Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

Quote seems fine to me: "I also have the belief that I'm a world class goalkeeper.......and if those opportunities were going to come, I was going to show that."
a) he is Australia's No 1 b) nothing wrong with a bit of self belief and c) what else was he going to say - "I'm really not as good as Bernd but I thought I'd give it a go"?

Leave him alone.

Last edited:

scooter1

How soon is now?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Time to close this thread and move on now Shirley. At the end of the day Maty served us well for three seasons, helped establish the Albion in the Premier League, so more than done his bit as far as l'm concerned.

Yes ok, so he said a few silly things on scoial media, and has moved on to who he sees as a bigger club, but that was his prerogative l guess. Players are largely just employees, we can't expect them to be fans of the team that they play for

We are now left with who many see as a superior goalkeeper anyway, so why the fuss? Let's all put this stupid feud to bed, and get on with our season.

Agreed.

On top of that. Up until things turned a bit sour, he was always a fans favourite really. He spoke well of fans and was always the last to leave the pitch and first to give kit away etc.

I wish him well.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Quote seems fine to me: "I also have the belief that I'm a world class goalkeeper.......and if those opportunities were going to come, I was going to show that."
a) he is Australia's No 1 b) nothing wrong with a bit of self belief and c) what else was he going to say - "I'm really not as good as Bernd but I thought I'd give it a go".

Leave him alone.
Well, he never going to say I came here to get £XXk a week sitting on my arse on the bench, is he? Daresay he's hoping for a permanent move in the summer too.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I wish him no ill but “too short” does mean that he will never be World Class imo. He was instrumental is us staying up for two seasons but not good enough for the style we now play, imo

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Oh FFS leave Ryan alone. Bloke is a big part of our recent history. Clearly a spiky confident ****er and that's just what we needed coming into the PL. Hopefully, ******** will make his move permanent and we can all part good friends apart from him and Maupay who can have a massive tear up next season:)

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
Maty Ryan is first class person and a very good keeper with a different skill set to Robert Sanchez. Maty was amazing with the young supporters particularly those with serious life threatening illness. To say he is a crybaby is somewhat immature behaviour from some of our supporters. I’m pleased that he is playing for Arsenal a big step up from us. How many of our (not good enough) keepers in the past gone to a bigger club? Can’t think of any perhaps Mark Beeney.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A lot of posters new to NSC seem to have appeared as they have no understanding on how we work.

We're the classless fans STILL punching down on Sheffield' Wednesday.
Anyone who thinks there won't be posters still smugging out on Ryan in 10 years time is sadly mistaken.

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
World class he ain't, but he was good enough for us FFS, even had a great song chanted for him.
Some Albion fans are very fickle :lolol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
a) he is Australia's No 1 b) nothing wrong with a bit of self belief and c) what else was he going to say - "I'm really not as good as Bernd but I thought I'd give it a go"?

Leave him alone.

I’m pleased MR has confidence in his game, good luck to him. Unless Arsenal spend big yet again eg Sam Johnstone will be sold this summer for £20m, I think he may get plenty of game time. Leno is getting blamed for a catalogue of errors this season.

For our purposes, personally I think Sanchez has ended up being an upgrade.

Everyone’s a winner.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
World class he ain't, but he was good enough for us FFS, even had a great song chanted for him.
Some Albion fans are very fickle :lolol:

Are we the fickle ones though? Yes Maty was very good for us and good luck to him in his dream move to his beloved Arsenal. But something about this move just ain't right and the repercussions it has thrown up. He was good for us, no doubt but he always had his doubters about his ability even through the good times. Replaced by a rookie goalie he was told he could find another club. Now all of a sudden he is world class looking to replace another world class keeper. Why didn't he want to fight for his place here to prove the doubters wrong?. It must be far easier to ease out a rookie against a worldie keeper. Perhaps the prize wasn't big enough here, who knows but all seems very strange to me. An Arsenal mate of mine rates Ryan but only as a back up keeper.

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Are we the fickle ones though? Yes Maty was very good for us and good luck to him in his dream move to his beloved Arsenal. But something about this move just ain't right and the repercussions it has thrown up. He was good for us, no doubt but he always had his doubters about his ability even through the good times. Replaced by a rookie goalie he was told he could find another club. Now all of a sudden he is world class looking to replace another world class keeper. Why didn't he want to fight for his place here to prove the doubters wrong?. It must be far easier to ease out a rookie against a worldie keeper. Perhaps the prize wasn't big enough here, who knows but all seems very strange to me. An Arsenal mate of mine rates Ryan but only as a back up keeper.

I can only guess the lure of London and Euro footy might have been the temptation to move on.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Maty Ryan is first class person and a very good keeper with a different skill set to Robert Sanchez. Maty was amazing with the young supporters particularly those with serious life threatening illness. To say he is a crybaby is somewhat immature behaviour from some of our supporters. I’m pleased that he is playing for Arsenal a big step up from us. How many of our (not good enough) keepers in the past gone to a bigger club? Can’t think of any perhaps Mark Beeney.

Agreed. Always went in the crowd and stayed behind. Reminded me of Stockdale. Yes, Maty has said / done some silly things on shitty social media, but let’s not have fans turning on him or having short memories - exactly as they did with Stockdale funnily enough!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here