Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee in no rush to buy

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
McGhee in no rush to buy

Brighton boss Mark McGhee is adamant he will not make any rash moves in the transfer market as he looks for players to bolster his squad.
The Seagulls currently have three Premiership players on loan - Zesh Rehman and Ross Flitney from Fulham and Tottenham goalkeeper Mark Yeates.

"Myself and (assistant manager) Bob Booker have been on the internet and looked at every club and every player, as we've done a hundred times," McGhee told the club's website.

"There's no player you could name that we've not considered - we've even made a few calls overseas.

"There are not that many good players available to us at the moment. I'm not talking about cost, I'm talking about players that would improve us - they're just not available."

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
BR, why do you post stuff that's straight from Craptalk/Sporting Life/Sky Sports/Just about everywhere else ?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
NMH said:
I think he's only just realising the potential in the players already in the team. Can we really be thinking about increasing our roster, without selling as well ?

Alternatively, and forgive me for being cynical, it may be that the club either can't or won't fork out for any new players. Does anyone really believe that there are no players available on loan or transfer that would not improve our current squad? Tyson? Cureton? McSheffrey? Iwelumo etc? I for one don't swallow the line the club are peddling but I stopped getting angry earlier in the season when it became fairly clear (post the Yeates signing) that funds were tight and there were unlikely to be any further significant signings. I can't pretend, however, that I'm not very disappointed with the way things are going. The fact that most other Div 2 clubs appear to be dabbling in the transfer market does leave a bitter taste in the mouth.

Can someone cheer me up please?

:( :shootself

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I don't want to appear too pro Dick, but people are moaning that the club with the 9th biggest crowds in Div 2 (below those of the South Coast massive that is Bournemouth no less) is not out there signing players willy-nilly. Memories seem to be short, we were relegated last season, so our TV revenues are significantly lower this year, and we have signed

Roberts
Knight
Yeates
Rehmann

which is nearly half a team. Last year every time we were linked with a player the cry of 'sign him up' was heard regardless of how good he was, resulting in the club paying over the odds wages for Kitson and Butters.

We also have two first choice players in the shape of Blackwell and Rodger on the long term sick list, again tieing up a lot of money in wages, as well as Charlie ( a good squad player) who has been absent for a few months.

Yes the football is poor, but we are still fifth with one hand tied behind our backs. There is no point signing players for the sake of being seen to sign someone.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
El Presidente said:

Yes the football is poor, but we are still fifth

We're TEN points off second place.We've SEVEN teams below us within three points. It would be a wee bit weird if people weren't a bit alarmed about the downward drift. And bullshit statements like the one on the Official Site don't help. Still, it's going to get a lot worse before it gets a lot better, so mustn't grumble aye?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Tom Hark said:
And bullshit statements like the one on the Official Site don't help.

My point exactly. Why can't the club be honest rather than expect us to swallow such rubbish? Do they really expect anyone to believe that the problem is a lack of suitable players rather than a shortage of funds?

Come on McGhee, at least credit the fans with some intelligence.

:rolleyes:

Nobby Lawton

Jan 6, 2004
Since Coppell walked out, (ignoring Bob Bookers short reign), we have taken on Mark Yeates, not lost anyone (apart from injury to Charlie) earned 14 points less than Plymouth, dropped four places in the league , lost more than we've won, and been dumped out of two cups, (one to a lower league team).
This is the same team that was top of the league under Coppell, and who had already played a high proportion of the top clubs in the division at that time.
Under Mickey Adams, Taylor and Coppell, this team won when they should have lost. We seem to be losing games by a single goal when in the past we have won 1-0.
Initially, (according to the manager) we were going to see a more attack minded team, then he saw a problem with the defence, now the defence is doing well but we are not converting goals.
Perhaps the current manager needs to get his thoughts, tactics, team motivation etc. right before he changes the team and wastes any more money.

:drink:

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
Zebedee said:
Alternatively, and forgive me for being cynical, it may be that the club either can't or won't fork out for any new players. Does anyone really believe that there are no players available on loan or transfer that would not improve our current squad? Tyson? Cureton? McSheffrey? Iwelumo etc? I for one don't swallow the line the club are peddling but I stopped getting angry earlier in the season when it became fairly clear (post the Yeates signing) that funds were tight and there were unlikely to be any further significant signings. I can't pretend, however, that I'm not very disappointed with the way things are going. The fact that most other Div 2 clubs appear to be dabbling in the transfer market does leave a bitter taste in the mouth.

Can someone cheer me up please?

:( :shootself

You can be cheered up by the fact we have SIGNED Iwelumo!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
have we signed him?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
dave the gaffer said:
have we signed him?

Yes, he is OUR player now. Fees dependant on suceess ie promotion and stuff. Another shrewd bit of business from messers Knight and Mcghee. This on top of buying another 25+ goal a season player for just 100 grand.

Marvellous scenes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here