Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maupay challenge on keeper.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Easy to see why the Gooners are upset at losing their first choice keeper and it is a nasty injury. The rest is pure comedy. I await the moment in a rugby game when the full back stands aside to let the opposing winger fly to the try line, in case he catches him mid air.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
To be honest I wouldn’t listen to fans of either team regarding their thoughts of the incident, I listen to the neutrals who in majority think it was an unlucky landing that injured the GK not Neal.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
The injury happened because Leno realised he was in danger of landing outside his area, or of sliding out as he landed, so he adjusted to try and lock his leg so that he wouldn't slide. It resulted in what we understand to be a nasty injury, but had nothing to do with Maupay. It was a good challenge, putting the keeper under pressure, where he may have spilled the ball or we may have gained an advantage. Well done Neil, unlucky on Leno. Arsenal fans, you're distracting yourselves and have FAR bigger issues to reflect on.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I'm of the impression that Arsenal fans are the 3rd most precious sets of fans out there. Somehow still under the impression that they are a force when they've been average for some time now.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Another thought.

They were beaten by Little Old Brighton after expecting to turn up and pat our heads.

And they don't like it one little bit.

Frankly, they ought to be getting used to it by now:

2017-18: Arsenal 2 Brighton 0; Brighton 2 Arsenal 1
2018-19: Brighton 1 Arsenal 1; Arsenal 1 Brighton 1
2019-20: Arsenal 1 Brighton 2; Brighton 2 Arsenal 1

They have beaten us once in the Premier League whereas we have beaten them three times. If by some chance we don't keep that run going next season I think we would be entitled to say we should be beating teams like Arsenal.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

For Maupay's challenge on leno, see also players standing in front of keepers coming for aerial ball at corners/free-kicks, making a back for defenders coming to make a headed clearance, overhead kicks in the penalty area etc. etc. So many incidents in every game. Its only news really because of how Leno reacted from the stretcher. That's not a criticism, simply a reaction, but without that, this would have never even been a debating point, just an unfortunate injury caused by an unfortunate landing.

But the reaction followed by Humphreys and BT deciding this was THE talking point is the platform to give Arsenal fans a "case" in their minds - but there is nobody else who watches football or plays football that believes Maupay has done anything wrong. Far worse challenges in our game and others - Cahill's challenge on Josh King was worthy of more debate I think, but the fact that King got up and hobbled off himself, took the heat away a little. Keane's 1st half challenge on Mane yesterday, could have caused an injury but didn't - far more intent to actually foul a player rather than an attempt to sneak an advantage that Maupay's push was.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Did they really expect no one was going to challenge for that ball? Crikey they are some precious fans. Sad what happened to the goalkeeper but it was an accident, no intent, get over it. The Arsenal players reaction reminded me of the Martin Keown incident with Van Nistelrooy when he acted like a complete tool and tried to dish out his own punishment for his own agenda. Side show Bob was doing exactly the same, thinks he is above the rules of the game to take his own retribution. I know where my money would be on if it was a one on one, Maupay v Sideshow Bob.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Absolutely this. An innocuous nudge and it was the keepers desire to remain in the area and place his feet in an unnatural landing position that caused the injury. It wasn't even a particularly physical challenge, it certainly wasn't a barge or rugby tackle.
Absolutely. It's laughable that people quote the rugby rules as a benchmark for judging this tackle.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
My thoughts are that the reactions of arsenal fans on social media are absolutely hilarious and have entertained me no end over the last 40 odd hours. Seriously what a bunch of cry babies.

I was quite frankly astounded at the level of bed wetting going on on twitter yesterday. Most of it laughable but some downright disgusting. One guy had changed his name to Motherless Maupay and we directly @ messaging Neal nonsense about his mum being dead. They lost one game which was pretty much a dead rubber for them. How on earth do these creatures react when they lose an important game?!?

Arsenal Fan TV is clearly a parody that gets off on finding odd balls and getting them to be OTT. An exaggerated version of the TalkSport model. They are probably delighted when they lose as they know their organic traffic will go through the roof. No wonder the proper Arsenal fans hate them. But where have all the rest of these clowns come from?? Are they a byproduct of the bile they put out?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Didn't even think it was a foul at the time, and suspect it wouldn't have been given but for the injury.

We were waiting for Leno to get off to see what we could do with the free-kick we expected to have for him handling outside the box!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I seem to remember Murray's challenge for his first against Norwich used about 10 times more force.
That was in the championship though.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Didn't even think it was a foul at the time, and suspect it wouldn't have been given but for the injury.

We were waiting for Leno to get off to see what we could do with the free-kick we expected to have for him handling outside the box!

The ref got it spot on in all respects. Maupay did arrive marginally late, and his contact did contribute to Leno travelling beyond the area - so a free kick to Arsenal was correct.

The injury, as others have suggested, was almost purely down to Leno's unnatural movement / landing, as he attempted to remain within the box.

If the same incident had played out 5 yards closer to the penalty spot, Maupay would have made exactly the same half hearted challenge. Leno would have shrugged it off, and continued his momentum in a straight line, then rolled the ball to his right back, and the game would have carried on without anybody batting an eyelid.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The ref got it spot on in all respects. Maupay did arrive marginally late, and his contact did contribute to Leno travelling beyond the area - so a free kick to Arsenal was correct.

The injury, as others have suggested, was almost purely down to Leno's unnatural movement / landing, as he attempted to remain within the box.

If the same incident had played out 5 yards closer to the penalty spot, Maupay would have made exactly the same half hearted challenge. Leno would have shrugged it off, and continued his momentum in a straight line, then rolled the ball to his right back, and the game would have carried on without anybody batting an eyelid.

Which is exactly the point as to why Maupay had to go for it!

The keeper was in an awkward position and therefore a much higher percentage of getting an advantage from any mistake he would make under pressure.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'd say it's a mixture of victim mentality, as mentioned earlier that feeling Wenger fostered of them being a skill team, and everyone else bullies, but also fans who don't like criticising their own team. One of those videos of arsenal fan TV introduces one of the guys as the one who always puts a positive spin on things, he couldn't this time so he spent his whole slot calling Maupay a cheat, and when pressed on it, and how even if it got a yellow card he'd still be on the pitch, he ignored it and went back to criticising Maupay.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
There's an Arsenal article in T'Athletic today - the article and especially the comments indicate a club in crisis. Shit squad, no money and Ozil strolling around wondering how to spend this week's £350,000.

So we should forgive their fans a bit of whining. Wenger out, you say?!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I must admit to having limited focus on the incident as I'd been drinking. [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] was screaming for a free-kick to us, and that was good enough for me.

Anyway, I now understand why Arsenal fans are so upset, as they've been linked with a SWOOP for Joe Hart.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX

That's exactly how I saw it, but for the injury I think we were due a free kick because the goalkeeper had handled the ball outside the area. He certainly tried to get the ball back into the area so he was, although injured and in pain, aware he was committing a free kick offense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here