Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee, forget the 'elusive' striker...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Stinky Kat said:
We cant blame MM if we cannot pay the wages of potential loans, eg the Pericard scenario which was discussed on last nights phone in

But we have the money. If we can put in 100k bids for Clyde strikers, and make enquiries about bods like Dion Dublin then we surely have the funds. I imagine the 100k transfer would have come with a nice salary as well. We have taken Leon Knight off the wage bill. The money is there for loans.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Uncle Buck said:
Yes it was.

I am going with this revolutionary idea of probably our best centre back playing there, rather than at right midfield.

Itll never catch on you know :nono: :nono: :nono:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
Itll never catch on you know :nono: :nono: :nono:

How about ditching the adventurous, but flawed and failing winger thing and sorting the defence out. Hinsh, McShane and Butters look like a combination that will compliment each others games and as the current half arsed crap is not working, it has to be worth a punt.

Still maybe we could play Jake as a lone striker....

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Uncle Buck said:
Also money on McCammon, wages on Chaigenau etc etc.

shipping out Leon, Jones, Harding Watto, without replacements as well, but we do not know how much his hands are tied by the board.

All Ive ever liked about MM was his honesty and now he is talking tripe eg we beat leicester 1.0 for 85 mins etc

Remember he came to fortess withdean in coppell's reign and played a 15 yr old, he failed at wolves with Jack whatshisnames millions - he is an ok manager but we need a good manager to get out of this mess, oh and some money

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Tubthumper said:
But we have the money. If we can put in 100k bids for Clyde strikers, and make enquiries about bods like Dion Dublin then we surely have the funds. I imagine the 100k transfer would have come with a nice salary as well. We have taken Leon Knight off the wage bill. The money is there for loans.

this mate is fact but seems to get consistently ignored or dismissed .

facts are facts

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
If it is a won't, is that because they do not trust him?

Maybe they just can't but a conspiracy theory rallies the easily led troops much better, and in a month or so it will morph into a FACT no doubt.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Tubthumper said:

to quote Blaney, Brighton dont want to spend money, ok could be sour grapes but we have a habit of fixing things when its too late eg Hinchelwood replaced by Coppell after 13 straight defeats. Now mid Feb 5 points adrift we need a goal machine to stand any chance of getting out of this

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Icy Gull said:
Maybe they just can't but a conspiracy theory rallies the easily led troops much better, and in a month or so it will morph into a FACT no doubt.

But then how did they find money to put an undisclosed bid in for a player?

I do not know, it might be that players do not want to play for him. He has had issues with squad members this season and players from other clubs do talk to each other and it might be that they see him as somebody that they do not want to further their career under.

There seem to be issues everywhere at present and a number of these are at the top and the results are suffering, somewhat.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Tubthumper said:

£100k doesn't get you much though and I'd imagine the Clyde player would have earnt more than he had but far less than Leon, which is where some of the latter's earnings may have been put towards. Then again Dublin would have cost us nothing but would have cost far more in wages which is where I'd imagine some of the transfer funds would have ended up.

Without seeing the accounts though all this thread as well as my posting is idle speculation there are no facts here.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Tubthumper said:
..and sort out the bloody defence and midfield.

Instead of bleating about not being able to find a striker why not make us hard to beat and hopefully we can nick the odd win here and there. Or are you going to tell me there a no defenders or midfielders willing and available?

Or even better just leave.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
But then how did they find money to put an undisclosed bid in for a player?

I do not know, it might be that players do not want to play for him. He has had issues with squad members this season and players from other clubs do talk to each other and it might be that they see him as somebody that they do not want to further their career under.

There seem to be issues everywhere at present and a number of these are at the top and the results are suffering, somewhat.

You may be right but I don't , from what I've seen, believe you are. What I do think is that DK is hanging MM out to dry by keeping Schtum. As discussed on another thread it is time for the board to come out and say something. If they no longer have faith in MM they should do something about it. If they still believe, then the guy needs backing by them. I'm less impressed by the silence from DK and co than the struggles MM and the team have on the pitch. I have immense sympathy for the position MM finds himself in.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Icy Gull said:
You may be right but I don't , from what I've seen, believe you are. What I do think is that DK is hanging MM out to dry by keeping Schtum. As discussed on another thread it is time for the board to come out and say something. If they no longer have faith in MM they should do something about it. If they still believe, then the guy needs backing by them. I'm less impressed by the silence from DK and co than the struggles MM and the team have on the pitch. I have immense sympathy for the position MM finds himself in.

But is it a case that they do not want to sack him as they have to pay up the rest of his contract. So make the conditions bad enough that he gets the hump and walks?

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Tubthumper said:

Instead of bleating about not being able to find a striker why not make us hard to beat and hopefully we can nick the odd win here and there. Or are you going to tell me there a no defenders or midfielders willing and available?

Tubthumper - if McGhee were to do what you'd like, who do you suggest would take over that would do a better job?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
But is it a case that they do not want to sack him as they have to pay up the rest of his contract. So make the conditions bad enough that he gets the hump and walks?

If so, my respect for DK and backing of him will plummet, I sincerely hope that this is another conspiracy theory just born of the board's silence.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Icy Gull said:
If so, my respect for DK and backing of him will plummet, I sincerely hope that this is another conspiracy theory just born of the board's silence.

I will be honest that is just me thinking out loud. I suspect the constructive dismissal tribunal would not be worth the hassle and if they do decide enough is enough they will try and work out a compensation package.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Uncle Buck said:
I will be honest that is just me thinking out loud. I suspect the constructive dismissal tribunal would not be worth the hassle and if they do decide enough is enough they will try and work out a compensation package.

Make him director of football or if Hichelwood still has that title think up another on Head of shouting at players or Transport secretary

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
This is quite worrying that Magoo hasn't found a striker yet, the defence need to be sorted out for Saturday. Chippy needs to be dropped against Watford and time to put Doug Loft in or move Reidy into the centre of midfield with Hammond.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Re: Re: McGhee, forget the 'elusive' striker...

Sneaky George said:
Tubthumper - if McGhee were to do what you'd like, who do you suggest would take over that would do a better job?

Without having advertised the job, put feelers out, interviewed people, spoken to others etc I could not possibly know who is available, suitable and affordable.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Maybe MM should try playing players in their best position, i.e. Paul Reid in centre midfield, Hinsh at centre-back, El-Abd at right-back?

I feel really sorry for Paul Reid. He's been asked to play all over the place in a World Cup year and hasn't been given a chance to do what he does best, which is to create.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Tubthumper said:

One defensive mistake and a hart miss cost us the game.

The only reason we conceeded 3 was pushing forward to get an equaliser! Can't really blame the defense for that!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here