat lady sings, remain positive.

Of course we should remain positive. Falmer is in the bag (IMHO). Yes, it might be shame if we lose players out of contract to there clubs, but so what, they will be replaced by better ones.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
London Irish said:
Of course we should remain positive. Falmer is in the bag (IMHO). Yes, it might be shame if we lose players out of contract to there clubs, but so what, they will be replaced by better ones.

If we get a yes to Falmer then we can offer the contracts to playes and especially McGhee's.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
London Irish said:

My opinion swings from one day to the next. One day I'll be thinking that there's no way they can turn it down and the next I'll be worried whats going to happen to us when they do. I can't wait for them to put us out of our misery.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
IF we get a YES for Falmer, then I am sure we will have little trouble retaining the services of MM, DC, LK, DH et al... I don't want to think about what will happen if we get a no... fcuking nightmare...

Please say YES JP... you know it makes sense...

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
... oh, and still think MM should have qualified the "no players" quote... he is usually very good with his post-match interviews... but we obviously DO have players... if he meant that the squad has shortcomings (which it does), then he should have said this, IMHO...

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
I too think it will be a yes, but bearing in mind the enquiry does not start until February, it will probably take a couple of weeks plus time taken to send the conclusions to JP we're probably looking at April, then if the Gen Election is in May no planning decisions will be made one month before this.

Which all leaves us lookinh at the summer again before the decision is made, and by that time McGhee & the others will be out of contract

:(

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I think we will go up to the Prem. eventually, I have heard the finance IS in place, but awaits yes or no!!

We are a great club with great fans and a great team coming through!

WHEN we get Falmer we WILL move on and up!! Bolton here we come!!!

:clap:

Hadlee said:
I too think it will be a yes, but bearing in mind the enquiry does not start until February, it will probably take a couple of weeks plus time taken to send the conclusions to JP we're probably looking at April, then if the Gen Election is in May no planning decisions will be made one month before this.

Which all leaves us lookinh at the summer again before the decision is made, and by that time McGhee & the others will be out of contract

:(

You've hit the nail on the head. That's the concern. I don't think we will get the decision until after the end of the season. The machinary of government moves incredibly slowly even with the best will in the world, which I think we have with Labour, as demonstrated during the recent conference.

We will probably face a very delicate period at the end of the season where players/McGhee will be wondering about their future yet the decision might still be a month or two or three off (worst case scenario).

It's pointless asking the club what will happen in these cicumstances, because it is all speculative and they probably don't know themselves. But it's a concern.

My feeling is if any out-of-contract players jump ship, it will be sad but not devastating - a positive Falmer decision would give us the momentum to go out and sign better ones.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here