Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Max Mosely Latest

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Is Ridley Road - Dalston ?

Is the Bagel Bakery still there...

I used to share a house with some students who would invite their wacky middle class mates to come round and play the bongos until the earlier hours of the morning. I remember them removing the TV from the living room because

"The BBC is just the state man...." and apparently it ruined the Karma.

Probably accountants now.

That was over ten years ago and the street I lived in was well rough. I presume it's a much nicer place to live now.

Having said that - We've had more trouble round here in last couple of years than I ever had in Dalston.

Dandyman

In London village.

I used to share a house with some students who would invite their wacky middle class mates to come round and play the bongos until the earlier hours of the morning. I remember them removing the TV from the living room because

That was over ten years ago and the street I lived in was well rough. I presume it's a much nicer place to live now.

Having said that - We've had more trouble round here in last couple of years than I ever had in Dalston.

:lolol: Tis is indeed Dalston

Dandyman

In London village.
A market I know very well and use frequently.

From 1945 UK Nazi's and racists continued to hold marches, rallies and attacks around the market and its surrounds including the Synogue 2 doors from my house until the mid 60's.

I would add, mainly Jewish Ridley Road as it was then.

Dandyman, did you know Alan Sugar started his first "indoor" enterprise there, above what is now the TFC. An old textile factory with the Jewish six stary thing - is it Star of Jerusalem? Enbedded at the top of the factory.

LC

Interesting, did n't know that.

I assume the star is a Star of David ( cue old gag about difference between the Star of David and Spurs is that at least the former always has 6 points).

It certainly is.

The Bagel Shop is still there - its manufacturing plant is one of the businesses I deal with.

What street did you live in?

Until we move in that was 8 years ago - it was notorious. And we have had our fair share of attempted break ins etc.

The area feels much better now. The concentration of drug dens reduced considerably, visibly less pro's on the street, though still a fair share of alcoholics, that love to sit on their doorsteps and soak up the sun.

The black pub opposite the bagel place has closed down, as have lots more of the pubs.

The main ethnic culture is definately turkish, with great cafe's, restaurants and reasonable bars.

We are getting a tube line in 2010 (another Ken project) - which is definately bringing in investment - slowly and not always of a good quality.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I think you are right about Nicholas Mosley. I'm fairly sure Max Mosley has a conviction for violence associated with his father's attempts to invade the then fairly Jewish Ridley Road market in Hackney in the early 1960's.

fair dos. Sounds like Max wasn't quite as I'd heard then.

Interesting, did n't know that.

I assume the star is a Star of David ( cue old gag about difference between the Star of David and Spurs is that at least the former always has 6 points).

That's right - David.

A lot of people used to always assume i was Jewish, cos both my forename and surname appearing to be of Jewish origin, weird that "London Calling"? god knows the origin of that?

MAX THE **** AND RIDLEY ROAD

"It is significant that when in 1959 Sir Oswald decided to stand as the Union Movement's Parliamentary candidate for North Kensington, Nicholas objected to what his father was doing because the area had been the focus of race riots.

But Max defended him. "I had a lot of sympathy for his views in those days," he has admitted.

Two years later, aged 21 and still at Oxford, Max Rufus Mosley was fined £2 for obstructing a policeman in Trafalgar Square.

He had been taking part in a counter-demonstration against an antiapartheid protest and was said to have been travelling in a lorry containing a mallet, three pickaxe handles and six coshes.

How these implements echoed the Mosley marches of the Thirties that took the Blackshirts through the East End heartland of the Jewish community, armed with pickaxe handles to repel the violence they knew they were bound to cause.

The following year, Max was in court again accused of threatening behaviour in what became known as "The Battle of Ridley Road".

Ridley Road was the East London market which, at that time, was a focus of the local Jewish community, and, accompanied by Max, the obnoxious Oswald Mosley had provocatively decided to hold a Union Movement meeting there.

He addressed a gathering crowd from a lorry and almost immediately fighting broke out.

Mosley, then 65, was knocked down and punched by angry citizens. Max, 22, went to his father's defence and was arrested. "

SOURCE THE FREE THINKING "DAILY MAIL"

jUST TO ADD That Dalston was not just the local Jewish area, but then the main Jewish area of the UK!!

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Just had to look it up.

I was off Queensbridge Road, on a road called Brownlow Road.

It was the Queensbridge Road bit that was always a bit scary, there was a notorious estate there which I think has now been closed ?

Funny what you remember (and this is slightly obscure) I was getting on the train at Dalston Kingsland one morning. I'd bought a McDonalds egg and bacon McMuffin and placed it on the wall on the stairs down to the platform (in it's bag) whilst I bent down to do my shoe lace up.

(please bear with me...)

Anyway - this bloke walks past and puts a banana skin in the bag. I went after him and he did turn round and give me a cheeky apology.

This story isn't really going anywhere I know, except the bloke in question was the one on the right.

Robson--Jerome-I-Believe-325773.jpg

I stopped buying his records and cancelled my fan club membership that very evening.

Last edited:

Queensbridge was one notorious estate, I think it can be safely said that in the 80's and early nineties Hackney had 3 of the worst 10 estates in London and probably the UK.

Queensbridge was one of them.

There was some amazing stat from a survey (taken as part of the consultation to review the estate) that 60% of the residents had been a victim of crime in the last month:ohmy::ohmy:.

They have bulldozed the place and rebuilt a reasonable new place, could be better, the park within it, is tokenistic.

But after a small blip, it is now going back to it old ways. It has every ABSO and other Police orders going. Last year it had a couple of stabings and the bad residents obtain income from terrorising surrounding streets, drugs etc are as prevalent as parent supervision is absent.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
They was a stat (can't remember on what basis) that put it amoung the worst in Europe.

"Keeping it real" with my wacky house mates, we used to frequent a pub there I recall.

They was a stat (can't remember on what basis) that put it amoung the worst in Europe.

"Keeping it real" with my wacky house mates, we used to frequent a pub there I recall.

Probably the number of single mums..................or % of residents living on drugs or the number of residents on benefits.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here