Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] May 2021 local elections and Hartlepool by-election

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
We moved into our new gaff last August. We’ve been visited by two candidates.

The Tory:

‘I assume you’ll be voting for me’
‘Why do you make that assumption?’
‘You live in the type of house that suggests you would’ (yep, honestly)
‘ok mate’

The Lib Dem

‘Hi. Welcome to the area. I’ve been your Councillor for 12 years. We haven’t got everything right, but I like to think we’ve got more right than wrong’.
‘Tell me about a couple of your failures and how you plan to rectify them’
He did.

I’ll be voting. I always do; I see it as a duty.

I know little about local politics (my bad, I know), so I’ll be voting based on:

1. Eliminating candidates who couldn’t be arsed to contact me
2. Voting for the candidate who impressed me most when they visited.

Tough call.
No vote in Horsham then, no visits and 1 flyer through the doors grounds for a really educated decision, not.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I'm done with all voting now. Stepping outside of democracy as my protest against the current blight of cronyism and sleaze to become a 'did not vote' statistic.

If there ever comes a time when resignations for poor behaviour restart then I'll be back. When honesty and integrity matter again.

That is how I feel, people who say you must vote, you cant complain if you dont etc etc is total bollox, you have a right to say no, none of you deserve my vote, you are all crap, I wish more people did it then they may just start listening and doing the right thing, people who vote just because they blindly support a certain party in westminster get right up my nose.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Labour deserve everything they're about to get. Between 10 - 17% behind the Tories in the polls. They betrayed the British public over Brexit and have abandoned their traditional working class voters with their woke, anti British policies. Starmer is as useless as his predecessor. We need an opposition Party but Labour are not up to the job. They are unelectable. Hartlepool will go blue & the Tories will win more council seats. Locally we have council elections in Patcham & Hollingbury. The current council is not fit & proper - I hope residents here will make the right choices.

Apart from Hartlepool it is local elections, vote for a councillor or council leader who you think is right for where you live not based on Brexit you blue rinsed fool.
Or dont vote for any of them as a protest if you think they are all self serving crap.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Local elections tomorrow are you bothered ?

I’ve met the current Police & Crime Commissioner for Sussex Police. As such, I will be making the effort to try and vote her out.

D

Deleted member 22389

It's the same old, same old from all parties in my area "We will improve the A259" no they won't.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Voting is a precious thing which millions around the world are denied and which generations fought and died for the right to allow us to do. The least you can do is toddle off down the local church hall and put an X on a bit of paper. Or just write write "****" against all of them if you truly want to register a protest.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Apart from Hartlepool it is local elections, vote for a councillor or council leader who you think is right for where you live not based on Brexit you blue rinsed fool.
Or dont vote for any of them as a protest if you think they are all self serving crap.

Except, again, it's first past the flippin' post so you I will be voting for someone who could win.

The West Yorks mayoral election is Supplementary Vote which is surely far preferable?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'm done with all voting now. Stepping outside of democracy as my protest against the current blight of cronyism and sleaze to become a 'did not vote' statistic.

If there ever comes a time when resignations for poor behaviour restart then I'll be back. When honesty and integrity matter again.

Whilst I agree, I still believe it should be compulsory to register your opinion.

if the turnout is 60% today and some slezebag wins with 55% of the vote, they'll be lauded as victor.

thats a1/3 of the voters.

less than didn't vote, but you gave up your voice

if 40% said 'None of the above heaps of brown smelly stuff'

It would make you the the winner and more likely than not kick start a change.

33% sleaze and 27% the rest will get the message and a P45 with any luck.

FWIW I had a knock on the door from the Greens in Shoreham, they will get my vote in Adur, whatevers most likely to oust Blue for WSCC . . . I have spoken to the local Tory Councillor in the past, he knows exactly how I feel. not seen him since, I've never seen a Labour councillor, depsite briefly being a party member.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Only got Police Commissioner in our ward today, so I'll have to trek all the way down there in order to write 'This is ridiculous waste of money' over my ballot form and then trek all the way back :rolleyes:

I may moan, but I appreciate what people have done to give me the right to do that :wink:

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I always vote in local council elections and the GEs. BUT today I only have a vote in the PCC election. An election that makes the head of Sussex police a political appointee which is wrong. It should be filled using the old method of a panel of multi-party local councillors not voted on based on which party the candidate is representing. To take it a step further - candidates should have to have served in the force previously. So I won't be voting because I don't agree with the system.

Agree with everything you have said, but can't give a thumbs up as if you don't agree with it you need to make that clear on your ballot paper. Not voting is implicitly supporting the status quo.

(And same with [MENTION=25402]Blue Valkyrie[/MENTION]).

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
i don't think you have to, but thank you for the reminder, i have now put a pen in my pocket.

pen.JPG

Birotastic !

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I'll be voting for an independent in the council elections in my ward and as I'm there I'll vote for the independent in the PCC election as he is a retired police officer.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Having grown up been of an age to vote in Australia, where it is compulsory to attend a polling booth*, I'll be voting. Anti-Tory protest vote, so for where I am I think that means Lib Dem to have the most value.

* Many think it is compulsory to vote in Australia. It isn't. It is only compulsory to turn up and get your name crossed off. What you do after that is up to you - it's perfectly legal to put a blank voting slip in the box. Or draw a comedy rooster on it. Or whatever.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Well, since you've mentioned it, I'm bothered, because my wonderful wife is standing to become the first ever (bar a Lib Dem defection in 1999) Labour councillor for Southwick Green. If she gets in she'll just be doing the community stuff she does already in a more formal way, and she's certainly got a chance!
https://m.facebook.com/Robina-Baine-for-Southwick-Green-106087734347708/

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I'm there I'll vote for the independent in the PCC election as he is a retired police officer.

Have you actually read up on him? All he does is bang on about MSM and Fake News. If that is your thing then fine but I learnt last time round to check the background of Independents. Sounds like a good thing if you just read Independent and ex copper. And yet his stance on defending your home sounds a bit US gun lobbyish. Again, if that is your thing then fine but looking at my choice of Independents today, I have this guy and an ex UKIP candidate. I thing the last election we had, the Independent was ex BNP.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Only got Police Commissioner in our ward today, so I'll have to trek all the way down there in order to write 'This is ridiculous waste of money' over my ballot form and then trek all the way back :rolleyes:

I may moan, but I appreciate what people have done to give me the right to do that :wink:

Same here, apart from the voting card I have received nothing to give an insight of who is standing and what their agenda is. Still looking forward to see if spoilt ballot can win this election.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here