Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee appointed Aberdeen manager

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Second season syndrome again. Expect Aberdeen to do well this year and drop like a stone the year after.

7th in SPL is RUBBISH.

10th the season before he joined Motherwll

3rd and a place in Europe first season
7th second season

Yeah really shit wasn't he :wozza:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Motherwell has a population of 67000.

Maybe they should have been storming the SPL.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
to those people who clearly dont like him, get over it pleease.

Well done to MM and good luck!

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
shame people have to knock the guy.
he did well for us in difficult circumstances
glad he is getting the job he has wanted for so long and I'm sure he will do well

Spot on
As a supporter of 40 years standing (and latterly sitting), MM gave me one of my best Albion days out ever at Cardiff. :albion2:
And a top bloke who still has a home locally.
Good luck up there in the Granite City MM

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
He did an amazing job with us, with what was available to him. DK got rid of him too quickly IMO.. I know for a fact he was dissappointed to be sacked , but maybe it was best for him (as it has turned out).
Mark is held in very high regard in the footy world, and by far better judges than us !

:thumbsup: Yes, I agree completely. Considering the lack of resources, he achieved a lot with us. I was really gutted when he was sacked, and am pleased he has got the Dons job. A top bloke.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
McGhee has patiently been waiting for the job for about 9 months, he is universally adored in the city and will be given funds to buy players. The Chairman of Aberdeen is a very wealthy man, with a wealth of over £400m. He has got the club into a situation where they are no longer in debt and resisted bailing the club out till the club were on their feet, with the massive debts that the Old Firm face, and the dreadful squads that they have at their disposal the time is right for a massive investment for both Hearts and Aberdeen to close the gap on the Old Firm.

Its not going to happen overnight, but lots of inteligent old firm fans are all too aware that the bubble is about to burst, not because of the emergence of other sides, but because of the growing impatience of the banks and the inability to service their massive debts.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is a good appointment for Aberdeen and not only do I expect them to finish 3rd next season but the gap between 2nd and 3rd could be cut significantly.

O Lads

Dec 16, 2004
Good luck Mark. Top bloke who did a great job for us with no money and players being sold above his head.

I just wish some of that money was reinvested/T'Bloom had put some money in to keep us in the championship...

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Does he drive a big ugly black BMW X5? If he does then I'm pretty sure that he popped up in my rear view mirror en route to Sheepcote Valley tip on Saturday.

The sheer GLAMOUR of my life simply never ceases to amaze.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
In the year we were relegated from the Championship our wage bill was £3.4million.

The AVERAGE wage bill in the Championship is £10.8million.

The above explains why we were relegated. End of argument.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Too loyal to us though wasn't he? I bet he regrets not walking after the 1st Championship season everytime he gets on a train to Scotland from his home down here. I believe about 90% of Albion fans were gagging for him to sign the contract, fickle bunch.
Agreed. He was a brillliant manager, far too good for a tinpot club like us. It was obvious he'd eventually leave us for a better job; it's just a shame the way it happened.

In retrospect he should have left us after getting us promoted the same way that Peter Taylor did - he could even have used the same excuse. Unlike the cowardly Taylor (incredibly still viewed as a good manager by some of the more moronic Albion fans) McGhee stayed with us and tried to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Unsurprisingly he failed and just when he thought he might have had his loyalty repaid he was fired by a timid and gutless board who listened to the empty and ignorant whining of the most fickle and stupid fans outside of White Hart Lane.

*Pops open the Pringles, chugs beer and settles down in deckchair*

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Bet you feel like a lonely fisherman sitting there waiting for a bite these last 4 hours :lolol:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Bet you feel like a lonely fisherman sitting there waiting for a bite these last 4 hours :lolol:
Obviously everybody agrees with me! I guess all those dullards who wanted McGhee sacked have now realised that their bovine impatience was inexcusable and are now trying to forget it ever happened.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I have supported BHAFC for 37 years and by a Country Mile McGhee's sacking was the worst decision and worst sacking of any manager imo. I do not blame Knight as much , I blame Bloom who clearly did not realise what he had and wanted him sacked at the end of the Champinship season when he did not give any funds to keep us up when a few hundred thousand would have kept us in the division which he could have won in 1 night on the poker tables.

McGhee is basically far too good a manager to even consider BHAFC now. Its our loss but what I found represhensible was the loyalty McGhee should us was thrown back in his face for no good reason.

If McGhee has stayed for the last 3 seasons we would be in the Championship already.

This saga makes me worry about Bloom and his judgement.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I
This saga makes me worry about Bloom and his judgement.

It seems he's first and foremost a fan and whatever you and I feel about the shameful treatment of McGhee, it is undoubtably what most fans wanted and the fans were definitely were instrumental in his sacking. Bloom just had the clout to force through what most fans wanted at the time.

Who was right or wrong is impossible to say but McGhees position was untenable at the end, just a shame that the board couldn't see that sacking him before the season started would have been the best solution.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Agreed. He was a brillliant manager, far too good for a tinpot club like us. It was obvious he'd eventually leave us for a better job; it's just a shame the way it happened.

In retrospect he should have left us after getting us promoted the same way that Peter Taylor did - he could even have used the same excuse. Unlike the cowardly Taylor (incredibly still viewed as a good manager by some of the more moronic Albion fans) McGhee stayed with us and tried to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Unsurprisingly he failed and just when he thought he might have had his loyalty repaid he was fired by a timid and gutless board who listened to the empty and ignorant whining of the most fickle and stupid fans outside of White Hart Lane.

No bites here - I totally agree with this. MM is an excellent manager who was treated shamefully by Brighton and should do really well at Aberdeen.

I take exception to the idea that Brighton fans are anywhere near Tottenham's when it comes to fickleness and stupidity: Tottenham fans are the most deluded in world football - streets ahead even of Newcastle's - we don't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here