Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Max Miller

Bars Mar

Registered Drug User
Jan 4, 2008
In Bed With My Doner
Max Miller Invented The Phrase "Blue Joke". He Had 2 Books With Jokes In. The Risque One Was In The Blue Book.

And....I Once Saw Lee Evans Being Interviewed On TV. The Bloke Interviewing Him Asked Lee Evans Why He Often Told A Really Naff One Liner. Apparently, Bob Monkouse, Who Discovered Evans Told Him He Had To Have The Joke In His Act. Monkhouse Had In Turn Had It Passed On From Tony Hancock Who Had Been Handed It By Max Miller. Presumably Miller Had Been Given It By A Music Hall Comedian From Way Way Back.

I Don't Know If The Story Is True And I Don't Know The Joke In Question But I'd Like To Think That Stories Like That Are Real.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Amazon have got some of his material on CD.

I have a couple of CDs of his. My dad was a big fan and I always wondered whether I was named after him (my mother says not but I bet it was at the back of my dad's mind).

Max Miller died when I was very young so I have no recollection of him but having heard his material since, he was very funny with marvellous timing.

There's a play about him in Brighton next weekend.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I have a couple of CDs of his. My dad was a big fan and I always wondered whether I was named after him (my mother says not but I bet it was at the back of my dad's mind).

Max Miller died when I was very young so I have no recollection of him but having heard his material since, he was very funny with marvellous timing.

There's a play about him in Brighton next weekend.

Sounds as if there might be a few here interested in that play. Any details?

When Max was the top musioc hall star, he had it written into his contract that London shows had to finish in time for him to ba able to get a train home to Brighton.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
"Miller's the name, Max Miller, they'll never be another." My dad was a big fan and saw him several times, he said that audiences loved his delivery. He used to go to the front of the stage, put one foot on the footlights, and then glance at both wings as if he was expecting someone to come on and drag him off. Then he'd beckon the audience and say "'ere, 'ere, come ere," and tell one of his 'blue book jokes.' People loved the fact that just by being there they were somehow part of some seditious gathering pushing back the boundaries of what you could and couldn't say on stage.

Unlike a lot of comedians he knew when to stop. He was from the music hall and variety theatre generation and he did only one TV performance which was DREADFUL. He realised that TV was the future and also that it wasn't his medium (Also it ate up material at a stunning rate. You could only tell a joke once on TV and the whole nation knew it; unlike the theatre).

He was also a huge Brighton fan which automatically makes him one of Britain's best ever comedians in my book.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here