Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan joins Arsenal

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
That s not how RDZ told the story, he dropped Sanchez to teach him a lesson and had no idea he would have a major toys out of the pram session. He was always going to be the No. 1. Silly boy
Umm no, thats not what RDZ said. Ever.

All of the things you wrote only happened in your fantasy. Apart from the RDZ "having no idea" how players react on his behaviour, that one is probably correct.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
All GKs make howlers, unfortunately for Sanchez, he tended to let the one howler impact the remainder of his game compounding the error when he really should have brushed it off and moved on. You literally could see in his demeanour that he was still grappling with having made a mistake, 30-40 minutes later. He always did that even under Potter. Any comparisons to Maty Ryan though is ridiculous, as @GT49er said, he is the best keeper we have had in recent years. Unfortunately he couldn’t bend to RDZ’s style of football-playing GK - while established players like Dunky, Lallana, March etc all adapted their football under RDZ, it just wasn’t Sanchez’s skill set and he knew it.

Bart will surpass him in quality imo and may be one of the break out top GK‘s in European football next season.
This is on eof the reasons I always felt Maty Ryan was much maligned.

He rarely made howlers.
His weakness was shots from distance.

Admittedly for the bulk of his time he had DD in front of him blocking everything.
He wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes playing DeZerbiball

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That s not how RDZ told the story, he dropped Sanchez to teach him a lesson and had no idea he would have a major toys out of the pram session. He was always going to be the No. 1. Silly boy
Rubbish. That would have been true if Sanchez had been restored to the no.1 position when he came back and made two superb performances against Chelsea and then at Wembley. Dropping him again after that proves that your version is bollocks. RDZ's first comment on Sanchez when asked at a press conference (long before that Palace howler gave him the excuse to drop him) started, 'Robert is a good goalkeeper, but...........'

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
This is on eof the reasons I always felt Maty Ryan was much maligned.

He rarely made howlers.
His weakness was shots from distance.

Admittedly for the bulk of his time he had DD in front of him blocking everything.
He wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes playing DeZerbiball
He made lots of errors, his first 3 games he was at fault for goals.
Plenty of weak hands, poor positioning/starting position.
Wasn’t great from distance…

Did make some good saves as well (especially Southampton away, and a double save versus Palace) but it’s the ones you let in…..

Sorry, just didn’t rate him.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
He made lots of errors, his first 3 games he was at fault for goals.
Plenty of weak hands, poor positioning/starting position.
Wasn’t great from distance…

Did make some good saves as well (especially Southampton away, and a double save versus Palace) but it’s the ones you let in…..

Sorry, just didn’t rate him.
Agreed he wasn't great, but he rarely made absolute howlers., which most of our previous and subsequent keepers have had in their locker.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Exactly. All that angst because he fell out with de Zerbi is just that - angst. He was one of the best GKs we ever had, and it's a pity de Zerbi (and Ricardo) just took against him. Better than Steele? Undoubtedly. Better than Bart? - Bart has yet to show he is better than prime Sanchez. At the time RDZ and Sanchez fell out, de Zerbi was a god on NSC, who could do no wrong and was above any criticism - any variance from that agenda would be slapped down instantly. For some though, de Zerbi isn't quite as infallible as he once was!
The 'Sanchez was the pits and a ****** for downing tools' isn't quite the absolute incontrovertible mantra that it once was - although there are some who just won't let that go.
"Prime Sanchez" lasted about 3 months.

He had a lot of potential which seemed to go to waste.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Except that in the modern era, distribution from the keeper is a key element and Sanchez was poor at that.
There was no issues with Sanchez distribution until someone told him he needs to participate in a rondo or two in his own penalty area. He's always been very high in the pass completion ratio (even this season in Chelsea) among PL keepers and his long passing is excellent. His just not built to do quick very short passing because his ball control isn't anywhere near his passing ability.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Suggest you watch the friendly vs Athletico (which didn’t matter) and then City and Leicester…. 😃
Reminds me, one of the guys I go with was on holiday for those games. When he came back he asked me how Maty was looking as our new keeper. He didn’t believe me when I said that every well hit shot on target in all three games had ended up in the back of the net :lolol:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sanchez ….dumped by Chelsea from PL games, also Spain. What next for El Sulk, a loan to his home town club FC Cartagena?
This. Massively failed the big club test just like Potter.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I remember WBG in an interview saying that RDZ told him where his weaknesses were when he was struggling to make the starting 11, and how he then spent months working on those weaknesses and studying and talking to RDZ, Pascal and AliMac about those situations in order to improve.

He could, of course have downed tools and refused to be considered for selection, but he's always struck me as a mature, well balanced individual ???

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
Maty Ryan became a ghost by the end, he was as pointless as Jason Steele is. If the shot is on target, it's in the net. There will be some basic saves that any punter out of the crowd would make, but shots will go past him and undermine the whole team. There was obviously no belief in him long before he finally got dropped.

He might do ok in the Championship.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Maty Ryan became a ghost by the end, he was as pointless as Jason Steele is. If the shot is on target, it's in the net. There will be some basic saves that any punter out of the crowd would make, but shots will go past him and undermine the whole team. There was obviously no belief in him long before he finally got dropped.

He might do ok in the Championship.
He’s a tight git when he left the Albion he tried to flog his second hand mattress buyer collects :facepalm:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
He could, of course have downed tools and refused to be considered for selection, but he's always struck me as a mature, well balanced individual ???
Which is to his credit, seeing as his manager often behaved like a sulky adolescent. RDZ's antics on the bench at Bournemouth, where he huffed and puffed, slumped in his seat and repeatedly pulled his hoodie over his face reminded me of 12-year old that's just been told he can't play Roblox at the dinner table.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Rubbish. That would have been true if Sanchez had been restored to the no.1 position when he came back and made two superb performances against Chelsea and then at Wembley. Dropping him again after that proves that your version is bollocks. RDZ's first comment on Sanchez when asked at a press conference (long before that Palace howler gave him the excuse to drop him) started, 'Robert is a good goalkeeper, but...........'
He explained the situation after the Arsenal win, Robert was doing what Robert wanted not what myself or the club wanted him to do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here