Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee sees tough task ahead

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
Brighton boss Mark McGhee says he has a tough task ahead after watching his side crash out of the FA Cup at the hands of Third Division side Lincoln.
The Seagulls were easily beaten 3-1 at Sincil Bank but McGhee is determined to take lessons from the defeat.

"I'm embarrassed and I hope the players are embarrassed too," said McGhee.

"There was a lot for me to see about my team. A lot for me to be disappointed about. I can see I have got a lot of work on."

McGhee told the club's official website: "We've got a lot of hard work to do on the training ground next week - mornings and afternoons."

Brighton's exit from the FA Cup continued a mixed start to McGhee's reign at the Withdean Stadium.

The Scot has notched up a victory in the LDV Vans Trophy, taken a league point and has now been dumped out of the Cup since his appointment on 28 October.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If these twats need extra training to teach them how to beat the likes of Lincoln then they might as well not bother. Just get rid.

Grin

Jul 5, 2003
Lewes
Tom Hark said:
If these twats need extra training to teach them how to beat the likes of Lincoln then they might as well not bother. Just get rid.

Bit harsh. Lincol cant be that bad. We have been very poor for the last month but things will change, every team goes through bad patches and i think we have to show a little bit more faith in the players that have done so well for us.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think we all see tough times ahead.

We are struggling and injuries aren't helping our cause either.

Loan signings please.

AWimps

Nov 8, 2003
In defence of us Imps, we aren't a bad side. Only 1 defeat in 16 to league leaders Hull away so we weren't going to be a pushover. Yes you are near the top of div 2 but sounds like you are on a run of poor form whereas we are on a high. We have won 6 out of 6 at home, and that gave us confidence, especially with an early goal.

Shouldn't worry too much though, I doubt you can be that bad for too many matches.

UP THE IMPS:lolol:

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
AWimps said:
In defence of us Imps, we aren't a bad side. Only 1 defeat in 16 to league leaders Hull away so we weren't going to be a pushover. Yes you are near the top of div 2 but sounds like you are on a run of poor form whereas we are on a high. We have won 6 out of 6 at home, and that gave us confidence, especially with an early goal.

Shouldn't worry too much though, I doubt you can be that bad for too many matches.

Most of the season we have played like that:p

Lincoln was always goner be a defeat looking at your form:censored:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
AWimps said:

An early goal gifted by a penalty decision.

Yes Lincoln did play well and we played badly.

Last week we picked it up against Peterborough and got an away draw.

McGhee will sort them out.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Grin said:
We have been very poor for the last month but things will change, every team goes through bad patches and i think we have to show a little bit more faith in the players that have done so well for us.

Only a month? We've been dreadful since the start of the season:rolleyes:

McGhee will sort the wasters out from those wanting to play for the Albion. I have confidence in him and won't start getting truly alarmed until January if we're still playing as shit as we are right now.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Bwian said:
Only a month? We've been dreadful since the start of the season:rolleyes:

Rubbish.
Comfortable opening day victory at Oldham, came from behind to beat QPR, Luton and Sheff Weds dismissed easily, pissed all over Rushden, beat Blackpool and Grimsby at a canter. Amongst that there have been some dodgy displays where we've grinded out results as well, but thats the way it goes. This isn't the Brazil side of 1970 that we're watching.

We're a decent D2 side - no more, no less. We've hit a patch of bad form for sure, and we've not been playing well for a month or so. But many of the teams we have beaten this season are going along very nicely, and lesser sides in this division have come a cropper against those teams we've picked up points from.

Typical doom-and-gloom stuff during a run of bad form. All of a sudden the whole season gets written off as "dreadful". I'm not denying we need some new faces to freshen things up a bit, and 2 or 3 players need to buck their ideas up. But I reckon we'll finish top 6 easily. Give McGhee a chance, for christs sake.

letsparty1979

Oct 12, 2003
burgess hill unfortuntely
Personally i think we have been poor for quite a long time, we have been getting totally outplayed and powered and worked in midfield all season and last season as well, it just looks like to me is a bit of a down season, i thought maybe was just a bad spell of play yet due to got 2 good forwards Knight and Mcphee, not many in div 2 as good as them 2, also got 2 potentially good keepers and 2 good centre backs, maybe even more, which is where our strength is, yet we never look like break times open, our midfield is soooo uncreative, we turned that Hunt guy down from brentford at beginning of year and Rougier and both hurt us in brentford, and Hunt i thought was best player on pitch, left footed, yet we decide to keep Jones why, what does he do ? he cant pass, he works hard, he writes a funny piece in the Argus, he cant tackle, he cant shoot, he cant cross, he cant find a man making a run which Knight does brillantly, we are lucky to have Knight, as is goalscorer and without him would seriousally have been a relagation battle, i really believed we would be in top 6 at end of year, yet our midfield was poor last year and this year god playing Pethick, why say more, we need changes, i also think should drop Jones and give Piercey a bit of a go or harding give them 5 games in a row.
Gaz

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
letsparty1979 said:
Personally i think we have been poor for quite a long time, we have been getting totally outplayed and powered and worked in midfield all season and last season as well, it just looks like to me is a bit of a down season, i thought maybe was just a bad spell of play yet due to got 2 good forwards Knight and Mcphee, not many in div 2 as good as them 2, also got 2 potentially good keepers and 2 good centre backs, maybe even more, which is where our strength is, yet we never look like break times open, our midfield is soooo uncreative, we turned that Hunt guy down from brentford at beginning of year and Rougier and both hurt us in brentford, and Hunt i thought was best player on pitch, left footed, yet we decide to keep Jones why, what does he do ? he cant pass, he works hard, he writes a funny piece in the Argus, he cant tackle, he cant shoot, he cant cross, he cant find a man making a run which Knight does brillantly, we are lucky to have Knight, as is goalscorer and without him would seriousally have been a relagation battle, i really believed we would be in top 6 at end of year, yet our midfield was poor last year and this year god playing Pethick, why say more, we need changes, i also think should drop Jones and give Piercey a bit of a go or harding give them 5 games in a row.
Gaz

Areyouenglishletsparty?

f***ing hell man-you're posts are impossible to read-didn't you ever stay awake during grammar lessons?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Well said Bwian

I gave up trying to read that in the second line :rolleyes:

Besides spacing out sentences, use full stops and a few more capital letters and people may be able to make sense of what you're saying and reply, letsparty79.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Me thinks a midfield loan signing is needed just to add fresh impetus . Junior lewis type would be good !!:goal:

Lazy buggers, letsparty is worth a read, it didn't take all that much effort !

If our problems are simply about lack of talent though, that will be a wonderful thing. Buddha forbid that it runs deeper than that, because some training might help if MM is able to do that function well.

I just don't want to think that the players don't want to succeed, or aren't trying .

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
NMH said:
Lazy buggers, letsparty is worth a read, it didn't take all that much effort !

If our problems are simply about lack of talent though, that will be a wonderful thing. Buddha forbid that it runs deeper than that, because some training might help if MM is able to do that function well.

I just don't want to think that the players don't want to succeed, or aren't trying .

Firstly, letsparty's posts: If he/she can't be bothered to make it easy to read-I can't be bothered to read it.

Secondly, I don't believe the players don't want to succeed. They have all hit their comfort zones-unfortunately they've all hit it at the same time.

Salespeople do exactly the same and the cure (from a management viewpoint) is to fire somebody to give all of the complacents a massive jolt...or put one or two under 'the spotlight', making it clear that their every activity will be evaluated over a 2 or 3 month period.

I'm sure there must be a footballing equivalent to wake some of our lot up.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here