Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee question

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
It is clearly because we do not have enough money to attract the quality of player needed to compete at this (Championship) level.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We will never attract good players till we have Falmer

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Beach Hut said:
We will never attract good players till we have Falmer

Not entirely true - but we'll always have lesser chance of attracting them.

Benjamin, Kitson, Noel-Williams, Blackwell, Morgan, Rodger - all proven GOOD players.

It's just a shame there's so few, and most - e.gZamora and Sidwell (before buggering off!) are virtually unknowns

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Ernest said:
Which means we will never attract good players

Always look on the bright side of life

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Uncle Buck said:
Just out of interest, there is a section of our support that says the rather poor season we have just had is not the fault of McGhee and that it was other factors that lead to our demise.

So if this is the case, the promotion and then staying up last year were not down to him either.

If he wants the credit, he must also take the criticism.

What a bizarre point. I think that relegation isn't just McGhee's fault - there are other factors. But then again neither was the promotion last year just down to McGhee. So why the difference between seasons? For me it's simply the standard of football we're playing and the standard of player we needed (and didn't get) to adjust.

Of course McGhee could be unable to manage in this divison or he could overnight have become the bad manager no-one thought he was when we took us up. Take your pick, but your original point is overly-simplistic.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
But previous managers have been able to get players of a certain quality down here, but that seems to have stopped happening in the last couple of years.

That McShane was pretty shit

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Uncle Buck said:
Just out of interest, there is a section of our support that says the rather poor season we have just had is not the fault of McGhee and that it was other factors that lead to our demise.

So if this is the case, the promotion and then staying up last year were not down to him either.

If he wants the credit, he must also take the criticism.

Yes, that's a fair comment actually.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
We would have stayed up if he had used the money and the players he had wisely also bad handling and falling out with our best players doesn't help.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
The ONLY good thing about relegation is that there can be no excuses about MONEY, FACILITIES etc etc yada yada boring.

We have less debt that 90% of the other clubs in L1, we can compete with most of the clubs in L1 because of our excellent financial management, we have a stadium that is marginally better than many of the dumps that we will visit, oh and in case anyone has forgotten, its location is Brighton, one of the BEST places to live in the United Kingdom, sorry and before anyone can mention training facilities, at least we dont have to train in dog shit infested public parks like some of our rivals have to.

I'm sure McGhee will still come up with something tho.....

Monsieur Leclerc

Café Rene. In disguise!
Apr 24, 2006
I am beginning to err on the side, that McGhee is not right for the job. But this season was another season of financial losses, and the inability to replace key players that were loss, due to our financial hardship. McGhee is not free of criticism! We do have limitations in our squad, and in some cases it is a question of making square pegs, fit into round holes.

I think we would have stayed up with a Coppell or a Mark Hughes, but we won't be able to attract managers like that. True, we did in the past (Coppell) but they don't stick around.

Of the candidates that applied before, McGhee had the most successes and most experience. We will not be a midtable team in the Championship, until we get Falmer. There are no two ways of looking at it. Particularly as our relegation contender (Sheff Wed) had double our playing budget!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Rougvie said:

I'm sure McGhee will still come up with something tho.....

A side competing at the right end of the table hopefully :D

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Uncle Buck said:
But previous managers have been able to get players of a certain quality down here, but that seems to have stopped happening in the last couple of years.

That for me has been his biggest problem. Other managers had a similar budget to work with and less prospect of a stadium in the near future and yet we were able to attract and afford wages for the likes of Kitson. We also relied on load players. We've had the success of McShane but that is it.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Rusco said:
Or good players don't want to play for McGhee

What, like McShane ? Its more a case of good player don't want to play for peanuts in a struggling side who plays its home games in an athletics stadium.

Monsieur Leclerc

Café Rene. In disguise!
Apr 24, 2006
Lammy said:
That for me has been his biggest problem. Other managers had a similar budget to work with and less prospect of a stadium in the near future and yet we were able to attract and afford wages for the likes of Kitson. We also relied on load players. We've had the success of McShane but that is it.

But we have also endured a further 3 seasons of financial losses during McGhee's reign.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here