Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McCormick: Death crash goalie gets 7yrs 4months

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Should have got 10 times the sentence.

Hell, does that mean if I want to kill 2 people I can get drunk and run them over and possibly be out in 3/4 years? :thud:

No because then you would have wanted to kill them, which is murder, as opposed to when you don't have the intent, in which case it is mitigated to a manslaughter-style charge. Honestly Dan, how did you pass uni?

Personally I think accidents are accidents - he should be severely punished for his actions, but I don't see why he should be punished more than any other person who does the same, not more simply because of the accidental consequences.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
I had a friend, his wife and their baby to be born killed,because the motorist was driving over 80 mph and was looking at himself unravelling the wrapper of a sweet, whilst driving along a motorway.

You're driving a vehicle on the road, the speed, the weight of the vehicle is liable to injure and maim, if not driven carefully and respectfully.

Failure to do that because " I want a sweet", being pissed, drugs or too tired are not excusable. If you're not fit enough to drive then don't.

First of all. That’s awful. Simple terrible and I don’t know what else to say especially as someone who has a three month old child with the memories of my wife being pregnant fresh in my mind. It’s also the kind of thing I dread. I drive around 20000 miles a year and probably drive 19900 in a responsible fashion. There are odd times when you don’t. The takeaway in the car when you are hungry and drive too fast home to eat it. The CD which needs changing when you know you should wait. The times when I’ve left for work at 6 a.m and got home late and have driven across the country feeling my eyes going and knowing that the services aren’t for another 30 miles.

I’m not saying its right or that I’m proud to have done any of these things. Just that it’s very difficult to be in a fit state to drive 100% of the time.

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
No because then you would have wanted to kill them, which is murder, as opposed to when you don't have the intent, in which case it is mitigated to a manslaughter-style charge. Honestly Dan, how did you pass uni?

Personally I think accidents are accidents - he should be severely punished for his actions, but I don't see why he should be punished more than any other person who does the same, not more simply because of the accidental consequences.

In my opinion as soon as you get behind the wheel when you know you've had a few, whether you think it has affected you or not, you're breaking the law and risking your life and somebody else's. Whether you injure somebody or not there should be a heavy prison sentence to stop this completely stupid act.

franks brother

No it is not long enough; unfortunately judges are restricted by sentencing guidlines which reflect government policy on crimes. He should have gone away for at least double that sentence.
:censored:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Is this a guilty conscience coming through?

Not particularly, but there have certainly been times when, if I had been in an accident, I would have been blaming myself for not being as sharp behind the wheel as I could have been.

Hungover, tired, feeling unwell, changing a CD, eating, drinking, looking for something in the glovebox, trying to read a map, reaching for something on the floor that one of my screaming children has dropped ..... any of which would have made my reactions slower, dangerously slower and I'd have been persecuting myself for being so stupid if I'd have killed or injured someone at that moment.

Easy for us all to stone the fella, but people in glass houses and all that, I'm sure we've all done one of the things above, and could be facing people asking "Why did you have to reach into your lap for that bit of Toffee Crisp at that moment, you ****er. How important was that crumb of chocolate?"

I bet the guy is never going to be able to get over what he's done, and nor will the family of those who died. I'm not excusing him, I'm just offering some perspective.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada

Well, perhaps I was being a bit OTT, but my main point was he should have got longer in my opinion.

With regards to the Uni pass, they'll give anyone a degree nowadays:lol:

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
i have to agree with most of what gritt23 is saying if he got 25 years it wont bring the kids back and although i really do feel for the family luke is no monster,he is actually a decent bloke ....he's stupid but no monster i think this is probably a fair sentence but you can't blame the family for being disapointed

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Appalling.. truly appalling as it is for the family... I'm sure he will regret the stupid decision to leave his hotel early for the rest of his life. He can't possibly have imagined the consequences, no matter how ridiculous getting in his car seems with hindsight.

I don't think waving pictures of the children in his face was necessary and, I think, it's a reasonable sentence for a crime that was obviously not pre-meditated. I'd like to think he doesn't walk straight back into football though... there's something that feels very wrong about seeing Lee Hughes with a big smile on his face so publicly..

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
should have got a lot longer, if not thrown away the key, total wanker

Obviously I wouldn't expect him to predict the appalling accident but it was so unnecessary and in relation to the above stories of drivers not focussing, I can't get my ahead around them.

If you're knackered bollocks, then take a break. If you want a sweetie, pull over.

If you're knackered all the time change your life!

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Not particularly, but there have certainly been times when, if I had been in an accident, I would have been blaming myself for not being as sharp behind the wheel as I could have been.

Hungover, tired, feeling unwell, changing a CD, eating, drinking, looking for something in the glovebox, trying to read a map, reaching for something on the floor that one of my screaming children has dropped ..... any of which would have made my reactions slower, dangerously slower and I'd have been persecuting myself for being so stupid if I'd have killed or injured someone at that moment.

Easy for us all to stone the fella, but people in glass houses and all that, I'm sure we've all done one of the things above, and could be facing people asking "Why did you have to reach into your lap for that bit of Toffee Crisp at that moment, you ****er. How important was that crumb of chocolate?"

I bet the guy is never going to be able to get over what he's done, and nor will the family of those who died. I'm not excusing him, I'm just offering some perspective.

Having had 2 seperate instances regarding best friends being involved in accidents (one was innocently killed and the person responsible was locked up for 3 years and the other one was sent to prison for killing someone after falling asleep at the wheel) I have seen this from both sides.

In my opinion there are different circumstances that I can accept 'could happen to anyone' but i'm afraid this bloke is a twat. I'm sure i've driven countless times the morning after when if pulled i'd be over the limit but in terms of how that alcohol is actually affecting me, 8 hours of not drinking, six hours kip and breakfast is very different to 2 hours not drinking and 2 hours kip.

You know that if you've been drinking till 2 and get in a car you will be entirely responsible for what happens because it WILL affect your actions. I know he'll find it tough and people will say it could happen to anyone but i'm afraid it couldn't happen to everyone

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
I'm not sure why I find myself sympathising with McCormack here. I suppose it's along the lines of what Gritt's saying - obviously the family have suffered enormously because of his actions, and there's no question he deserves the punishment he's got, but the whole thing seems to be a tragic error of judgement; he went to bed after drinking and drove the next morning, presumably thinking he was "okay". A stupid, reckless decision, unquestionably, but the abuse he's getting, and all the hate that being directed his way doesn't sit easily with me. There are plenty of other people out there who will have done the same thing; he's far from alone in doing what he did. I feel his relative fame is making him something of a scapegoat for a wider problem.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Luke McCormick is my goalie in Football Manager 2008.

Game didn't predict that one

listening to the serious news tonight, the man had been told not too drive, he had been told to rest,

no one should have any sympathy for this man, condone his actions and if you act as irresponsible as him, deserve anything you get.

Remember that car, that lorry is a machine dangerous of killing but OK in sensible hands.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm not sure why I find myself sympathising with McCormack here. I suppose it's along the lines of what Gritt's saying - obviously the family have suffered enormously because of his actions, and there's no question he deserves the punishment he's got, but the whole thing seems to be a tragic error of judgement; he went to bed after drinking and drove the next morning, presumably thinking he was "okay". A stupid, reckless decision, unquestionably, but the abuse he's getting, and all the hate that being directed his way doesn't sit easily with me. There are plenty of other people out there who will have done the same thing; he's far from alone in doing what he did. I feel his relative fame is making him something of a scapegoat for a wider problem.

According to the court evidence he was drinking heavily hours before the accident so it wasnt a case of a few pints and then a sleep off.

Something I dont really understand, and it only tends to happen with drink drive cases, are the comments that there are lots of hypocrites out there who have done the same thing, and he isnt the only one who has done it etc etc. And the authors of these comments never explain what they really mean by them. There are a few on this thread.

Jamon Jamon

Mar 25, 2008
That's how I feel. I've driven a car the next day when borderline on the alcohol limit the next day. I've driven a car tired. I've driven a car where I've been trying to change a CD and not concetrated on the road. Its very easy to go all 'Hang the bastard' when a case like this comes along but I just count myself lucky I've never been involved in anything like this.

a very honest comment, i'm sure it will apply to a few on here (maybe myself incuded?) but they won't admit it. A very sad situation in which everybody involved loses

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
He will serve a sentance in his head for the rest of his life knowing what he did. I still think that 7 yrs 4 mths should mean that though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here