Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee in limbo for next season

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
I'm warming to the idea of a Paul Hart/Dean Wilkins set-up - if he wants it, of course; tactically, Wilkins is streets ahead of McGhee, and seems to command the genuine respect of the players. Of course it's a risk to appoint someone without any real experience at this level, but that's where someone like Hart comes in.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Danny Wilson. He nearly kept up MK Dons (still might) and because he's managing a shit near death club, doesn't make him a shit manager. And he's got the blue and white in his blood.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Repugnant Toad said:
I'm warming to the idea of a Paul Hart/Dean Wilkins set-up - if he wants it, of course; tactically, Wilkins is streets ahead of McGhee, and seems to command the genuine respect of the players. Of course it's a risk to appoint someone without any real experience at this level, but that's where someone like Hart comes in.

How do you know Wilkins is tactically streets ahead? I've seen the youth team on quite a few occasions this year and while the development of players technical, tactical and playing ability has been fantastic the team tactically hasn't been amazing. Wilkins and Bragg have both said the point is to develop players not win games so team tactics haven't been at the forefront of the youth teams success.

My point is Wilkins may be tactically astute but there isn't enough proof that he is so we shouldn't assume. I do believe he could improve players ability and tactically as individuals if he took over but these aspects are more a role of the coaches, we don't know how he will deal with adult players and how he would organise them as a team. I'm not saying he couldn't do this, just we don't know.

timbha said:
it's simple - the appointment of a new manager will generate enthusiasm, win back disgruntled fans and increase season ticket sales.

.....for about 4 weeks and then the same fickle bunch will start belly-aching again :shootself

Repugnant Toad said:

Can you think of one sane reason why he would choose us over Millwall?

http://www.nottinghamforest-mad.co.uk/news/loadnews.asp?cid=TMNW&id=279041

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am sure that within hours of news of MM leaving there would be at least 100 applicants for the job.

We have a month before players are seriously interested in signing as they will be away on holiday with their families. A lot of clubs, us included, haven't issued their retained list and who is not being retained or offered new contracts. So realistically with or without MM nothing would happen until June.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Les Biehn said:
How do you know Wilkins is tactically streets ahead?

Only going on what I've seen of the youth team - their organisation from set-pieces and general positional discipline is like nothing we've seen in the first team.

Of course he's a risk; but every managerial appointment is a case of weighing a certain amount of pros and cons - and I reckon a figure like Hart would negate a number of the negatives.

As for the possibility that Millwall are a more attractive proposition; that may be so, but if we're about to adopt some sort of inferiority complex, believing that no-one is going to want to come to us, we're buggered. Make him an offer; it wouldn't be the first time someone has come to us over a seemingly more tempting vacancy.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
London Irish said:
.....for about 4 weeks and then the same fickle bunch will start belly-aching again :shootself

You're not wrong there. Barry Lloyd used to get terrible stick and if you've read Gary Nelson's autobiography you'll know that his relationship with a lot of the players was more than a little strained.

Nowadays a lot of people who used to slag him have begun to realise just what he was up against and are not as critical if at all.

Edward Scissorhands said:
It has to be STUART MURDOCH :clap2: :albion:
murdock2.jpg

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I think that replacing MM with Wilkins would be a terrible idea..... firstly right now we need an experienced manager and as has already been stated we need Wilkins to carry on doing what he is doing.... we need him to keep bringing the youth team through otherwise we will have no-one to sell !!!!

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
What an UTTER VEGTABLE McGhee can be at times, so many people are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and he comes along with a total bollocks comment (which should be between him and DK anyway) like 'I dont know what the budget will be'.

Maybe thats because the books have yet to be balanced you FLID. McGhee knows full well that to be the case, combined with the possibility that we may get a bit of transfer cash in there is no way any football club can have a set in stone budget at the very end of the season.

The excuses have started already, its pathetic.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
bhaexpress said:
You're not wrong there. Barry Lloyd used to get terrible stick and if you've read Gary Nelson's autobiography you'll know that his relationship with a lot of the players was more than a little strained.

Nowadays a lot of people who used to slag him have begun to realise just what he was up against and are not as critical if at all.

But it took a long time for Lloyd to start being viewed in a more favourable light, he went in 1993 and it was really only post Belloti that people were more complementary towards him. Personally I was never a fan of his, but I do accept that doing dual roles was taking its toll, something that McGhee is not having to do.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I'm a huge fan of Dick Knight but if it's true that MM doesn't know what his playing budget is and that means he can't even tell the players if they have a job or not, that is a disgrace. This should have been sorted out by now...we were relagated more than two weeks ago! Typical Albion.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Whatever happens it has to happen quickly. Players are out of contract who either McGhee or the new man needs to decide if he is keeping.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Sneaky George said:
I'm a huge fan of Dick Knight but if it's true that MM doesn't know what his playing budget is and that means he can't even tell the players if they have a job or not, that is a disgrace. This should have been sorted out by now...we were relagated more than two weeks ago! Typical Albion.

It's not a nice situation to be in I can say that much. :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here