Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mcghee Quits Fir Park To Join Hearts

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Hang on a second, we currently have a manager that left us without a backward glance to be no 2 to a slightly bigger club and we love him.

McGhee has taken Motherwell from relegation candidates to being the best team in Scotland outside the two who are so far ahead it's a joke and now he's offered a job where he may get to challenge those top two...and still the antis find a reason to slag him off.

Good manager end of, get over it. How many teams does he have to take to their best positions for years before the blind can see that? (being blind probably doesn't help admittedly). Always in demand throughout his career and I expect he was when he left here, but probably needed some time off to recover from the wound made by the knife in his back

To love MA whilst slagging off MM is laughable, ok his time had come here but 2 good seasons out of three with us is pretty damned impressive as is most of his cv unlike the messiahs

well said :clap: :clap: :clap:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Good luck to the bloke I say.

Got Reading, Millwall and Albion promoted, turned Motherwell from relegation candidates to the best of the rest in Scotland, inevitably someone 'bigger' is going to come calling.

Why shouldn't he give it a go for more money? If a bigger company offers any of you lot four times your salary are you going to say no?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
When has magoo ever cared about loyalty?

When he was here, he kept us up giving us our best league position for about 13 years having refused to sign a contract until the job was complete and could quite easily have walked into another job then at a higher level than us.

He went on record as saying that he thought this club had something special and that he wanted to lead us out at Falmer. he showed more loyalty to this club than many fans and the board showed to him.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though:thumbsup:

Oh and although it couldn't happen I personally would MUCH rather he was our manager than MA now

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
When he was here, he kept us up giving us our best league position for about 13 years having refused to sign a contract until the job was complete and could quite easily have walked into another job then at a higher level than us.

He went on record as saying that he thought this club had something special and that he wanted to lead us out at Falmer. he showed more loyalty to this club than many fans and the board showed to him.

Nope, you're not wrong.

This is why the way he was treated was so shameful. Still the chickens come home to roost now hasn't it?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Maybe he refused to sign a new contract until we were staying up because if we went down, he might not have wanted to stay, or hoped that another club would show an interest in him taking over, or offering him more money before he signed, using the fact he hadn't signed as publicity to show other clubs he could be available.

You don't say to a club employing you that you will leave at the end of the season if you have no prospect of getting work elsewhere, after all, he has to earn money to pay his bills.

Well have turned down Hearts' request to speak to him.

After all of the hullaballoo over the OF snore fest / last day title decider, and Rangers' impressive reaching of the UEFA cup final, nobody really seems to be talking about what McGhee has done at Motherwell. Not just third (and from a regular bottom six side), but 7 points ahead of Aberdeen in fourth. A tremendous achievement. Hearts will do well to get him; he will do bad to move there. There are other jobs to come up. Wait for them, I say.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Maybe he refused to sign a new contract until we were staying up because if we went down, he might not have wanted to stay, or hoped that another club would show an interest in him taking over, or offering him more money before he signed, using the fact he hadn't signed as publicity to show other clubs he could be available.

You don't say to a club employing you that you will leave at the end of the season if you have no prospect of getting work elsewhere, after all, he has to earn money to pay his bills.

Yeah maybe, but I found him to be honourable and loyal in his time here and choose to believe that he genuinely wanted to stay because he had real affection for this club until he was driven out. If you, or anyone else, wants to twist it forever that he was the anti christ that's up to you.

I am delighted that he has found success again so quickly and will watch with interest and some regret that he couldn't stay and do it here, should he go on to even more success with Hearts. It will certainly be as big a challenge as he had at the Albion, if he gets the job.

Oh and although it couldn't happen I personally would MUCH rather he was our manager than MA now

And what are all these better jobs he had the chance to breeze into while he was with us? Fact is we took him on while no one else seemed to want to touch the unloyal tosser with a barge pole. Feel free to keep kissing his arse though.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Fact is we took him on while no one else seemed to want to touch the unloyal tosser with a barge pole. Feel free to keep kissing his arse though.

He came to us only about a week after leaving Millwall but feel free to keep talking shite.

Last edited:

He was so wanted that before Millwall he was on the dole for nearly 2 years. And probably jumped ship from Millwall before he got the bullet, he certainly wasn't high in demand. But you can continue to cover up the facts.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
. But you can continue to cover up the facts.

These are the FACTS

He led

Reading to 2nd in Div 2 (promoted)
Wolves - to the semi final playoffs to the top tier
Wolves - Semi-finals of the FA cup
Millwall - to Div 2 title
Then the Division 1 playoffs
Brighton - promotion from Div 2 via the play offs
Motherwell from relegation fodder to 3rd in the SPL

He left Leicester under a cloud to join Wolves which IS a black mark I'd agree

Overall I'd say those are pretty impressive facts that need no covering up.

Oh that our current manager could match them

Fulham promoted from League 3
Brighton promoted as Champions from league 3, that was fantastic
Leicester promoted to the Premiership and then relegated the following season
Struggled at Coventry, understandably so.

Not quite as impressive imo

Last edited:

He left Leicester under a cloud to join Wolves which IS a black mark I'd agree

You forget to add that he left Reading in the lurch to join Leicester even after agreeing a long term contract.

You can try twisting the facts as much as you like, but the truth will always be there.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
You forget to add that he left Reading in the lurch to join Leicester even after agreeing a long term contract.

You can try twisting the facts as much as you like, but the truth will always be there.

Leaving them in the lurch is not wholly accurate. Whilst he did leave at Christmas time, he had got them promoted and they would have been promoted that season (finishing second) if the Premiership had not reduced its numbers*.

* Four down and two up. That was an absolute crime by the way, except Palace occupied the fourth relegation spot from the Premier League. :clap2:

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Has he actually left Motherwell yet?

Nope, they've refused Hearts permission to speak with him.

As far as I'm aware, all Mark McGhee has said on that matter is it's up to Motherwell to keep him. I don't think he wants to go but knows he can get more money elsewhere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here