Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee hunting for striker

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
ALBION are stepping up their bid to sign an experienced goalscorer to get them back out of League One.

Manager Mark McGhee has already had two meetings with chairman Dick Knight and chief scout Dean White since returning from holiday at the end of last week.

Top of the agenda is the type of 20-goal target man the relegated Seagulls lacked in the Championship last season.

McGhee said: "If we could only sign one player it would be a good enough centre forward. The rest we can make do with.

McGhee would love to have Neil Shipperley, one of his main targets last season, but he is still wanted by promoted Sheffield United as back up in the Premier League.

Other strikers under consideration include former loan signing Gifton Noel-Williams and Norwich's Peter Thorne, although wages could again be a stumbling block for Albion, particularly in trying to land players from a higher level with proven records.

Rumours that the Albion have been in contact with Swansea about re-signing Leon Knight continue to circulate.

Knight has apparently fallen out with Swansea's star striker Lee Trundle when the team was taken on an end of season trip to Cyprus by the club.

An insider claimed that it occurred during a game of Ker-Plunk in the hotel where the team were staying. Knight is alleged to have nudged Trundle, causing him to knock down six balls in one go, and losing the game to Daffyd Jones, the Swansea reserve team leek taster.

"Trundle was livid, and told Leon that he was going to f*** him back off to Brighton" said the source. "The next minute Leon was on his phone to his agent, Captain Black (formerly of the Mysterons), saying that he would rather play for the Albion than a bunch of sheep worriers, and to sound out Mark McGhee"

When quizzed about the possibility of Knight returning, McGhee claimed that he would rather watch his stools float, but did leave the door open by saying that he still thought Leon was a class act, albeit the class was year 3 of a junior school.

McGhee has ruled out renewing his interest in Tom Brighton, the young forward he tried to buy from Clyde last season.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
El Presidente said:
McGhee said: "If we could only sign one player it would be a good enough centre forward. The rest we can make do with.
Inspiring stuff. Looks like we're getting prepared for a solitary summer signing then, and "making do" with the rest of the squad as it stands.

19th here we come...

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Re: Re: McGhee hunting for striker

Easy 10 said:
Inspiring stuff. Looks like we're getting prepared for a solitary summer signing then, and "making do" with the rest of the squad as it stands.

19th here we come...

I would be satisfied with one signing actually as long it is a decent target man, I think we can make do with the rest as this league is so much worse than the championship. We have a good goalkeeper a half decent youthful defence in the midfield im a little concerned but I think Hammond will run this league and with a decent target man and CKR we will have a good upfront.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So starts the run up to a DK pre season article along the lines of " Mark and I worked tirelessly and made enquires about 73 strikers but.....

Last edited:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Icy Gull said:
So starts the run up to a DK pre season article along the lines of " Mark and I worked tirelessly and made enquires about 73 strikers but.....

I would imagine so, im a little concerned allready amd its only June. I can see us signing no one and then we will be looking at struggling next season.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
is this a bounced thread from last year or 2 years ago or something ? there seems to be a familiar gyst to it, like a Jock in charge no one wants to play for.

10 out of 10 for the kerplunk rerference though :lolol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Re: Re: Re: McGhee hunting for striker

DAMANCLAY said:
I would be satisfied with one signing actually as long it is a decent target man, I think we can make do with the rest as this league is so much worse than the championship. We have a good goalkeeper a half decent youthful defence in the midfield im a little concerned but I think Hammond will run this league and with a decent target man and CKR we will have a good upfront.
I wouldn't.
Anyone who thinks League One will be a walk in the park is kidding themselves. Our squad is currently paper-thin, and it looks like we're going to plug the gaps with youngsters. One or two youth-teamers we might eb able to get away with. Three or four, and we're going to struggle.

Lynch, Hinsh, El-Abd and Butters is the basis for a reasonable defence, but we have no cover at centre-half. Midfield worries me, as I don't think we'll be able to afford the luxury of playing both Frutos and Carole in this league, they'll be kicked from pillar to post. Chippys legs have gone, Oatway is coming back from a serious injury so we don't know how up to the task he's going to be, and Hammond flattered to deceive for most of last season. Not seen enough of Loft yet to form a judgement. Up front CKR still has a lot to prove, he doesn't look anything like being a prolific scorer yet. And then we're back to Gatting and Jake as backup, and neither of them have looked first-team material yet.

The old guard such as OGH and Mayo will 'do a job' at this level, but right now, I think we're looking at lower-mid table, possibly worse. We need an experienced central midfielder (I was really hoping we'd go for Jim Magilton before he took the Ipswich job), more cover at centreback and fullback, another goalkeeper, and a couple of strikers.

For McGhee to claim we could sign one experienced striker and "make do" with the rest of the squad is worrying and depressing. I honestly can't remember being as pessimistic going into a new season.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Re: Re: Re: Re: McGhee hunting for striker

Easy 10 said:
For McGhee to claim we could sign one experienced striker and "make do" with the rest of the squad is worrying and depressing. I honestly can't remember being as pessimistic going into a new season.

I think that boils down to finances. Another year of losses. I really think that if we can get one striker then we will have a reasonable team.

Some of the youth teamers looked like great talents, and they will be very useful as back up.

I am feeling optimistic as long as we can sign another forward.

Gatting and Robinson, will I think play an important part next season. They both have talent, it is just about applying it.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Icy Gull said:

Exactly what will happen

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
except if we get off to a good start DK will not bother trying to sign anyone, when we beat Leeds last year in January the hunt for a striker stopped because DK thought we could stay up without spending

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: McGhee hunting for striker

BarrelofFun said:
I think that boils down to finances. Another year of losses. I really think that if we can get one striker then we will have a reasonable team.

Some of the youth teamers looked like great talents, and they will be very useful as back up.

I am feeling optimistic as long as we can sign another forward.

Gatting and Robinson, will I think play an important part next season. They both have talent, it is just about applying it.
Hope you're right squire.
I'd be happy enough if we bumbled along in midtable with at least a chance of making the playoffs. Who knows, we may even get some decent loan signings this time round to boost the squad at just the right time.

But I'm living more in hope than expectation...

D

Deleted member 2719

El Presidente said:

Manager Mark McGhee has already had two meetings with chairman Dick Knight and chief scout Dean White since returning from holiday at the end of last week.

Well it good news he has started work, but if he had not i would be questioning his commitement, considering his job is on the line.

Another cracking bit of motivating McGhee "The rest we can make do with" .

:nono:

A very big gamble putting all the budget with one player - Does this mean he is spending all of the club money just to try and save his CV from saying "your'e fired" on it ( assuming he will be judged on the opening 10 games or so)?

Let's just hope this striker doesn't get an injury.

So if the proven scorer does his job he saves MM job and if he gets injured or we are not good enough MM get's sacked and we are left with no money for the new manager and he will probably be made to look a worse manager than MM.

I'm sure DK and the board will have thought about this but a manager which still has alot to prove should not have the whole budget to play with - Please save some money untill proven he deserves it or otherwise.

binary

Oct 4, 2004
South East Guildford
Ah yes but the DK quote will be on the 30th August as usual!!

I know that more than one striker has been in contact with the Albion but due to MM being on holiday it was not progressed and they have since signed for League 2 clubs!!

We will end up with either Steve Claridge or a kid 'who has a lot of promise'.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: McGhee hunting for striker

Easy 10 said:

But I'm living more in hope than expectation...

A bit like last night then when you entered the Village People fancy dress competition with a PISS POOR construction worker outfit IMO, and then you tried to steal the traffic cop that I had had eyes on all evening.:angry:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
DAMANCLAY said:
I would imagine so, im a little concerned allready amd its only June. I can see us signing no one and then we will be looking at struggling next season.

...we are waiting for 1) everyone to come back from holiday, 2) everyone to be out of contract, 3) The world cup to finish, 4) the moon to fall out of the sky.....then we will sign some has been from Chelmsford City who will be "one for the future"

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Re: Re: Re: Re: McGhee hunting for striker

Easy 10 said:
I wouldn't.
Anyone who thinks League One will be a walk in the park is kidding themselves. Our squad is currently paper-thin, and it looks like we're going to plug the gaps with youngsters. One or two youth-teamers we might eb able to get away with. Three or four, and we're going to struggle.

Lynch, Hinsh, El-Abd and Butters is the basis for a reasonable defence, but we have no cover at centre-half. Midfield worries me, as I don't think we'll be able to afford the luxury of playing both Frutos and Carole in this league, they'll be kicked from pillar to post. Chippys legs have gone, Oatway is coming back from a serious injury so we don't know how up to the task he's going to be, and Hammond flattered to deceive for most of last season. Not seen enough of Loft yet to form a judgement. Up front CKR still has a lot to prove, he doesn't look anything like being a prolific scorer yet. And then we're back to Gatting and Jake as backup, and neither of them have looked first-team material yet.

The old guard such as OGH and Mayo will 'do a job' at this level, but right now, I think we're looking at lower-mid table, possibly worse. We need an experienced central midfielder (I was really hoping we'd go for Jim Magilton before he took the Ipswich job), more cover at centreback and fullback, another goalkeeper, and a couple of strikers.

I see where your coming from easy but should we end up with a 20 goal a season target man then I think CKR will really step up his game, he looked good at the end of last season.

IMO we dont really need another goal keeper I think Henderson/Sullivan/Martin as cover is acceptable and we may even still have Kuipers. The denfence as you say is worringly thin but if we can sign Dodd on pay as you play and maybe a loan signing then I think thats one of the better defences at that level.

The up front with a 20 goal target man and CKR is more than good enough for league 1 but the midfield will be a bit hit and miss, I think we can afford the luxury of either Frutos/Carole but not both at the same time.

For me I think a decent midtable line up next season will consit of.

Henderson

El-Abd - Hinsh - Butts - Lynch

Hart - Hammond - Oatway - Frutos

CKR - (Insert 20 goal striker here)

Subs

Martin/Sullivan
Dodd
Carpenter
Carole
Gatting/Robinson

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports