Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maupay

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
10k a week is still probably more than many Everton fans in corporate hospitality earn a month, so the point remains.

There was a time (in our lifetime) when footballers lived in similar houses to many of their more well off fans and went out on Saturday night with Debbie or Leslie to have a steak and lager and lime in a Berni Inn that many of their fans also used. We don't know, because the internet didn't exist, but I'd bet they wouldn't shout at one of their players in the pub after a defeat in those days.
I recently edited a manuscript which looked at exactly this.

The Daily Mail ran an article in 1902, headlined "Sport or Circus" complaining about the influx of money into the game (for the first time) and the language used is similar today, painting the players as "mercenaries" only in it for the money. The maximum wage for footballers was £4.

The language never changes. Footballers have and will always be a target for what they earn in the most toxic and unreasonable ways.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I recently edited a manuscript which looked at exactly this.

The Daily Mail ran an article in 1902, headlined "Sport or Circus" complaining about the influx of money into the game (for the first time) and the language used is similar today, painting the players as "mercenaries" only in it for the money. The maximum wage for footballers was £4.

The language never changes. Footballers have and will always be a target for what they earn in the most toxic and unreasonable ways.
Very interesting. Thanks for posting that insight (y)

My memories of Brighton back in the Goldstone days (but before the really gory days) was that it tended to be the manager or board who were targeted for poor performances. More than one 'sack the board' protest in Newtown Lane, 'Barry, Barry, Barry, out, out out' and that sort of thing. But you could still approach the players' coach at away games and often got a spare 'comp' or two.

Certainly one or two individual players were targeted. Thomas, Biley, Farrington and Tiltman spring to mind. But that's because they were shit rather than wealthy and shit. :moo:

Might be mixing up a couple of timelines mind. I am very old.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

My memories of Brighton back in the Goldstone days (but before the really gory days) was that it tended to be the manager or board who were targeted for poor performances. More than one 'sack the board' protest in Newtown Lane, 'Barry, Barry, Barry, out, out out' and that sort of thing. But you could still approach the players' coach at away games and often got a spare 'comp' or two.

Certainly one or two individual players were targeted. Thomas, Biley, Farrington and Tiltman spring to mind. But that's because they were shit rather than wealthy and shit. :moo:

I'm sure your memory is fine! It just sounds like at the time, we were (comparative to other sides) financially poor, so there wasn't an expectation that we weren't getting our money's worth.

I'd argue that it would probably be similar today at the Albion - a few grumbles about Dahoud and Lallana (supposedly two of our highest earners) stealing a living in the WSU last year but the majority of our players are relatively low earners in the Premier League so to yell, "you're shit and not worth £20k a week" is, in the context of Premier League footballers earnings, almost silly. When it comes to Everton however, they reportedly have six first team players currently on £100k a week or more. So there is some logic in going "you're one of the best paid players in the country and you don't perform like it" but it isn't really the players' fault that Everton pay them that, that's a management and recruitment issue.

We also hate the idea that those who are living out our childhood dreams are there for a job, to earn money. We would do it for free of course. So it is easy to see why fans of big spending clubs like Everton feel that the players are fair game even if they're obviously wrong to target them only.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

As recent as the Hypia Millwall at home game the manager and players took abuse for most of the game. The narrative Albion fans wouldn’t abuse players and staff is nonsense.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I don't think Alan Biley or Mickey Thomas were targeted for being shit, to be honest. I think both were disliked due to a perceived lack of commitment / effort. I politely say 'perceived' - they clearly gave zero shits between them.

Tiltman's situation was unfortunate - and really no fault at all of his own. He was just a local semi-pro, signed from obscurity to replace a fan's favourite in Dean Saunders, and was hopelessly, and inevitably, out of his depth.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
The thing is, Maupay got 6 PL goals last season in 29 appearances, many from the bench. I think he’ll do a job there and pick up 10-12 goals fairly consistently.

Welbeck, while playing a different role and offering more in build up play and for the team, only managed 5 goals in 29 appearances, nearly all starts.

He’ll do a job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here