Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee Must Stay - Argus comment

Les Biehn said:
I have 3 thanks.:wave: Try to get a real day job.

Don't give up your 3 day jobs :wave:

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
blockhseagull said:
I think for once Naylor has it spot on.... McGhee had more than a job and a half on this season to keep us up, and while i admit we when down with a bit of a whimper i don't think all the blame can fall on McGhee's shoulders.

Some of the gambles that MM tried this season didn't work, thats football... last season they did, he also had two very important players sold in Harding and Virgo. Sure Harding wasn't the best player we saw in the stripes last season in fact on occasion he was dire and cost us a couple of games. But i feel we lost more games this season through not having a left back... and also a proper right back...i think we have lost alot of goals from poor defending in wide areas.

The lack of striker aside, player for player we just aren't good enough... i doubt anyone with this squad could have kept us up and it's a credit to all the young lads that we weren't this seasons Rotherham and effectively relegated in Feb. I'm not sure another season in this division would have done our young lads like CKR, Jakey, Gatts etc any good... maybe the drop in standard may help there development.

So although a disappointing season, we have had our bright spots.. the win at smellhurst will live long in the memory as will both games against Leeds.

Lets show the lads that will still have faith in them on sunday and hopefully come back stronger in August

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Absolutely spot on - as I'm glad to see are most of the comments on here and Naylor's article in the paper.
Mr McGhee, you'll do for me

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

D

Deleted member 2719

Icy Gull said:
Most of the Magoo outers are lazy students and/or drug abusers who haven't got up yet, the backlash is gonna come very late this morning :jester:

Mcghee out and don't come back - Nalyor i had no opinion on you untill now - you are a typical Journalist looking for reaction and could not be more wrong in your article IMO.

by the way only Just got up and smacked out of my head.

:p

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
Out of distant interest... difficult to know quite how to phrase this un-misleadingly, but do you think you might have been a little spoiled by just-about escaping relegation last season?

Say, Brighton had been relegated first-time-around last season, would the pressure for McGhee to go been quite as strong as now?

I appreciate there are differences - not least the very fact of another year with which to tinker/consolidate/whichever - but clearly the club is in less of position to do so than other more richly-resourced Championship sides...

Just pondering whether the McGhee-out-now calls are influenced by the knowledge he's now been a fair few years in the job, and simple impatient boredom - overwhelming what might be the alternative options now...

(While adding all the obvious disclaimers necessary - I'm an asker, not a judger...)

Last edited:

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
London Irish said:
Great bit of work Jonny :clap:

Paul Hart is favourite for the job at Millwall I think.

Reckon he'll take a respectable coaching job now, maybe as academy director of someone higher than Millwall.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Icy Gull said:
Most of the Magoo outers are lazy students and/or drug abusers who haven't got up yet, the backlash is gonna come very late this morning :jester:

:clap:

The Naylor article just about wraps things up.

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
Binney_on_acid said:
A brilliant article in The Argus. I didn't dream it!

It's not what it used to be... :jester: :) :)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
SussexSpur said:
It's not what it used to be... :jester: :) :)

I bloo*y HATE the fake-cheery 'Argus Lite' giver-outers at the station in the morning. Especially as I KNOW (overheard one innit) that they hate us would-be punters equally much, if not more so. Roll on the day they get replaced for reasons of cost-cutting by a Metro-style cardboard box. Ha HA.

Last edited:

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
Tom Hark said:
I bloo*y HATE the fake-cheery 'Argus Lite' giver-outers at the station in the morning. Especially as I KNOW (overheard one innit) that they hate us would-be punters equally much, if not more so. Roll on the day they get replaced for reasons of cost-cutting by a Metro-style cardboard box. Ha HA.

Are they still there? Admirable. Especially as the powers-that-be used to have such disgusted scorn for having the appearance of 'dirty old men' out on the streets, devaluing the brand...

You had me agreeing wholeheartedly...

Until the penultimate paragraph, that is... But still.

Sad scenes indeed...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
From the realists list there is only one name that would excite me Graeme Souness because of his financial connections, as I have said before and been slated.

He would never get another job in The Premiership and needs to re-establish himself and prove that he is a reasonable manager so I belive that he has sufficient contacts, with other clubs and managers, to bring in players that would get us promotion next season.

To do this would need money and he is very wealthy himself and has many very wealthy connections and as such may be able to persuade one of those to put in the money to back his judgement on players.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
BensGrandad said:
From the realists list there is only one name that would excite me Graeme Souness because of his financial connections, as I have said before and been slated.

He would never get another job in The Premiership and needs to re-establish himself and prove that he is a reasonable manager so I belive that he has sufficient contacts, with other clubs and managers, to bring in players that would get us promotion next season.

To do this would need money and he is very wealthy himself and has many very wealthy connections and as such may be able to persuade one of those to put in the money to back his judgement on players.

Souness come here ? He's hardly likely to invest in a club like ours and he's never been at this level, either as a player or a manager. Why on earth do you think he'd come here ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
bhaexpress said:
Souness come here ? He's hardly likely to invest in a club like ours and he's never been at this level, either as a player or a manager. Why on earth do you think he'd come here ?

As I have said he is unlikely to be in the running for any jobs in the Premiership, most of the Championship cannot afford him and he needs to re-establish himself if he wants to continue in management and may see us as a club to take on to greater heights either as the manager or owner or both. Reputedly we are 'sleeping giants' so most on here tell me so perhaps he could think the same and with a new ground on the horizon, however distant, so the opportunity to develope us into another Wigan, Watford Wimbledon Reading who have all gone from a lowly league position to the top division may excite him.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
BensGrandad said:
As I have said he is unlikely to be in the running for any jobs in the Premiership, most of the Championship cannot afford him and he needs to re-establish himself if he wants to continue in management and may see us as a club to take on to greater heights either as the manager or owner or both. Reputedly we are 'sleeping giants' so most on here tell me so perhaps he could think the same and with a new ground on the horizon, however distant, so the opportunity to develope us into another Wigan, Watford Wimbledon Reading who have all gone from a lowly league position to the top division may excite him.

When you're not fantasising over Dick Knight and some conspiricy for him to make a secret fortune out of the club you're dreaming the likes of Souness would come here. He can and would sooner retire, he prefers the finer things in life. As it is he's never worked for a potless club and his efforts at Newcastle surely show that its time he became a full time pundit.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Many people will tell you that football gets into your blood and once bitten it is very difficult to leave behind. The next best to playing is managing the next is owning a club he is capable of both.

I will not bite on the DK issue suffice to say that he has been repaid most of the money that he invested.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here