Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee today

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
surely doesn't believe this

McGhee: It's far from over yet
by Andy Naylor

Albion manager Mark McGhee told his players today it is too early to give up on the Championship.

He believes victory at his old club Millwall on Saturday will change the complexion of the relegation battle.

Albion are four points behind Millwall and nine adrift of Sheffield Wednesday, who currently occupy the fourth-bottom safety slot and have a much better goal difference.

The Seagulls have only six games to save themselves, including next month's visit by Wednesday but McGhee insisted: "It's no time to chuck the towel in yet.

"If we lose the next two games then by all means but it will look and feel a whole lot different on Saturday night if we have beaten Millwall and we've still got Sheffield Wednesday to play, regardless of their result.

"I just feel that, with the sequence we are on of three draws, our form is in the ascendency.

"We're looking at a mini-run between now and the end of the season to see where it takes us.

"We've now got Jason (Dodd) back. Reidy (Paul Reid) was very unlucky on Saturday not to be on the bench and it looks to us in the reserves as if he is back to something like himself, and the arrival of Gifton (Noel-Williams) changes things for us.

"They are all positives and we've got to keep thinking we have a chance. It's difficult but we're not going to accept it."

French left winger Alex Frutos should be available to face Millwall, despite missing training yesterday with sore ribs.

Albion remained second from bottom following Preston's 1-0 win over Crewe at Deepdale last night.

Victory for Crewe, who beat Coventry 4-1 last Saturday, would have lifted them above Albion but Brett Ormerod's first-half strike secured all three points for Preston.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I thought he'd fallen out with Reidy, cast iron NSC rumour so obviously true. The Aussie must have apologised :jester:

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
BarrelofFun said:
...and there I was thinking Reidy had been booted out of the team and club. Perhaps it was something to do with his form in training afterall :jester:

Are you suggestingf people might get picked on form by McGhee?...how laughable :lolol:

Jul 25, 2003
Saltdean
It's exactly what I would want him to be saying. It may be a remote possibility that we avoid the drop but we should go down fighting and I would want the manager to talk in those terms. It would give a bit of spice to the last few games if we started winning... Well, you can dream.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
It wouldn't bother me if he said something along the lines of;

"Well all baring a miracle now we are down. For the remaining 6 games the players will be playing for their contracts as I intend to have a clear out in the summer"

Should put a few rockets up some arses...

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Dougal said:
surely doesn't believe this

McGhee: It's far from over yet
by Andy Naylor

Albion manager Mark McGhee told his players today it is too early to give up on the Championship.

He believes victory at his old club Millwall on Saturday will change the complexion of the relegation battle.

Albion are four points behind Millwall and nine adrift of Sheffield Wednesday, who currently occupy the fourth-bottom safety slot and have a much better goal difference.

The Seagulls have only six games to save themselves, including next month's visit by Wednesday but McGhee insisted: "It's no time to chuck the towel in yet.

"If we lose the next two games then by all means but it will look and feel a whole lot different on Saturday night if we have beaten Millwall and we've still got Sheffield Wednesday to play, regardless of their result.

"I just feel that, with the sequence we are on of three draws, our form is in the ascendency.

"We're looking at a mini-run between now and the end of the season to see where it takes us.

"We've now got Jason (Dodd) back. Reidy (Paul Reid) was very unlucky on Saturday not to be on the bench and it looks to us in the reserves as if he is back to something like himself, and the arrival of Gifton (Noel-Williams) changes things for us.

"They are all positives and we've got to keep thinking we have a chance. It's difficult but we're not going to accept it."

French left winger Alex Frutos should be available to face Millwall, despite missing training yesterday with sore ribs.

Albion remained second from bottom following Preston's 1-0 win over Crewe at Deepdale last night.

Victory for Crewe, who beat Coventry 4-1 last Saturday, would have lifted them above Albion but Brett Ormerod's first-half strike secured all three points for Preston.

So McGhee should publicly admit that we are relegated and not bother turning up again this season. Obviously he will say we can survive until we are mathematically relegated.

What would be the reaction on here if he came out and said we are down and have given up?

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Re: Re: McGhee today

Finchley Seagull said:
So McGhee should publicly admit that we are relegated and not bother turning up again this season. Obviously he will say we can survive until we are mathematically relegated.

What would be the reaction on here if he came out and said we are down and have given up?

Might just work?

So far he has said it is not over when it blatently is so if he says it IS over then perhaps it isn't?

Reverse psycology!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Dear Argus,
I'm a McGhee. My face is vast and impresive, but welcoming if you're a lady. These days, i just struggle to locate hope in the daytime. Its only the dreams that sleep carries that i find an intrinsic eternal joy i'd like to show you a picture of. Yes, i'm a manager of men who need orders. A bit like a colonel in the army. I want to read a book, lie on a beach and eye life that occurs or never will. Oh to play the guitar to a loved one. To make them fall to piece and thank me for their failing.

I'm Mark McGhee and i want to be this and that. Feel sorry for me, if you must.

All the best for me

Regards

M M

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Meade's_Ball said:
Dear Argus,
I'm a McGhee. My face is vast and impresive, but welcoming if you're a lady. These days, i just struggle to locate hope in the daytime. Its only the dreams that sleep carries that i find an intrinsic eternal joy i'd like to show you a picture of. Yes, i'm a manager of men who need orders. A bit like a colonel in the army. I want to read a book, lie on a beach and eye life that occurs or never will. Oh to play the guitar to a loved one. To make them fall to piece and thank me for their failing.

All the best for me

Regards

M M

Have you ever thought of writing lyrics for a living?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Lammy said:
Have you ever thought of writing lyrics for a living?

Yeah, i'd like to pen something concerning graphic suicide for Meatloaf. Or something about the day he learnt to eat too much and the type of operation he'd relish as his cure.

Nah, it's not a feat i've ever considered. :)

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Meade's_Ball said:
Dear Argus,

All the best for me

Regards

M M
Please, please, please can you send that to the argus.

Fatboy Quim

Jan 27, 2005
To be fair - and very optimisitic - if we beat millwall and Shef Weds lose, the gap is 6 pts; We then still play Wednesday at home, beat them and the gap is 3 pts; after that who knows.

That is not impossible - keep the faith, :albion:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
McGhee's belief in ultimate victory is beginning to remind me of someone....oh yeah, it's Comical Ali.

Expect use of the word 'infidels' in next week's debrief.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Lammy said:
It wouldn't bother me if he said something along the lines of;

"Well all baring a miracle now we are down. For the remaining 6 games the players will be playing for their contracts as I intend to have a clear out in the summer"

Should put a few rockets up some arses...

Yeah cos I'm sure the players havent realised that one already. :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here