Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee, No more pink keepers!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
From the Argus

ALBION manager Mark McGhee vowed today that new goalkeeping hero David Yelldell will never be in the pink again.

Yelldell was ridiculed by Leeds fans after referee Mike Thorpe ordered him to swap his yellow shirt for pink for the second half of Saturday's 1-1 draw at Elland Road.

Injured No. 1 Michel Kuipers has worn different coloured jerseys all season but McGhee reckons pink is a shade too far.

"I knew nothing about it until we were in the dressing room," he said. "I think it's ridiculous that of all the colours under the rainbow we choose pink.

"The boy got a lot of stick but he handled it very well. As far as I am concerned the pink shirt won't be coming out again.

"The referee decided his black shirt made him look like one of us (all navy). He changed to yellow and so insisted we changed the goalie's shirt. The only one we had was pink."

McGhee was tickled pink by Yelldell's debut on a month's loan from Blackburn as an 81st-minute header by Guy Butters stretched Albion's unbeaten run in the Championship to seven games and moved them up a place to 17th.

"We were worried we would miss Michel, because he's been in great form but the boy came in and did a great job," McGhee said. "He kicked well, threw well, caught a few, made one great save and a couple of brave saves at people's feet. In the dressing room, when I said well done to him, the boys gave him a round of applause and that says it all."

Yelldell, 23, said: "I'm delighted. I was a little bit nervous because it was my first big game, different to a reserve game for Blackburn. The boys did very well and a point is a good start, especially at Leeds."

Captain Charlie Oatway is suspended for Saturday's home game against Derby, the trip to his old club Cardiff on February 12 and the visit of Sunderland a week later after he was sent-off in the closing stages for kicking out at an opponent.

McGhee believes the reaction of some of the Leeds players contributed to Oatway's red card. "The referee indicated Charlie had stuck a leg out," he said. "Charlie apologised in the dressing room, so I assume he got involved but I think some players could help the situation in terms of getting players sent-off."

Argus

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Having seen their goal again on TV, I'm even happier about the new bloke now.

From our angle, I wasn't sure if it was a bit of a soft goal as he'd been beaten on the near post. But when you see it from the TV camera, the deflection off Virgo's clear.

Thought he was good anyway... so now I make him top notch!

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
Yes pleasantly surprised too. Although he was a little lucky that a lot of headers went straight at him. He was good at quickly bowling the ball out to the wings, something that Michel doesnt do enough.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Because its not ideal to have 10,000 people behind you constantly screaming Faggot at you when you are trying to concentrate on the game.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Just seems a bit like giving in to me. They didn't seem to be calling him a faggot once he'd kept them out for the whole second half and walked off the pitch with a point.

Northern MONKEYS.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Jealousy. I have seen plenty of pink shirts worn in Yorkshire. :p

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Sebastian Frey used to wear a pink top when he played for Parma... (Is he still there?)

frey.jpg

Last edited:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Parma is not the gay capital though and I for one don't want to give any one any more amo to call us faggots on top the the stuff we already get. Im not homophobic but Im by no means proud to come from the gay capital either.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Quantum said:
Parma is not the gay capital though and I for one don't want to give any one any more amo to call us faggots on top the the stuff we already get. Im not homophobic but Im by no means proud to come from the gay capital either.

I'm not proud to be from the gay capital either, I'm proud to be from a town that accepts the gay community as a very healthy part of our society that brings in a lot of money to the town as well as making our town more colourful than places like Leeds and Swindon. If they want to make homophobic chants at us then let em and let's have a laugh with it instead of resorting to bitching about our keeper wearing pink which, when it boils down to it, is just a f***ing colour.

Seagullible

Super Keeper
Jul 7, 2003
Tea room, The Office, Slough
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
I'm not proud to be from the gay capital either, I'm proud to be from a town that accepts the gay community as a very healthy part of our society that brings in a lot of money to the town as well as making our town more colourful than places like Leeds and Swindon. If they want to make homophobic chants at us then let em and let's have a laugh with it instead of resorting to bitching about our keeper wearing pink which, when it boils down to it, is just a f***ing colour.

Well said that man :kiss:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
ChapmansThe Saviour said:

very PC indeed. No bitching from this side just think the pink kit was just not needed (beleive there is already a thread about the number of keeper tops we have) and therefore can only invite p**take which could of been avoided. Yes I laugh at it etc etc but I'd rather Yelldell be in green and the Elland road fans muted !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here