Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee's Post match comments

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Brighton boss Mark McGee said: "I felt the game was there to be won and I believed we could win it.

"I am trying to take the team forward. I have got no money, no ground and no players.

"What I have is a young squad who are improving all the time.

"The ground we have is a dump. It's a disgrace in this day and age for our supporters so when they have a chance to come to Sunderland, they are not going to miss a good day out."

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Do you think it's getting to him? It must be frustrating, just one or two cheap signings could transform this team.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Of course it's getting to him. He can see the potential of our great club. He knows we have fantastic support and an excellent team spirit, as well as the ability to produce good young players of our own.
But all of this will count for very little if we can't get our stadium, simple as that.
He's as frustrated as the rest of us.

He'd be sitting in one of the best jobs in management if we just had the stadium and the money that it would bring. Patient and passionate fans with a very supportive board mean he should be laughing. I really believe that.

People might think that pinning all our hopes on the stadium is unrealistic as it won't solve all our problems. And granted a stadium does not make a team, but it will make our club and once we are rooted once more the rest will be a doddle by comparison.

If this enquiry is dragged out or delayed any further I worry for everyone involved. How much more can McGhee take? He's doing a damn good job with what he's got but does he really want another relegation on his CV? I believe he can avoid it but it won't be easy and he knows that if we don't secure our own future he'll be facing a tougher task each season and why should he have to?

Before long we are going to have to fight to keep our manager (again) as well as our stadium battle.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Good post, Mr Juice. If we don't get Falmer we'll be in administration within days.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Stay positive everyone we are nearly there

Hove&Albion F.C

May 15, 2004
I am so confident we'll get our ground now. I really cant see how jp can say no. if not, :shootself . godknows how long the club will last.

All the waiting must be so frustrating for mcghee, as it is for the rest of us. he must have looked around the sol yesterday, looked across at the mass of blue and white at one end and thought how much more can i take managing at withdean?!

Its a joke how long this enquiry is taking. :nono:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Bluejuice said:

He'd be sitting in one of the best jobs in management if we just had the stadium and the money that it would bring. Patient and passionate fans with a very supportive board mean he should be laughing. I really believe that.

People might think that pinning all our hopes on the stadium is unrealistic as it won't solve all our problems. And granted a stadium does not make a team, but it will make our club and once we are rooted once more the rest will be a doddle by comparison.

If this enquiry is dragged out or delayed any further I worry for everyone involved. How much more can McGhee take? He's doing a damn good job with what he's got but does he really want another relegation on his CV? I believe he can avoid it but it won't be easy and he knows that if we don't secure our own future he'll be facing a tougher task each season and why should he have to?

Before long we are going to have to fight to keep our manager (again) as well as our stadium battle.

And 14 of our players who are out of contract at the end of the season.

We MUST have a positive decision. I still think we will. We have come so far, we cannot lose to a set of NIMBYS now.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i dont think its getting to him so much, i believe he's using it to fire up the team.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I'm a fan of McGhee and it's absolutely fair enough to criticise ground situation but I think he's gone a bit over the top when he says " he's got no players." I wonder how that went down with the team?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
15th in the league and McGhee is not happy !.

He'll do for me ! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Yorkie said:
And 14 of our players who are out of contract at the end of the season.

We MUST have a positive decision. I still think we will. We have come so far, we cannot lose to a set of NIMBYS now.

The player situation is quite worrying who are the 14 players?
We have the basis of a team with a long shelf life - some must come and go but not 14 !!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
That's the figure that was quoted in the Argus. Off the top of my head - Cullip, Oatway, Butters, Mayo, Harding, Roberts, Kuipers, Watson, Knight & Hart.

Mr Fridge

Oct 13, 2004
What surprises me is that it was not voted the worst ground in the league. An honour won by Gillingham.

I think the surronding area has something to do with that rather than the ground itself.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Yorkie said:
That's the figure that was quoted in the Argus. Off the top of my head - Cullip, Oatway, Butters, Mayo, Harding, Roberts, Kuipers, Watson, Knight & Hart.

...and Curry,Carpenter,Peircy and Jones. That doesn't leave much does it.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
We will still have the others under contract who are

El-Abd
Hinshelwood
Nicolas
Hammond
Jarrett
McPhee
Molango
Virgo
Robinson

This is the season when all the 3 year deals Dick Knight gave out after our second successive pomotion run out re:

Kuipers
Watson
Cullip
Mayo
Carpenter
Oatway
Jones
Hart

Two year deals that Coppell gave out that expire are:

Roberts
Knight
Harding

One year deals that McGhee gave out that expire are:

Butters
Currie
Reid
Piercy

That makes 15 out of contract next summer to me

Am not sure about when the contracts of Beck and Budd expire

May and Lynch are not yet on professional contracts

Total worst case if all 15 out of contract players leave ( extremely unlikely ) is that we would need to sign a goalkeeper and two fullbacks for a team of:

New Goalie
New Fullback, El-Abd, Hinshelwood, New Fullback
Robinson, Hammond, Nicolas, Jarrett
Virgo, McPhee

Subs: Molango and four new signings

Some of the gaps I would expect to fill with more emerging youth players - May for a start

This season is about keeping the balance right and giving the young players plenty of experience

I would expect it to be inevitable that we will not keep all of the 15 out of contract players; some we will not want to keep; some will want to leave anyway

Reading for instance have told all their squad that they will not offer any new deals until next summer; our position is no different to this

Once we know what division we will be in we will decide who we want to keep for next season and make them the appropriate offers

The first contract to sort out is McGhee's; the rest all follow on from this

If we had not given out all the three year deals to all of the above I very much doubt McGhee would have kept all of them last summer to start with

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Surely MM's comments about the ground are just re-enforcing the message that we need a new ground. By making it after a fairly high profile game, he has gained the media coverage we all crave to highlight our case and keep it in the minds of others.

Without wishing to offend anyone, despite the hard work of all who arranged the protest at Wycombe last season, which got more national press - our protest or MM's comments today?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
It's true that we need to sort out McGhee's contract first but unless we get Falmer then he won't be staying.
We cannot afford any more money, not even to maintain what he is getting now if we do not have a definite yes for Falmer.

If it is no then any further finance will have to go towards another planning application etc etc etc.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
If it is no , the club is finished, there is no more money for another non guaranteed 3 million pounds, 7 year venture to get a ground at sites already proved less suitable than Falmer.

Its Falmer or death.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Gareth Glover said:
If it is no , the club is finished, there is no more money for another non guaranteed 3 million pounds, 7 year venture to get a ground at sites already proved less suitable than Falmer.

Its Falmer or death.

I tend to agree, it as been a long fight and one that is not won yet. If for some reason we do not get Falmer then i fear Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club, will cease to exists within months. There is only so much DK can give the club. That along with the fact that the players we do have will look to improve their own situation and jump before being pushed, will mean the end of us.:(

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Come on everyone it ain't over till the fat lady sings, remain positive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here