Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McFauls blasts Wilkins' "terrible man-management skills"

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Mcfaul My Albion Nightmare (from The Argus)</title>

McFaul: My Albion nightmare
By Andy Naylor
Comment

Shane McFaul has blasted the "terrible man-management skills" of former Albion boss Dean Wilkins.

The young Irish midfielder is glad to be back home in Dublin after a nightmare five months with the Seagulls in which he was tossed aside as if nobody cared.

McFaul, 22 last week, has spoken out about the way he was treated after being released at the end of the season and rejoining University College Dublin.
advertisement

The former Notts County prospect arrived back in England full of hope when Albion snapped him up on a free transfer from UCD for the rest of the season during the January window, despite competition from Leicester.

McFaul, recommended by chief scout Barry Lloyd and signed after an eyecatching trial, wanted to emulate the success of his friend and former Irish schoolboy and youth international team-mate Paul McShane, who was named player of the season by Albion fans two years ago.

Instead McFaul was left bewildered and frustrated.

The Republic of Ireland under-21 international made just one first team appearance, as a substitute in the dying stages at home to Crewe on February 2, and was an unused sub on four other occasions.

He said: "I didn't get the chance I thought I deserved. I thought after doing well in a few reserve games I would get a chance, longer than a minute and a half.

"It got to a stage where I knew no matter how well I did I wasn't going to be playing and I was going to be in the stands, then doing running afterwards.

"I think the manager had terrible man-management skills. That really hacked me off and I know I am not the only player who felt like that. A lot of players were hacked off.

"On a Friday we would be split up and sometimes I had to train with the youth team. When you do get involved with the team you are supposed to feel great and happy. How did that help?

"I was tossed aside as if nobody cared. The manager didn't talk to me. I went to see him once or twice and he told me to keep doing what I was doing and I would get a chance.

He then did an article in the paper saying the same thing but it didn't happen.

"All the lads were great to me, especially people like Doug Loft and Jonny Dixon, but he (Wilkins) didn't talk to any of the players who weren't playing. You have to keep a squad together, you cannot just throw people aside.

"Gary Hart came in and really helped them for a few games at right-back but then got tossed aside. There was no loyalty from the manager."

McFaul's mood was not helped by having to move house twice soon after joining Albion. He said: "I moved at first into the house where George O'Callaghan had been and I was told another player was going to move in with me.

"Steve Thomson was signed and he was brilliant with me. He moved into the house with his family, which was fair enough.

"I then got moved into a house with a relation of the physio (Matt Miller) and a Slovakian girl. My girlfriend was over at the time and I was in one room, with all my clothes in bags.

"The house itself was fine and the people were fine but we had no room for anything. I just wanted my own freedom.

"I then moved into Matt's place. He swapped with me and everything was fine after that but it was as if I had been tossed to one side.

"I know other lads were being put up in a hotel while they looked for a new place but I was put into the cheapest place. From day one I knew I wasn't going to be involved. What was the point in bringing me over?"

The final insult for McFaul was not being told until well after the end of the season that he was being released. I know Paul Reid spoke out," he said. "It was an absolute disgrace the way they handled telling us about who was getting contracts.

"They knew who they were keeping and who they weren't. At least if they had told us before we could get in contact with clubs, get them to come and watch us in the reserves."

McFaul cannot resume his career with UCD until July, due to regulations relating to his move to England, but he is determined not to let his experiences with Albion affect him.

"I don't doubt my ability," he said. "It didn't work out, simple as. I know for a fact that I am going to succeed so I'm not really worried about him (Wilkins).

"I am not going to dwell on it. I am happy to be home and I am looking forward in July to playing for Ireland. I am going to try and get into the under-21 squad again and there is an Irish under-23s squad.

"I know I will get back to England one day and next time when I come over I'll make sure I am not going to be messed around and do get a chance. Hopefully I'll be playing for a manager who has a bit of decency and will tell you what is going on, rather than leave you in the dark.

"I know that Micky Adams is a good manager and I am sure Brighton will do well next season. Dean Wilkins is a very good coach but in my opinion he has no man management skills and I know I am not the only player who thinks that.

"I know there are players still there who think that. Now they have a new manager and I am sure they will be looking forward as well."

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
The problem here Mcfaul was that Wilkins is a very good judge of a player !!!

Might be more to this than meets the eye.

"Dean Wilkins is a very good coach but in my opinion he has no man management skills and I know I am not the only player who thinks that.

"I know there are players still there who think that. Now they have a new manager and I am sure they will be looking forward as well."

Reid sounded unimpressed, so did Hart (inferring his NSC posts!).

Wilkins - joker :)

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Another load of whinging bullshit that Naylor has managed to dig up.

"Gary Hart came in and really helped them for a few games at right-back but then got tossed aside. There was no loyalty from the manager." - That's because Andrew Whing is our right back

"I then got moved into a house with a relation of the physio (Matt Miller) and a Slovakian girl. My girlfriend was over at the time and I was in one room, with all my clothes in bags. The house itself was fine and the people were fine but we had no room for anything. I just wanted my own freedom. I then moved into Matt's place. He swapped with me and everything was fine after that but it was as if I had been tossed to one side." - What a load of pathetic bleating

"I know I will get back to England one day " - Yeah, maybe on a Ryan Air cheap deal for a stag do with your mates

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Grow up McFool and quit with the agenda Mr Naylor.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
For me there is no smoke without fire. Enough players have spoken out, and there have been enough whispers not to really doubt this anymore. Wilkins - quality coach, shit manager.

Dont be silly, you cant keep rolling out released players and asking what they thought of any manager.

Released players have a problem of genuinley beleiving they are as good as any retained players.

In their own minds they beleive the only real problem was the man that made the decision to release them, rather than maybe their own form/ability.

The only way to give such comments any credability is for them to go and succeed at another club of the same status.

Something I think Mcfaul and the majority of this years released players are unlikely to do.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Don't know about the situation with Wilkins, but as far as the accommodation is concerned, is it really beyond the intelligence of a twenty two year old man to get himself down to the nearest letting agent and take out a 6 month lease on a flat?

I fail to see why that's entirely the Albion's responsibility.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Er, he SIGNED him!!

I don't think it matters how good the player is. It's man management skills we're talking about. They apply whether you're Bobby Zamora or David Cameron. Wilkins clearly had none, and that's why Dick Knight made a brave yet undoubtedly correct decision to remove this man before he could do any more damage to the players we have that weren't in his beloved youth team.

No he didnt ......... Barry Lloyd and DK did.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Another load of whinging bullshit that Naylor has managed to dig up.

"Gary Hart came in and really helped them for a few games at right-back but then got tossed aside. There was no loyalty from the manager." - That's because Andrew Whing is our right back

"I then got moved into a house with a relation of the physio (Matt Miller) and a Slovakian girl. My girlfriend was over at the time and I was in one room, with all my clothes in bags. The house itself was fine and the people were fine but we had no room for anything. I just wanted my own freedom. I then moved into Matt's place. He swapped with me and everything was fine after that but it was as if I had been tossed to one side." - What a load of pathetic bleating

"I know I will get back to England one day " - Yeah, maybe on a Ryan Air cheap deal for a stag do with your mates

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Grow up McFool and quit with the agenda Mr Naylor.

For GOD sake.

You cannot POSSIBLY have a go at Naylor when the vast majority of the article is direct quotes from the player!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Might be more to this than meets the eye.

"Dean Wilkins is a very good coach but in my opinion he has no man management skills and I know I am not the only player who thinks that.

Reid sounded unimpressed, so did Hart (inferring his NSC posts!).

Wilkins - joker :)

Yeah your getting the hang of this, aint ya.

Reid then an nonentity of a player make a point of slandering the man DK has released, Dean Wilkins.

I hope that DK isnt involved to try and someway justify his bizaare decision.

Give me a quote from a retained player then I might listen.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
How many players have to say that before you believe there might be a bit of truth in it, rather than taking the easy option of blaming Naylor (which is pathetic) and players?

I'm sitting on the fence here, to be honest, but that's a weak argument: you could easily turn that statement around and say how many players HAVEN'T said that, in order to prove Wilkins ability, surely?

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
Why is is that when Bas George and Dean speak out they are big S**Ts but it is ok for the others to slag the club off - or is that just ok because dean has been sacked as manager - i would not have thought that anyone who is told they are no longer required at the club as a player would want to give any compliments

Last edited:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
How many players have to say that before you believe there might be a bit of truth in it, rather than taking the easy option of blaming Naylor (which is pathetic) and players?

I'd believe it more if we were hearing it from the first team squad (unlikely I know, nut it happened with Mr MgHee and Wilkins has gone now) or players like Savage and Hammond who have moved on. If my boss fired me and Andy Naylor came along offering me an interview I'd give him a right slagging off.

Hearing it from the marginalised players who were the subject of a clearout that this board has been begging for for three seasons doesn't hold much weight with me.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I don't believe for one second that the reasoning behind letting certain players go was wholly down to Wilkins.

.. but quite easy to use him as the scapegoat for their inability to get in the team now he's lost his job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here