Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Matt Sparrow

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I must admit I wouldn't have given Navarro another contract as I think that we have much better options. If I did it would have been as a dire emergency as cover and would have just played him in the reserves. As I have said to my mind he is much too slow and too weak in the tackle.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think Navarro is a very good back-up to Bridcutt and when we are getting overrun can probably do a better job (holding wise) than Dicker, Harley or Sparrow. I'm pleased he has been given a further year.

In terms of Sparrow, as per a previous post, I actually prefer him to Dicker at this level.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I wonder whether Gus will play El Abd just in front of the back 4 when he is fit as a very defensive midfielder especially as he rates him so highly. I think the back up to Bridcutt in that position at the moment is Vincelot.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I must admit I wouldn't have given Navarro another contract as I think that we have much better options. If I did it would have been as a dire emergency as cover and would have just played him in the reserves. As I have said to my mind he is much too slow and too weak in the tackle.

Rubbish.

Navarro was our best player in the cup game at Villa, for the simple reasons that his game is entirely based on doing the simple things, that are unchanged at all levels.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Navarro was our best player in the cup game at Villa, for the simple reasons that his game is entirely based on doing the simple things, that are unchanged at all levels.
As I have said many times all down to opinions and I think that we have better options. Wouldn't disagree about Villa he had a good game can't remember him being the best player though I have been to sleep since then and memory isn't what it was.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I wonder whether Gus will play El Abd just in front of the back 4 when he is fit as a very defensive midfielder especially as he rates him so highly. I think the back up to Bridcutt in that position at the moment is Vincelot.

Actually El-Abd isn't a bad call. Still think Navarro is good enough for another year.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Spaz can get back into contention if Harley doesn't settle into the "Gus" style of playing.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
IMO Sparrow,if he has any sense will wait for his chance,and then take it ! Good for him ,and good for the team . It has to observed that maybe due to many reasons Matt has so far failed to cement his name in the team......My guess he knows that !!!!!!!

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
From the tv pictures it appeared that he had a poor game this evening. Hoping he gets another chance as he was great for us last season but think he'll need a bit of luck staying in the starting XI

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Yep, familiar Sparrow performance really. I hoped we might see more from him this season, he should be totally settled here and I thought the vast Amex pitch might suit him more than Withdean did. But no sign of that, he'll struggle to make the bench.

Oct 25, 2003
i do REALLY like him- i just wish he'd give us a BIT more, because he has plenty of players chomping at the bit to leave him in the wilderness of the reserves

he's got great energy and is generally good on the ball- he doesn't f*** up as much as dicker

but- he just doesn't ever seem to do enough to really prove to gus that he deserves a place in that midfield

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
The worst albion player ive seen for a long while now. He never plays again for us it will be too soon. Dreadful!!!!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Bit harsh. But he was utterly anonymous last night. The only contribution I can remember is his booking. Shame really, always thought he was going to be a decent player for us. But has rarely shown it. He doesn't do a lot WRONG. But then he doesn't seem to do a lot full stop.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Spaz was shocking yesterday. Gus took too long to replace him. His positioning was absolutely woeful, and he seemed entirely depleted of energy and enthusiasm last night. This may be very harsh, but I hope he never pulls on the stripes again.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I Did to, but he just seems to gave lost complete interest in playing for us. He gives us nothing! Doesnt tackle, doesnt look as if hes bothered at all. Im sure not all will agree but, for me he'd never play for us again.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Bit harsh. But he was utterly anonymous last night. The only contribution I can remember is his booking. Shame really, always thought he was going to be a decent player for us. But has rarely shown it. He doesn't do a lot WRONG. But then he doesn't seem to do a lot full stop.

He was pretty close to scoring in the first half wasn't he? Only denied by a last ditch superb tackle by Kelly I think it was

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
He was pretty close to scoring in the first half wasn't he? Only denied by a last ditch superb tackle by Kelly I think it was

True. Didn't realise it was him until I saw the highlights afterwards.

Which perhaps sums up the anonymity of his performance.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
We've moved up a league and want to challenge again and I think there's no room for emotion. If we are to mount a serious challenge we need to up our game from last year and I'm afraid Nav's and Spaz just don't do it for me. I can't put my finger on it but we need players in CM that take control of the game and make things happen and they didn't/don't.

Easy to say CMS suffers from not having someone around him to hold the ball up and play off and I think that's true but we're not getting up though the middle and we can't simply rely on our wide men to create all the chances. That's my view anyway

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
first half he waited for the ball to come to him which was never going to work with Lucas buzzing around getting his foot in but second half until he went off he was getting to the ball and was much better, doubt it will be enough to keep his place in the team for Friday but nowhere near as bad as some have said and remember who he was playing against.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
We've moved up a league and want to challenge again and I think there's no room for emotion. If we are to mount a serious challenge we need to up our game from last year and I'm afraid Nav's and Spaz just don't do it for me. I can't put my finger on it but we need players in CM that take control of the game and make things happen and they didn't/don't.

Easy to say CMS suffers from not having someone around him to hold the ball up and play off and I think that's true but we're not getting up though the middle and we can't simply rely on our wide men to create all the chances. That's my view anyway

With regards to making stuff happen, I think that's why we have signed Harley and Vicente. To play as the furthest forward midfielder and create the chances through the middle for CMS with their vision and passing ability. Navarro and Bridcutt are there to protect the defence and move the ball onto the attacking players, something which I think they both do brilliantly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here