Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGHEE'S CLEAROUT - PREDICTIONS

Sandgate Seagull

Jul 11, 2003
Seaford
Jones has already been awarded a contract on the basis he has made x number of appearences this year. Blackwell is getting a deal. Iwelumo will inevitably get one.

Of the rest out of contract (Beck, Piercy, Hammond, Reid, Virgo, Pitcher, Lee, Blackwell and Rodger).

Only Virgo (for general solid play and his height) and piercy shown paticular quality on the ball should be given new deals.

Blackwell and Rodger if kept on should only get pay as you play deals. The others aren't up to it and should make way for promising youth + 1 additional attacking midfielder e.g. Yeates

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Sandgate Seagull said:
Jones has already been awarded a contract on the basis he has made x number of appearences this year. Blackwell is getting a deal. Iwelumo will inevitably get one.

Is Blackwell Definately getting one?

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
i think butters (harsh but his wages and age r against him),lee,pitcher,hammond,beck,rodger will go and piercy,virgs,iwelumo,jonsey and blackwell will b offered new deals

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Richie Morris said:
I would definitely give Virgo at least another year.

After Virgo's performances of late I should hope that he would get a new contract. Anything less would be a complete travesty.

:nono:

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Zebedee said:
After Virgo's performances of late I should hope that he would get a new contract. Anything less would be a complete travesty.

:nono:

spot on

virgo is a good young player. he MUST be given a new deal.

i think releasing hinsh would be a bit hasty too- i for one would be happy with a defence of el-Abd - virgo - hinsh - harding.

gullmachine88

Jul 29, 2003
Anybody got a link to all out-of contract league players in the summer - to see any possible targets we could bring in (depending on division)? ???

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Richie Morris makes a good point. There is no point releasing players unless we can get better.

I don't think Lee will be released. If Kuipers is allowed to leave then I will also leave.

If we go up I expect Blackwell to stay.

Jason Speaks

Feb 4, 2004
Portslade
I don't think we'll get any upfront fee for Kuipers when he goes in the Summer.

We'll strike some sort of performance/achievement related deal akin to Iwelumo's to whichever team (probably Hull) who sign him.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Piercy will stay, I think McGhee realises he is one of our few creative players and will try to get him fit in the summer, on a one-year contract to prove himself. He must give Virgs a new deal, as he offers strong (cheap) cover at the very least.

I fear Rodger may go, which would be a shame, but he is probably on large wages which could be spent elswhere

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
There should in my view be no doubt whatsoever about Virgo getting a new contract. Given his age, he is streets ahead of some of our more established players in terms of raw ability and we must invest in youth if we are to progress in the years ahead. If it came to a choice as to whether to keep Rodger or Virgo, I know who I'd keep. No contest.

:nono: :D

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Lee is a poor player with a bad attitude... good riddance... he has done nothing for us, will do nothing for us, and it is time for him to be shown the door...

Richie Morris said:
Piercy was good when he had a run in the team and was scoring a few goals (crackers at that). Id keep him for another year.

He's got four goals all season. Nowhere near enough for a player of his reputed talent.

Don't know the situation regarding contracts (Perseus's link doesn't work), but these are the players I would get shot of:

Simon Jones
Kerry Mayo
David Lee
Guy Butters
Simon Rodger
Charlie Oatway
Dan Beck
Geoff Pitcher
Paul Watson
John Piercey

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
With due respect to one and all ..... I really think it's unlikely that McGhee will make his decisions until he knows which division we'll be playing in next season.

Falmer Dream

Feb 2, 2004
goldstone said:
With due respect to one and all ..... I really think it's unlikely that McGhee will make his decisions until he knows which division we'll be playing in next season.
That is tantamount to saying it is in some players' interests not to get promoted because they'll be released if we do. McGhee's comments about Iwelumo being good enough for Div 2 but not necessarily Div 1 really set the alarm bells clanging.

Whether we go up this season or not, we should only be awarding contracts to players who are - or will be at some point - good enough for Div 1. That does not include Lee, Piercy and Butters.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I've got Reading telling me that Leon Knight is off in the summer for £600k, and that Cullip is a going as well.

Heard that one before though.

Link here

Dunkstar

Jul 6, 2003
Up a Hill
Personally i think Rodger should be kept for another year.I attribute our loss of form after a cracking start directly to him and 1/2 other players getting injured.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I don't think McGhee will have a massive clearout but Lee and Pitcher are probably likely contenders to go. Surely it depends on whether or not we gain promotion - aren't we more likely to keep players if we are still in the 2nd division?

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
BHA links said:
I've got Reading telling me that Leon Knight is off in the summer for £600k, and that Cullip is a going as well.

Heard that one before though.

Link here

The real worry is Coppout does seem to go entirely with players he has managed before(appart from Kitson fom Cambridge).Im sure he will be in for at least 1 of them.:angry:

Falmer Dream

Feb 2, 2004
Spicy said:
Surely it depends on whether or not we gain promotion - aren't we more likely to keep players if we are still in the 2nd division?
It shouldn't make any difference. We should not be giving new contracts to players who aren't good enough for Div 1 and never will be.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here