Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Maybe some of the poster's should remember this ?

Noldi

Sep 5, 2010
Horsham
All I see hear at the moment is people see that gus has got to go and they will be happy. I had a great year last year and disappointed that we didn't get promoted BUT we are a club on the up and the (bigger house or new car) promotion will come but do we want a new manager and chairman with deeper pockets ? Look at Pompey do we want to get into that situation, I don't think so so let's be a bit patient and be like real Man U fans who remember Fergie being one game away from being kicked out or a Chelsea Fan who has no idea where they are going after becoming champions of Europe. Real Brighton fans have the respect from other supporters because what we have fought through in the past (fans United etc) so never forget the 90s they made us what we are lets get back to the days when we used to giant kill at the Goldstone. All them Plastic city fans have their new cars and bigger houses but the real City fans who stuck it out in the championship have a lot more they can call them selves real fans.

If I forget our past then I would see myself as just a plastic Amex fan.

Noldi

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It's a bit like when people worry about the 'kids of today' and think they're spending too much time in front of the TV or playing computer games and someone says "well in Victorian times they used to send them up chimneys, so let's be grateful we're not back in that era. Look at how far we've come!" Well yes, but it's utterly irrelevant. It's not 'Victorian times' any more.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
All I see hear at the moment is people see that gus has got to go and they will be happy. I had a great year last year and disappointed that we didn't get promoted BUT we are a club on the up and the (bigger house or new car) promotion will come but do we want a new manager and chairman with deeper pockets ? Look at Pompey do we want to get into that situation, I don't think so so let's be a bit patient and be like real Man U fans who remember Fergie being one game away from being kicked out or a Chelsea Fan who has no idea where they are going after becoming champions of Europe. Real Brighton fans have the respect from other supporters because what we have fought through in the past (fans United etc) so never forget the 90s they made us what we are lets get back to the days when we used to giant kill at the Goldstone. All them Plastic city fans have their new cars and bigger houses but the real City fans who stuck it out in the championship have a lot more they can call them selves real fans.

If I forget our past then I would see myself as just a plastic Amex fan.

Noldi
No one's saying 'forget the past'.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
No one's saying 'forget the past'.

Some people I think wish we still played at Withdean, BHAFC is now a proper branded football club whether you like it or not.

That will now include the sanitised version of what the club will offer you be it catering, merchandise, ticket prices etc. Also those people now running the club will not remember or want to be reminded of what happened in the past.

It is all about the Amex experience

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
All these "look where we've come from" threats are really starting to grate.

Whereas countless fuckwits whinging and saying we should sack a manager because we're only tenth and we should be topping the table are still really fun?

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
why should we settle for crap, just because we used to be worse?

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
Noldi, I think you are missing the point... We have a past and one to be proud of but there is a time and place for memories and now unfortunatly is not one of them! If (or when depending on you being a glass half empty or a glass half full kind of guy) we move on up into the Prem, then we can look back and say "look how far we've come" "look how well we have done" at themoment the focus needs to be getting out of this rutt not making it deeper!

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Yes voting with there feet,Withdean 7,000-8000 now 25,000+

How were you ever supposed to get 25k into withdean..??

Hardly a decent comparison is it. The crowds we got at withdean were on a par with crowds we get at the Amex. Just short of capacity. There were even people climbing trees to get in..

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
why should we settle for crap, just because we used to be worse?

The fact that people claim tenth in Championship with six defeats all season is crap suggests some have insane expectations

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
The fact that people claim tenth in Championship with six defeats all season is crap suggests some have insane expectations

we are that position cause we have been lucky about other results going our way, our form so far this season and the last part of last season has been crap.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
we are that position cause we have been lucky about other results going our way, our form so far this season and the last part of last season has been crap.

Our form this season is tenth. If we win our game in hand we go 7th.
'Other results going our way" I don't think that even begins to make sense over half a season

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
Are you saying you are happy with the current form? Poor performances? Poor Atmosphere?

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
Our form this season is tenth. If we win our game in hand we go 7th.
'Other results going our way" I don't think that even begins to make sense over half a season

okay so you're happy with mediocre, and thats fine. I however, would like to see a team with some backbone that can put teams away like a team of that quality should be able to.

just remember how far we have travelled,sure i get ****** off at times when i can see albion away,but does'nt any fan if it is not going right ? Sure sack the jockey there are plenty out there that would to be manager of brighton. Do you really think any forest fan wants mcleish ? Yet he would walk to brighton if he was to be offered the job. However we could be a really progressive club like barnsley ? Or blackburn ? Or wolves ? :wave:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhlqrn44u8

To be honest i liked going to gillingham,potg terraces,could get a drink without missing any of the game no need to leave before the final whistle and its taken me longer to get home from falmer on occasions:moo:

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
okay so you're happy with mediocre, and thats fine. I however, would like to see a team with some backbone that can put teams away like a team of that quality should be able to.

Top half of the championship is mediocre compared to what? the other teams in the championship and the money they've spent? our recent history? our long-term history?

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
Go and support Gillingham them...
Love the quote 'Other results going our way" so our whole season is based on luck?? and not putting in a strong performance week in week out with consistant team selections?

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011

I agree but you seem to want that right now and are not prepared to be a little patient at all. Rome wasn't built in a day mate.. Chill

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There are people on this forum who will take a minor occurrence and use it as a stick to beat the club with, eg a single piece of litter on a concourse and some scream for Barber's head!!! Equally, there are just as many who who have their heads firmly inserted either up their own arse or that of the manager where, because of the location, cannot see what is happening in front of them! Fortunately, the vast majority fall between these two stools (pun intended). The fact of the matter is that we have the best attendences in the division yet the only teams we have beaten in front of those crowds are the bottom four teams. Poyet has made some good signings as well as some very poor ones. Vicente was a gamble which still may pay off. His man management sometimes leaves a little to be desired.

Our style of football, whilst very effective in League One, is very pedestrian and predictable for the championship. Better teams and better managers have sussed us out and close us down and we don't have the quality of players to overcome that (and in particular I would target Greer who I think slows the game down far too much, possibly because he is bordering on being out of his depth). However, what probably grates on more people than anything else is the fact that we have spent a fortune (by our standards) on a player who is so inconsistent in his control and hasn't been, or even seemed like he could be, the 20 goal a season striker that any team needs. One moment he shows exceptional control and then proceeds to fall over or fail to make and easy pass to a colleague. He can show great predatory opportunism as he did against Charlton but fail to get his shot on target against Palace.

A decent frontman could answer a lot of the questions, ie we score early and, for a change, put the opposition on the back foot. We could at some stage have a fully fit team (quite clearly Bruno was not fit against Watford but we don't have anyone in the development squad to step up, the likes of Cook, Hall and Vincelot having been let go). I thought we were spending a fortune on sports sciences but that doesn't seem to be bearing any fruit at present! It could make a difference if we started a game with both KLL and Buckley. Might mean KLL doesn't constantly have two defenders marking him.

Our prayers could be answered in this transfer window but, based on the likes of Vokes and Paynter, I'm not holding my breath that we'll get the right man (I'll excuse CMS as he did come with a reputation as a goal scorer). I've heard rumours that we are close to signing a decent striker and are just negotiating image rights, something we haven't had to do before, or so I'm led to believe. Equally I have heard that Fulham are closely tracking Buckley. We could win some and lose some but that's the nature of the transfer market. The problem we have is that the likes of Buckley and Bridcutt will move if they cannot see that we are progressing on the pitch, which at the moment, that is hard to see.

And that's the rub. Progressing. It doesn't matter where we have come from, it's where we are going to that is important. TB has, reportedly, got a 5 year plan to be in the Prem. Last season as whole probably exceeded expectations but in doing so, set the benchmark for this year. The benchmark for this club is not where we were 30 years ago, not even 15 years ago but where we finished last season.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
"spent a fortune (by our standards) on a player who is so inconsistent in his control and hasn't been, or even seemed like he could be, the 20 goal a season striker that any team needs."

He's got 10 goals in 20 starts (1 sub appearance). So he's on course to score 20 goals this season

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here