Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Maybe i am wrong,Chelsea strikers.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Just seem to think they went for the wrong guy in Torres,forget the fee paid. Sure the two i name are not out and out strikers however i think they could have partnerd Drogba well and they are either Kevin Davies or Nolan. :shrug:

garethlewes

Nov 9, 2010
Nolan is a Midfielder, but I get what you mean.I think the best option for the price would have been Suarez on his recent performances.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Not sure Davies and Drogba would work too well and they'd have Lampard ahead of Nolan. Torres will come good, maybe not till next season but he will start banging them in soon enough

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Torres' plight certainly is not being helped by Suarez, he seems to be the real deal, I actually shouted at the tv in disbelief when he made a mockery of the Man Utd defence for Liverpools first goal, he continued to be a complete and utter manace all afternoon. I'm sure Torres will come good but that will not be in the same team as Drogba who I expect to leave this summer.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
DFP is right, Drogba and a fair few others won't be there for that much longer anyway, making this a bit of a moot point.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Rumour has it that Torres was an Ambromaovich signing rather than an Ancelloti one. The last time he did that was Schevchenko. That worked out well didn't it!

The thing about Torres is he is a confidence player and that confidence had totally gone before the world cup. He'll come good again, but they will have to be very, very patient.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
The only reason they bought Torres, and for that money, was to show to everyone that Abrahamovic is still interested - nothing to do with the value of the player. Similar to the reasons city bought Robinho, very little to do football reasons. I doubt Torres will ever reach the highs he was capable of. I'm sure Liverpool got the better end of that deal, and spent well in Suarez and possibly on Carroll too - too early to tell on that one, but the potential is there.

The fact that Chelsea are buying players more for form than function, reveals that they are the fantasy-football plaything of the owner rather than the 'free-reins' decision of any manager.

As Abramovich just gets players he finds interesting, his sides are lagging behind Man U who are picking up players who function well in that team. Oddly I suppose, it's better to be owned by chairmen who confess to know bugger-all about football and just trust the manager to get on with it.

Manchester City fall somewhere between those two, and their best buy was Tevez who they took from United. Obviously buying the best players from rival clubs will suggest that the advantage is increased because they are losing their valuable asset while the buyer is gaining said asset.

Torres was off the boil at Liverpool, and his intensity, vitality and vivacity on the ball was already missing. He doesn't appear to have regained it now either, which suggests we've really seen the best of that player.

On the other hand, a player like Berbatov appears to still possess the intent and interest, the talents haven't dried up and he just comes up with amazing skills.
Chelsea have paid a lot for a 'damp squib' there, unless they can inspire him to his old form. I don't know - it could be that he's bored of the UK or of English football - or just of football. Give the boy a job as boot-boy for a while, perk him up or ship him away and get the money back, that would be my advice.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
The only reason they bought Torres, and for that money, was to show to everyone that Abrahamovic is still interested - nothing to do with the value of the player. Similar to the reasons city bought Robinho, very little to do football reasons. I doubt Torres will ever reach the highs he was capable of. I'm sure Liverpool got the better end of that deal, and spent well in Suarez and possibly on Carroll too - too early to tell on that one, but the potential is there.

I agree to some extent. But think Robinho was much more of a "trophy" purchase. Torres has proven himself as a great goal scorer in the Premiership and SHOULD have been a great signing. Everyone thought his sulky nature and off the boil performances were him just wanting to get out of Liverpool, but a few games into his Chelsea career he still doesn't seem to have any fire in his belly. Wouldn't be surprised if he has just lost interest in the game but to the same extent I wouldn't be surprised if he went on to score 25-30 goals for Chelsea next season.

Definitely agree that Liverpool have done very well out the deal now that Suarez has taken to Premiership football like a duck to water. Carroll was hugely overpriced but will be an important player and adds another dimension to their play

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I agree to some extent. But think Robinho was much more of a "trophy" purchase. Torres has proven himself as a great goal scorer in the Premiership and SHOULD have been a great signing. Everyone thought his sulky nature and off the boil performances were him just wanting to get out of Liverpool, but a few games into his Chelsea career he still doesn't seem to have any fire in his belly. Wouldn't be surprised if he has just lost interest in the game but to the same extent I wouldn't be surprised if he went on to score 25-30 goals for Chelsea next season.

Definitely agree that Liverpool have done very well out the deal now that Suarez has taken to Premiership football like a duck to water. Carroll was hugely overpriced but will be an important player and adds another dimension to their play

Fair enough - to be perfectly reasonable to Torres, I suspect he has not been fully fit, certainly since the WC, and probably quite a while before - I think L'pool probably over-played him when they shouldn't have done, as they were so reliant on him, especially when Steve G was injured last season.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Fair enough - to be perfectly reasonable to Torres, I suspect he has not been fully fit, certainly since the WC, and probably quite a while before - I think L'pool probably over-played him when they shouldn't have done, as they were so reliant on him, especially when Steve G was injured last season.

Good point. Would say he'll get a good rest over the summer but no doubt Chelsea will be off around the World on some money making tours

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
Should have gone for Sergio Aguero!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
About a month ago I posted that Torres could be one of the biggest waste of money signings in the history of the English game, and his continued poor form doesn't surprise me at all. Fair play to Chelsea, they've bought a lemon and the manager's a lame duck but they still keep on picking up good results.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Rumour has it that Torres was an Ambromaovich signing rather than an Ancelloti one. The last time he did that was Schevchenko. That worked out well didn't it!

Indeed. Big BIG Chelsea fan at work (STH and will tell you that he remembers when they were in the old 2nd Div) has said numerous times Torres was an Ambramovich "plaything".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here