Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Matt Sparrow

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Down to opinions, I think he has been poor, that one cross against Sunderland aside and why this obsession with Vincelot playing as a central defender he is a midfielder or full back who COULD play centre back in an emergency, like Sunderland when Greer was injured. If it was a planned change I think Cook would be the obvious choice as a central defender replacement.

Because we have good cover in centre mid with Navarro and I'd rather have Vincelot's experience at the back than Cook against Liverpool. Thought he was playing really well against Sunderland before he got crocked. If Elphick or El-Abd were available then I'd slot Vincelot to full back but with the lack of centre back up options, he's best placed to cover there for me.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
There is nobody in football that can pass a ball over 40yds like Beckham so would you pick him for England based solely on that. Of course you wouldn't so why pick Navarro because he made 1 good pass in each of two games against Sunderland and Leicester. The rest of his game has been non existent to put it mildly.

Utter rubbish and a very blinkered view of his skills. He is very strong in the tackle, wins the ball back often and then can move it on really well, long range or short range. No he's not the quickest but neither are most of the great defensive midfielders.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
This is gonna be controversial but I'd pick sparrow ahead of Harley who I'm not convinced with yet.

Harley has shown his ability to pick a pass and split a defence, and obviously how well he can hit a free kick. But I don't think he's been working hard enough when we aren't in possession of the ball and looks, dare I say it, a little lazy. Maybe he's jut not fully match fit and that side of his game will develop with time.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Because we have good cover in centre mid with Navarro and I'd rather have Vincelot's experience at the back than Cook against Liverpool. Thought he was playing really well against Sunderland before he got crocked. If Elphick or El-Abd were available then I'd slot Vincelot to full back but with the lack of centre back up options, he's best placed to cover there for me.

Vincelot is NOT a central defender and has never played there other than as an emergency. Cook had a good pre season and tour of Portugal and is a natural central defender. Also as I have said Navarro cannot tackle as well as Vincelot and is very slow and it is likely that Gerrard will be playing so Vincelot would track him better than Navarro. If we were playing Gillingham or Orient I would perhaps go with Navarro and his lack of pace but not against Liverpool.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Vincelot is NOT a central defender and has never played there other than as an emergency. Cook had a good pre season and tour of Portugal and is a natural central defender. Also as I have said Navarro cannot tackle as well as Vincelot and is very slow and it is likely that Gerrard will be playing so Vincelot would track him better than Navarro. If we were playing Gillingham or Orient I would perhaps go with Navarro and his lack of pace but not against Liverpool.

You might be right and he might put Cook in, but I don't think he will, mainly due to lack of experience and throwing him into a side to play against Luis Suarez wouldn't be the best of ideas. As you say though, down to opinions and we'll have to wait to Wednesday night to see what Gus has in store.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think it was touch and go at the start of the season between Dunk and Cook and Dunk got the nod and has taken advantage of it, so good luck to him now lets give Cook his chance if a change is thought to be needed. The debatable point is what game does Dunk play and get his 5th yellow and miss the next game, Which one does Gus think it will suit us best for him to miss. Given the choice I am sure Gus would settle for him to get a booking vs Palace and miss Ipswich away.

Cooks lack of experience didn't stop MA sending him on out of position against Man City, when he was younger and less experienced not that Gus would do the same.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I think it was touch and go at the start of the season between Dunk and Cook and Dunk got the nod and has taken advantage of it, so good luck to him now lets give Cook his chance if a change is thought to be needed.

Gus was bigging Dunk up last season (around the time he played away at MK Dons I think) and so has always been way ahead of Cook in the pecking order to fill El-Abd's/Elphick's shoes

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
This is gonna be controversial but I'd pick sparrow ahead of Harley who I'm not convinced with yet.

This is going to be even more controversial, l'd pick Matt Sparrow ahead of Gary Dicker, who admittedly can pick out a pass, but gets overrun and knocked off the ball far too easily in my opinion.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Gus praises all players in his squad to give them added confidence and just as quickly brings them back down to earth, so I wouldn't go as far as to say it was a forgone conclusion Dunk would be preferred to Cook. Full credit to Dunk though as he has excelled and taken his chance well.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The season is long, we need a big squad and Sparrow will have a part to play, I've no doubt. Anyway, isn't it a bit shit writing off a player who was brilliant for us last season?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think it was touch and go at the start of the season between Dunk and Cook and Dunk got the nod and has taken advantage of it, so good luck to him now lets give Cook his chance if a change is thought to be needed. The debatable point is what game does Dunk play and get his 5th yellow and miss the next game, Which one does Gus think it will suit us best for him to miss. Given the choice I am sure Gus would settle for him to get a booking vs Palace and miss Ipswich away.

Cooks lack of experience didn't stop MA sending him on out of position against Man City, when he was younger and less experienced not that Gus would do the same.

I'm afraid l dont think their was ever any question in Gus's mind, Lewis Dunk was always going to get the vote over Steve Cook at centre half. I have no axe at all to grind with Cook, but Gus seems to be trying to fast track Dunky to the top iin a big way, even suggesting he had been overlooked for the England under 21 squad recently.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Gus praises all players in his squad to give them added confidence and just as quickly brings them back down to earth, so I wouldn't go as far as to say it was a forgone conclusion Dunk would be preferred to Cook. Full credit to Dunk though as he has excelled and taken his chance well.

Article from Sky Sports and quote from Poyet in October last year:

Brighton manager Gus Poyet has tipped rookie defender Lewis Dunk to have a bright future at Withdean Stadium. The 18-year-old made his first appearance of the season in Saturday's 1-1 draw at Tranmere as regular centre-half Adam El-Abd was suspended.

"He is an excellent young player who is going to enjoy many happy times with the club," said Poyet. "He can cope with any situation, with big players or quick players, because he is so calm and that's why he is going to play for me during the season. "He suits the way we play here and every defender at the club should be wary because he is a good player and I'm not afraid to play him this season."

Haven't heard him saying anything like that for Cook. As Cowfold says above, nothing against Cook, but Dunk has been in Gus' mind for a while now and was always going to play ahead of him

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
What about other midfielders that we have like Sparrow. Lua Lua. Buckley, Vincelot, Vicente not to mention those in the first team of Bridcutt Harley Dicker and Noone I am sure there are a number of options for a midfield place and I wouldn't put Navarro in the team. He is too slow and cannot tackle as well as Bridcutt or Vincelot.

You're going senile. Show me any other play in the team capable of producing the cross field ball he delivered versus leicester. He is a top quality passer, and excellent tackler and can read the game much better than the other 2 options we have in defensive midfield.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would think the best cross field long pass player at the club is either Greer or Harley. What makes football such a compulsive spoken about game is the difference in opinions of players and their ability and the fact that we are all better tactically than the manager

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I would think the best cross field long pass player at the club is either Greer or Harley. What makes football such a compulsive spoken about game is the difference in opinions of players and their ability and the fact that we are all better tactically than the manager

No one is saying they are better tactically than Gus, apart from you maybe who thinks Navarro shouldn't be anywhere near the first team!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here