Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

May 3rd 1997. Where were YOU?

nutter

Jul 6, 2003
Brighton
Listened to it on the radio.My dad couldn't hack listening (too stressful) so went for a drive leaving me in the house on my own!! One of the most nerve wracking days ever

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
Was in a bar in Amsterdam on a stag weekend. Got rather paranoid smoking certain substances and then having to ring home from the bar. The next thing me and a couple of mates are running around the bar with everyone thinking we had gone crazy!!

Wienergull

Geht in Ordnung
Jul 10, 2003
Berlin Mitte
In Prague, pacing a colleague's living room floor and following developments on Sky Sports. The colleague was a fanatical Bristol Rovers supporter who understood exactly what I was going through and kept me supplied with fine Czech beer throughout to numb the pain.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was in Wales, I was best man at a wedding and had a radio in my suit pocket. Kept nipping out to catch up on the score and listened to last five minutes outside the reception room, oblivious to everyone.

It was doubly sweet to me: my girlfriend at the time was from Hereford, so I had plenty of bragging rights.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I was in Wales, I was best man at a wedding and had a radio in my suit pocket. Kept nipping out to catch up on the score and listened to last five minutes outside the reception room, oblivious to everyone.

It was doubly sweet to me: my girlfriend at the time was from Hereford, so I had plenty of bragging rights.

I was also at a Wedding.

I had a mini radio and earpiece in.

We scored in the middle of the Speeches.............:eek:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Behind the goal, four of us, after trying out the view near the back of the stand. There was hardly any air back there and I was ready to pass out like the few I saw who already had.

Wasn't it thoughtful of the police to make us walk all around the stadium to get back to the car park across the road? F**king useless plods.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
at home listening to the radio, with my dearest mother saying "its only football!" when I was almost in tears when the final whistle went!

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
At home in Southampton, trying to follow it on the radio.

Kicked out by Mrs Hiney at halftime as I was driving her mental with my pacing up and down. Went to Marks & Spencer and wandered around with my earpiece.

When the goal went in and at the final whistle, it must have been a strange sight as a random bloke with an earpiece was CAVORTING in the lingerie department.

It is one of the big regrets of my life that I didn't try harder to get a ticket.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
At home listening on the radio

Me too. Brought in my piece of Goldstone turf from the garden and put it in front of the radio for good luck (how sad is that?). And I blubbed like a big girls blouse when the final whistle blew.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Edgar Street away end. Behind that arse who insisted on sitting on the fence/wall and blocking the view.

D

Deleted member 2719

Edgar Street, ended up on the roof doing tarzan impression and wondering why do drugs the emotion was immense and the high lasted so long.

What a day!

CC2

Nov 9, 2008
Was in the upper tier seats pretty close to the halfway line with my wife and sons aged 8 and 6. I felt sick all day, nerves initially then sheer relief. I know why both my boys are true fans of this club and have never been drawn to the 'glamour; of the premier league, days like that forced it into them no matter how young they were. They will support this club until they day they die.

To me the only highlight/relief that day was Liz Costa and Sarah Watts shouting 'we want dick' at the final whistle :lolol:

Billy Mays

Aug 14, 2008
Fruit Cove
On the little flat bit of terrace at the bottom of the away end. Couldn't see much and thought that it was Baird who had equalised at first. Happy memories of a pub beer garden somewhere in the Cotswolds before the game and a pub which from memory was close to Swindon speedway on the way home. Travelled on a minibus. Had to act as peacemaker to avoid a ruck before the game. Bizarre love triangle incident. Happily common sense prevailed when I pointed out that said incident took place about 8 years before!

Their left back was called Murray Fishlock I seem to remember. This was the entire basis for my pre-match confidence that everything was going to be ok.
No matter how bad things had got I couldn't see us being consigned to oblivion by a bloke called Murray Fishlock. Happily I was right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here