Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee got it very WRONG tonight...

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
flicking through these threads it seems a lot of people think harty should have started.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
That doesn't mean he should have started.

Or are we all qualified football managers?

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
caz99 said:
flicking through these threads it seems a lot of people think harty should have started.

Well he's endlessly better than Currie was last night...

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Yep. Let's blame Currie. Lets ignore the fact that Reid was shit. People look for a straight swap because one player didn't look great. Why not look for the reasons why that player was poor? :glare:

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
everyone was looking for reasons however last night currie should have been off and harty started. reid was shit also but we are a striker down and harty is good going forward.

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
from what evidence? i don't see why everyone is butt kissing him when he has not done anything spectacular over two games. his long balls are good but thats about it

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I've seen him play before and seen how attacking he is. I've seen the opinions of Wycombe fans. I've seen the opinion of McGhee.

Hart was poor last season - everyone said so - suddenly he's the answer to our problems.

We were poor for a number of reasons last night.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
McGhee was notible by his absence on the Radio last night!! I hope he wasn't bollocking the players too much because there is a finger of blame in this room and it's pointing squarely at McGhee!

How many other teams in this division are likely to field one striker at home to Plymouth?

With the exception of Currie? As Lush pointed out last night, if a player hasn't proved himself at this level by the time he's 29 it's not a fluke!

Other than that the rest of the team did the best with the poor hand McGhee dealt them. Like Easy 10 what was wrong with the simple line up.

Robinson Malango

Jarrett Nicholas Reid Hart

Harding Butters Cullip Virgo

Kuipers

Robinson needs to be given a decent chance at this level. I know he will get clattered and knocked off the ball a lot but how is he going to get used to dealing with that by giving him 20mins?

Time after time Jarrett broke down their defence and found himself either with no one to pass to or Malango surrounded by four defenders!!! After a while to hoof and hope game crept back in, we're better than that! We've now got a midfield. A brand new one! Let's use it lads!

If I see us playing 9 men behind the ball again AT HOME against weaker opposition I'll standing behind the duggout asking for an explaination!

Early days yet and no need to panic but I've not left a game so bewildered for a long time.

What was McGhee thinking with his subs?!?!?!

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
I also heard that McGhee was blaming the fact that it was a new team playing a new formation.

Hello, what do you think pre-season is for!?!??!?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I cannot comment on the performance as I didn't get home from work until the match had almost finished, but I was surprised that we had only 1 up front at home.

We are in a tougher division, for sure, but going in with 4-5-1 suggests to me that you are not confident in your own abilities.

However, I believe that McGhee will work it out and that we'll stay up.

Come on you Seagulls

Scoffers said:
I cannot comment on the performance as I didn't get home from work until the match had almost finished, but I was surprised that we had only 1 up front at home.

We are in a tougher division, for sure, but going in with 4-5-1 suggests to me that you are not confident in your own abilities.

However, I believe that McGhee will work it out and that we'll stay up.

Come on you Seagulls

Not confidence in your own abilities or (back to my earlier post) you have such a class forward in BZ. That he will score againgst any Div 2/3 side and the other 9 players will prove to be the best defence in the League, as in our winning the back to back titles.

LC

Last edited:

Lammy said:
Like Easy 10 what was wrong with the simple line up.

Robinson Malango

Jarrett Nicholas Reid Hart

Harding Butters Cullip Virgo

Kuipers

I think I've explained in at least two, perhaps three, different threads what is the potential pitfalls of using these players in a 4-4-2 system.

As yet, all the tactical genuises on here haven't had the guts or intellectual honesty to confront the problems and address them.

I will repeat again in the hope that all the people on here who think they are better tacticians than McGhee might have the guts to respond.

That midfield 4 is defensively TOO WEAK. Jarrett is an inexperienced defender and Reid is half-fit. Nicolas is barely finding his feet in the team and OGH has had a poor pre-season.

People honesty think that line-up would have beaten the impressive Plymouth midfield last night?

The problem with the front 2 is that neither is GOOD AT HOLDING UP THE BALL. The idea that they would have relieved pressure on our midfield is NAIVE.

Now, has anyone of NSC got the guts to address these obvious points - or are people just going to carry on overreacting to one early-season defeat?

Last edited:

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Desert Orchid said:
McGhee has just admitted on Southern Counties Radio that he got it wrong and takes "responsibility" for the performance because some of the players didn't know what they were doing.
There, i admire that, well done MM, back to 4-4-2 now please unless London Irish can convince you otherwise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here