Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mattresses!

Only one word of advice - Go to a proper bed shop (Sussex Bed Centre) and not a shop like Homebase.

Also - always remember this...

People pay in average in excess of £3000 for a car which you spend on average 2 hours a day in. However, you spend around 8 hours a day in bed and yet, people complain when they have to pay over £150 for something that is ...

a) going to be used more
b) won't need a service or MOT each year
c) is a necessity
d) will last you for at least 10 years

£150 does sound too bad now does it?

Sounds to me you're in the bed industry and trying to justify the traditionally high prices for what is just a wood and canvass carcass with a lump of foam on top.

Shinbreath

Nov 1, 2008
Hove...
Bought a mattress years ago from the shop along Portland Road, (south side by the bingo hall).

It was a pocket sprung and hand made by the shop and was absolutely brilliant!!! Also spoke to someone around that time who also bought the same and rated theirs highly too.

Since then I left the missus and years later bought one from ikea... Tried them out at the store ... Felt good... One year on, what a pile of shite!!!

I know they are guaranteed etc but its not worth the paper its written on.

When I've got the dough I will go to Portland Road again and get mine from there.. Highly Recommended!!!

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Hello Mr Box, your trials and tribulations in shopping for a .....dog kennel...... may be best assisted by watching this video. The pitfalls of shopping for a.....you know...., are outlined within.

[yt]rGEeLtqtNvU[/yt]
Classic!!

I'll ask for a 2 foot by 60 foot dog kennel tomorrow then!!

So, here are my wise words. Like you I realised that buying a mattress was going to require some research. I did the usual searching and reading online and spoke to a few people. I ended up reading a thread that I found on moneysavingexpert.com, about 70 odd pages of it too. There is a guy on there who gives lots of advice as he works at an independent bed shop and it all makes good sense. Turns out that, after a search, it's a shop called Bedlam Beds. I ended up ordering online through him. http://www.bedlum-beds.co.uk/section/0/Customer-Reviews
I ended up buying a La Romantica, Venice mattress, about £450 + delivery and I'm very pleased with it. He said the ideal mix is 2" of memory foam on top and bottom and pocket sprung about 1000 + in a king size. More memory foam than that does not have enough bounce in it! He also said to avoid the big names and get good advise from an independent. I would avoid names like sleepeazy, Silentnight etc.

JUST ORDERED THE SAME:love:

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Just bought a new one (6 months ago) after doing research.We went to Dreams beds or whatever their called, found the one we want then went home and saved ourselves about £200 online.Don't worry too much about the foam layer on top but make sure the bed has no less than 1800 springs or it'll f*** your back up in the long run.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
cant remember what type it is, but its f***ing cumfy and my bitches love bouncing on it.

bought it from the place nr fishersgate, bed centre od summat??

bedzilla

Feb 12, 2009
When you buy online you get a seven days cooling off period. So you basically get a seven day trial of the bed for around the price of delivery. Sites normally have the cost in the terms and conditions.

Memory foam and spring mattresses seem to be the most popular types nowadays. Check out a few different sites for the same mattress as they have different prices.

Check the specifications of mattresses too because some stores have the same mattresses under different names.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
We ended up buying a foam mattress with a top layer of memory foam from Dreams. We realised after a couple of days that we had made a mistake as it was too hot even on the coldest night, which meant it would be unbearably hot in the summer, plus we couldn't get comfortable in it.

Anyway, we phoned Dreams and they told us that we had to keep it for a minimum of 30 days after which time if we still weren't happy with it, we could swap it for another bed and get a credit for the full cost of the bed we had first bought!

We went down on the 30th day, found another bed we liked (a pocket sprung one with no memory foam) and it gets delivered next Thursday and they take the first one back too.

First class service. :thumbsup:

macky

Dec 28, 2004
im thinking about a new bed
should i get the whole thing
or just a matress

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Speak to salazar - he will sort you out.

salazar

Jun 15, 2008
Haywards Heath
Just a mattress depends on what base you have at present,also what type of mattress you choose.If the base has springing in it and its more than 10 years old i would suggest replacing the whole thing,but if you have a hard top base or slated then you should be ok with just the mattress.

11 inches of pure delight with La Romantica, Venice mattress,

about £450 + delivery and I'm very pleased with it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here