Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McCammon today

Telboy

Who Are You
Jul 6, 2003
WSU
I thought McCammon did well yesterday when he came on and was the difference between us drawing and winning:)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Re: Re: McCammon today

London Irish said:

Millwall wouldn't be grabbing him back off us if he was as bad as you imply, nor would they have stopped him playing in the FA Cup.

More a case of Millwall saying ' if as MM says he wants him to sign for us then show us your money and you can have him'.

He is neither needed or likely to figure in the team at Millwall.

Lets hope that if we get him MM can do something about his first touch and overall ball control.

The first touch and ball control are OK, better than Iwelumo's. What is lacking on occasions is the accurate lay-offs, he made two mistakes yesterday in this regard. That greater accuracy would come with more familarity with the runs and movement of his new team-mates.

Really, McGhee warned all who would listen that Big Mac was not the total package as a footballer, short of giving an individual briefing to every season ticket holder in their seats, I don't know what more McGhee can do.

What McGhee said is that he would use him in a way that would minimise his weaknesses and maximise his strengths. Any calm observer would say he had succeeded in this to a degree - the results speak for themselves and the goal Big Mac created against the Gills for Virgo has turned out to be one of the most vital of the season, given the Gills' resurgence under Ternant. Without that, our current 7-point gap over relegation would be just 4.

McGhee says he can get more out of Big Mac than we have seen up to now.

That's why McGhee is making a big point of wanting the OPPORTUNITY to do this.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
I rather we did not sign him as he is not good enough. Big Chris was a better player mainly as he won his headers and had vision on his passes. Sadly McGammon just lumbers about.

A lot is made of this little & large partnership but I think Knight & Hart should have a run together. We all know about Harty and now Leon's workrate has increased this could be an effective partnership. Constant harrassing of defenders is top as they say, attack is the best form of defence.

The little & large partnership is mainly effective if playing a long ball game but we should not be doing that. With 5 in midfield there should not be much call to hit it long but use the ball along the ground playing the strikers in...Just like Reid's pass to Leon yesterday. Playing the ball on the floor and with Hart & Knight up-front we maximise our chances because both of those players are capable of picking the ball up and running at defenders...The movement is good so the one without the ball will be able to put himself in a good position. The first goal proved that yesterday.

The support from the midfield is also quality with Reid, Harding & Mayo all getting forward which can give Hart & Knight further options.

I can understand the need for a big man as it can add another dimesnion to our game if we need to change it but surely we can find someone better than McGammon.

Back to Millwall for good please.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Worthing BHA

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am not convinced about his first touch etc I believe that he is clumsy and doesnt take the ball with him enough but MM wants him so I would say go for him but try to buy out his remaining contract with Millwall not extend it until he has proven his worth for a longer one.

We obviously need a player of his like but with our finances as they are he is probably as good as we can afford.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
He is useless.

He should have scored a goal yesterday and he only seemed capable of beating defenders by going one way.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
There were time yesterday when Knight ran past McCammon to put defenders under pressure when McCammon had only been on a matter of minutes.

The two goals Leon has scored have had nothing to do with McCammon. The one yesterday was a result of the defence splitting pass from Reid, the sort of pass many on here have been saying Leon would thrive on far more then the lump up front and hope McCammon gets a header on.

My friend who is an Orient fan came to the game and was full or praise for our supporters and the team but said that McCammon would be laughed at even at Orient.

The bit when McCammon got the ball in the centre circle, tried to pass and missed the ball completely and fell over was hilarious.

It is sad that half the away crowd seemed to be laughing at McCammon and to hear Brighton fans singing 'Send him back to Millwall' is a bit harsh.

Whilst I think he is awful and we should not sign him, I also think that when he is on the pitch playing for us we should support him like any other player.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
If we had the search facility I would look up the comments posted about Currie circa last August.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Yorkie said:
If we had the search facility I would look up the comments posted about Currie circa last August.

Thats nice.

I never slagged off Currie because it was obvious the man had talent. I think the one area people may have doubted Currie was his fitness and work rate.

McCammon has no such excuse people saying things like "He wont misplace passed once he has played with people more" is a pathetic excuse.

Ok, he would perhaps begin to predict players runs but the passes he is misplacing lately are ones where he can see where the player is and just cant actually pass in a straight line to someones feet.

The one advantage of him playing is that the rest of the team pass to Leon more.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Richie I didn't say you did slag off Currie.

Lots of people did though. :dunce:

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Yorkie said:
Richie I didn't say you did slag off Currie.

Lots of people did though. :dunce:

Like this:

Utter shite. He looked totally uninterested in the second half, I couldnt believe he stayed on when Jarrett and Molango went off. I could have done a better job on the right wing tonight.

Currie seems lazy and can't run

I did say when he signed that I wasn't convinced by Currie. Now I am even less convinced. We can only hope he improves, but so far he appears no better than Beck or Lee (both of whom will surely be released soon) and considerably worse than Hart. To be fair, plenty of others were awful tonight, but there is probably a good reason why Currie hasn't been playing in the top two divisions.

Currie has got a lot of space on the right
gary hart runs into this space, currie don't
gary takles back, currie don't
gary tries, currie don't

MCGHEE PLAY HART NOT CURRIE

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
He did well when he first came on (some goods runs down the right and won us time and corners) then had one complete miss hit pass and did nothing right after that.

silky1

Aug 2, 2004
Macclesfield
I thought he looked useful when he came on. Better ball control than I expected, and beat his man a couple of times forcing corners that took lot of pressure of us. He has a role to play this season, and will probably be more effective for us this season than the much vaunted Jake Robinson.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
He had one header from a corner that went just wide, on another occasion he wrestled the ball off Kenny, but was off balance when trying to flick it in.

On the money we are likely to be paying he is as good as you can expect, clumsy but caused problems.

Did you see when Leon scored and McCammon fell over the advertising boards but could not get up and the ref had to give him a hand?

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
fosters headband said:
I can remember when M.M signed Currie the outburst on here and the way he played for the first month was awfull. But credit to M.M, in Currie he was proved right. Lets hope he see's something in Mcgammon, I for one am prepared to give M.M the credit he knows what he is doing.

What the man said

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
I took two neutrals with me on Saturday and they were pretty impressed overall (even got my sister-in-law singing GOSBTS!).

However, they couldn't believe how terrible McCammon was. He seems like a decent enough bloke and had plenty of enthusiasm, but he was lumbering and clumsy in front of goal. It even seemed at a couple of moments that other players were reluctant to pass to to him and would look for an alternative first. I thought it was telling that he wasn't actually involved in the winning goal.

Having said that, McGhee has made some excellent decisions so far that we've not all agreed with at the time. We're doing better than we expected, we outplayed Sheff Utd and I suspect the man knows what he's doing. At this point I'd rather never see McCammon in a Brighton shirt again, but what do I know?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here