Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mayo SLATES Wilkins' training regime

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
“Training is enjoyable again now. We can have a laugh and a joke as long as we work hard as well.

“I wasn’t enjoying it last year. It was very much done by the coaching manual. It was textbook, stop and start, and it became boring. Micky makes sessions fun. Training has been brilliant.”

Good old 'amazing coach' Deano :clap::clap:

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
“Training is enjoyable again now. We can have a laugh and a joke as long as we work hard as well.

“I wasn’t enjoying it last year. It was very much done by the coaching manual. It was textbook, stop and start, and it became boring. Micky makes sessions fun. Training has been brilliant.”

Good old 'amazing coach' Deano :clap::clap:
Well the fact that we finnished 7th, far higher than most thought we would, I'd say the coaching style worked.

As we have a better 1st team squad with our recent signings, barring a massive injury crisis we simply MUST finish higher, otherwise we know where to point the blame. Players are not meant to enjoy pre-season training, so this make me worried.

Unless of course its another bitter player who struggled to get a game last year, having a pop at Wilkins:angry:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
that is suprising

i was fully expecting mayo to come out and slag off adams coaching methods just a day after being given a new contract :jester:

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
I'm not a particular fervent anti Mcghee poster but it used to drive me round the bend when our lack of movement or routine at corners, throw ins or free kicks was painfully obvious for all to see.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the Wilkins sacking it seems a bit unfair to blame crap training where in the games I saw things did at least look organised if nothing else.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Bitter the words may be, but it doesn't mean they aren't the truth.

Straight from the textbook indeed...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well, if the textbook he was using, explained in a series of easy to follow diagrams, how to produce players like Elphick, Virgo, Lynch, Cox, Robinson, El Abd, Hammond and Fraser from scratch, then I hope Adams has an equally good one.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Well the fact that we finnished 7th, far higher than most thought we would, I'd say the coaching style worked.

As we have a better 1st team squad with our recent signings, barring a massive injury crisis we simply MUST finish higher, otherwise we know where to point the blame. Players are not meant to enjoy pre-season training, so this make me worried.

Unless of course its another bitter player who struggled to get a game last year, having a pop at Wilkins:angry:

Is it really so important to apportion 'blame'? :nono:

Personally, I don't think it's too much of a pop. What it says to me is that the coaching sessions were more like an ongoing extension to Wilkins' technical education aimed at the younger players - bearing in mind his preference for playing his own former Youth Team charges.

Whether training was boring or not - it ultimately bore fruit, and I think Micky could end up being one of the main beneficiaries of that.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I'm not a particular fervent anti Mcghee poster but it used to drive me round the bend when our lack of movement or routine at corners, throw ins or free kicks was painfully obvious for all to see.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the Wilkins sacking it seems a bit unfair to blame crap training where in the games I saw things did at least look organised if nothing else.

I was a fan of Wilkins but his corners were still shit!

The amount of times we played the short corner and gave the ball away was infuriating (sp)

And when we didnt play the short corner it always struggled to beat the first defender!

The amount of times we played the short corner and gave the ball away was infuriating (sp)

And when we didnt play the short corner it always struggled to beat the first defender!
And what was that routine that had four players lined up in a queue between the penalty spot and the 18 yard line?

We saw it DOZENS of times last season. How many times did we get something from it?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The corner and free kick routines last season were bloody awful, it made me yearn for the days when a fat and old Jimmy Case would sidefoot every one softly into the wall

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Shame he's hiding behind a new deal though. Makes me even more annoyed that he has fooled Adams and Knight into a new deal.

How do you 'fool' someone into giving you a contract as a professional footballer? Accept it - manager after manager after manager has found something in Mayo that they think adds to the squad. As much as it does baffle me I go with their greater knowledge and experience.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth

To be honest, I can't comment too much as I didn't see as many games as I would have liked last year. Personally, it looked like things had improved since the Mcghee era although thats not saying I had Ronaldo style anticipation everytime we had a free kick just outside the box.

My image at the end of the Mcghee spell was a throw in with a player with the ball his hands with no-one to throw it to and 10 albions players standing around doing the full tea pot. Inevetiably, we lost possesion 9 times out of 10. It seemed to be a bit better than that although as you say not exactly perfect.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here